Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
I think I'd blame the furniture manufacturer rather than Newmar. They may have been sold a bad batch of furniture. At least they're taking care of the problem.. Other manufacturers may throw you to the wolves.
That would be incorrect... the coach manufacturer specifies the material that the furniture maker uses. I was on a 3 way call with Newmar and Flexsteel and both Newmar and Flexsteel agreed that the material was picked by Newmar. My issue at the time was with piping... when I ordered the coach, Newmar agreed to not have the contrasting piping. Well, it came in with contrasting piping and I refused to accept the coach. So a few weeks later, they send new covers....this time the piping was a bit more subdued, but still jumped out at you. I again refused. Newmar then said piping was required and got the production manager from Flexsteel on the phone. Flexsteel said " no, piping is not required" so with that, Newmar agreed to have new covers made without piping. They were installed and I took delivery. Now, we have always had throws on all the furniture and now we are seeing peeling on the armrests,etc, Just junk that Newmar specified. I'll be contacting them to see if they will help in getting there recovered once again.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
I think I'd blame the furniture manufacturer rather than Newmar. They may have been sold a bad batch of furniture. At least they're taking care of the problem.. Other manufacturers may throw you to the wolves.
I don't agree. The furniture folks sell what the coach manufacturer orders. If they had ordered top grain cowhide we wouldn't be having this thread. Newmar decided to cheap out on the furniture and their customers are having to suffer the expense and frustration of having to deal with Newmar's decision. It's the same with several other items in Newmar coaches.

I guess top of the line pricing doesn't always equal top of the line products.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #17

Not just Newmar. My 2015 Bounder that I purchased in May has the same problem. When I called the dealer and talk to the sales person about it as I saw it online he said it look like nobody even sat in the furniture. I looked at many Bounders online and thought they were really beat up looking at the furniture. When I saw this one at the dealer I thought it looks great. Once I purchased it and got home and did some general research I found out all about the furniture issues. I also noticed that it looked like the dealer had replaced many of the cushions but left some of the old stuff. Now all of a sudden the old stuff is peeling really bad.
So now it looks like I will be shopping for furniture
billrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:31 AM   #18

For those of you that posted Newmar replaced the fabric, who did you contact at Newmar to get the process approved and rolling ?
Thanks
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #19

I called the regular customer service number. I have the names of two reps that are assigned to Ventana owners. Can't recall which one I actually spoke to. They had me sent a couple close up pics. After they got the pics we had another phone conversation where they said they would replace my captains chair but the colored piping was no longer available in the new chairs. I told them it wouldn't look right having one front seat with colored piping and one without. They didn't argue but instead just said they would go ahead and replace both seats with new at no cost to us.

We agreed on an October factory appointment date and that was it.

We are now monitoring our other furniture very closely. When this driver's seat began showing signs of flaking it was minor and only in a couple small spots. Now, just a few months later it is getting much worse and is very noticeable.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #20

2019 Bay Star 3124

Well here is our furniture story with our new Bay Star. We noticed after delivery, unfortunately, that the leather next to the stitching in several areas of the driver's seat was cracking. It looked like an old, worn leather seat. The entire seat was replaced under warranty. After we got it back from the Newmar dealership, noticed that the passenger seat was doing the same thing in different locations. Sent the picture to Newmar and they are replacing through FlexSteel the passenger seat via my private RV service center. They are all taking care of the problem so I cannot get too upset. The rest of the leather furniture including the two recliners have been checked and I cannot see any evidence of the same cracking.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:19 AM   #21

It seems that most of the flaking or cracking issues are confined to the front seats.

My driver's seat gets used a lot so I can understand it would be the first to show signs of a defect. However, since we are full time our couch gets used a lot also, probably about as much as the driver's seat. None of the other furniture shows any signs of flaking or cracking. Are they using a different material on these front seats?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:50 AM   #22

Newmar Furniture issues

Just want to respond to the Newmar offer of 50% off. Went thru the same process with them and found that I could get better material by going with Flexsteel directly.

Haven’t read the entire thread but the first thing that you need is the material tag that is stuffed under the Captain chair which identifies the Newmar PO # and material style. Then call Flexsteel direct, ask for Lisa Bauer at 563 585 8356.

Newmar offered the $1400 for the original material but I upgraded to the real Ultraleather for the 2 captain chairs covers at about $850. Same grain and color as original. Go to Flexsteel directly.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the same problem in both Captains chairs. And with the free standing recliner. I will continue to follow this thread.
Thanks
Old 09-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
When I had my Canyon Star, I went to Bradd & Hall and purchased a recliner. It was, the very SAME recliner used in the Dutch Star and other models. They used the color code of my CS seats to match exactly, using the same material Newmar selected. This was March 2013, I still have the recliner, and the covering is doing what you all are describing. My point is, this defect goes back several years.
It's happening on the arm (pic), and starting to on the headrest.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181120_162929.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	260351
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I just got off the phone with Newmar and was told that since my coach was 4 years out of warranty and that I was the second owner that there was nothing they could do for me.
My 2014 DS is having the same deterioration, I have had it since Nov 2014, what do you all suggest I do to get some results?
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As a second owner, there is nothing you can do to get this for free.

The best option is to get a quote direct from flexsteel, their prices are the best when going direct, and they *may* give you a further discount if you inform them of the issues. Dont expect it, but ask for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
I just got off the phone with Newmar and was told that since my coach was 4 years out of warranty and that I was the second owner that there was nothing they could do for me.
My 2014 DS is having the same deterioration, I have had it since Nov 2014, what do you all suggest I do to get some results?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #27

Redbaron73. On the road right now but will be Sending you a PM on my ME RC charge rate
Old 09-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just finished a two week repair appointment at the beautiful New Service facility. It’s amazing. However, while I was there I was amazed by the number of coaches getting new furniture installed. I spoke to a few owners that Newmar had agreed to replace ALL furniture even though they were several years out of warranty. I was pretty impressed.

Tags
furniture, newmar