Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #113

Newmar Owners Club
The furniture suppliers build furniture with the Newmar specified style and the Newmar supplied fabric. We were one of the first reporting the peeling issue, which started at the piping, to Newmar on our 2015 DS. We were on a trip when we found it and sent pictures to Newmar because we were worried about running out of the 1 year warranty. Newmar replaced our recliners and sofa, sent out the driver and passenger seats to be re-covered. We could choose any fabric from the Newmar DP line. We picked a Mountain Aire fabric which turned out the same spec as the failing DS fabric. Unfortunately that fabric on the front seats failed the same way a couple years later, so Newmar replaced the covers the second time.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 12:22 AM   #114

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Someone help me here.....I thought, dating back at least 3 years, that Mountain Aire on up had Villa furniture? In fact, I've seen that with my own eyes on dealer lots up close, and all over RV Trader on new units, models mentioned.....Villa tag hanging in plain sight.
"Andyh", if you chose MA coverings, wouldn't that have been Villa? Perhaps it was pre-Villa if it was before 2017?
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:21 AM   #115

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar Furniture issues

Yes. In 2015 the DS had Villa front seats and couch, Lambrecht recliners. The manufacturer does not matter. Newmar supplies the fabric to the furniture maker. In my case, I could have chosen anything from Ventana fabric to King Aire. For the second replacement I had no fabric choice.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:59 AM   #116

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Someone help me here.....I thought, dating back at least 3 years, that Mountain Aire on up had Villa furniture? In fact, I've seen that with my own eyes on dealer lots up close, and all over RV Trader on new units, models mentioned.....Villa tag hanging in plain sight.
"Andyh", if you chose MA coverings, wouldn't that have been Villa? Perhaps it was pre-Villa if it was before 2017?
Andy has answered and is correct. My 2015 had Lambrecht recliners but I just don't remember which couch it was or who made the driver and passenger seat. Recliners and couch were replaced and the driver and passenger seats were taken out and recovered right there in Nappanee. I just talked to the owner of my 2015 and he reports that the furniture is doing just fine. They use the coach a lot so that was good news.

But an important part here is that there is no such thing as MA or DS or London Aire fabric. It comes down to where ever they want to use it. They have tried to palm it off on "we do move fabrics down from KA and LA to DS". But that isn't true either. As I have said one particular fabric has a history of first being used in DS and MA, then in the next year Canyon Star, then Bay Star and two years later in MA. So if you were building a DS in that last year and paid the $750 for an upgrade to MA fabric you were paying for the same fabric that was used a year earlier in a Bay Star.

What I do not understand is why the continuing use of these horrible fabrics. Let's say that the cost of using a good fabric like Ultraleather, the real stuff, raises the production cost by $500 per unit. It is true that the cost over 2000 units ( I use this 2000 figure because the KA and some of the Essex production uses the Ultraleather product already) is about $1 Mil. and to replace the furniture in 100 units is only about $6 or $700,000. So looking at it that way they are saving $300 k a year. But the facts are that the cost in production is not relevant because it is passed on to the buyer. It's not like they have some stringent price point that they are trying to meet. That ship sailed with Shackleton's Endurance, in 1915. So the $1 mil is absorbed in the price. Where the $700,000 comes off of the bottom line as net loss. My guess is 100 units but the break even is about 148 units and it could be closer to 200 units a year which is more than the total cost difference in production and makes even less sense.

Not to mention the amount of bad customer relations this problem causes.

So much for business ethics or morals.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:46 AM   #117

Thanks very much for clarity

You have put it into financial terms, clearly and concisely. Thanks. I hope someone at Newmar is reading this thread. The company's reputation is at stake and their response to the concerns of customers who have relied on their good faith can be salvaged, if only they are listening.
BayStarRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #118

Newmar Owners Club
Our 2014 MA Villa captain chairs started to come apart 3 years ago got ahold of Newmar and got them replace with new ones which we think is made with better material. Sofas are still in good shape we live in it about 4 to 5 months a year so they have been used
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:56 AM   #119

2013 MA captain chairs replacement

I need to do something with my front seats. Fabric is my only problem. I’ve explored multiple avenues and would like input of people who have done similar things. My seats are Villa and I have the seat product numbers and confirmed with Villa. I do not want to go thru Newmar as they always double the price. I’ve looked at buying new seats from Bradd & Hall, new seats Directly from Villa, purchasing seat recover packages from Newmar and Villa, purchasing ultra leather and having a local shop recover from scratch.

Here are my questions: Newmar claims a local shop can easily place their recover packages. Is this true in others experience? ( I am guessing they are simply buying from Villa and then shipping to the consumer). Villa tells me if local shop puts on recover package they need to be really good and good enough to do it from scratch ( if this is case why just not let local guy do it from scratch?). Is this true in others experience? I do not have any pricing on anything yet. I will only accept ultra leather. What have others paid? Has anyone bought the captains chairs directly from Villa? Any hassles buying direct? Pricing?

Sorry for long post but I like to check out my options and this is driving me crazy. I am very capable of placing chairs myself. The rest of my furniture is in great shape. Thanks in advance for input!
Old 08-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #120

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Andy has answered and is correct. My 2015 had Lambrecht recliners but I just don't remember which couch it was or who made the driver and passenger seat. Recliners and couch were replaced and the driver and passenger seats were taken out and recovered right there in Nappanee. I just talked to the owner of my 2015 and he reports that the furniture is doing just fine. They use the coach a lot so that was good news.

But an important part here is that there is no such thing as MA or DS or London Aire fabric. It comes down to where ever they want to use it. They have tried to palm it off on "we do move fabrics down from KA and LA to DS". But that isn't true either. As I have said one particular fabric has a history of first being used in DS and MA, then in the next year Canyon Star, then Bay Star and two years later in MA. So if you were building a DS in that last year and paid the $750 for an upgrade to MA fabric you were paying for the same fabric that was used a year earlier in a Bay Star.

What I do not understand is why the continuing use of these horrible fabrics. Let's say that the cost of using a good fabric like Ultraleather, the real stuff, raises the production cost by $500 per unit. It is true that the cost over 2000 units ( I use this 2000 figure because the KA and some of the Essex production uses the Ultraleather product already) is about $1 Mil. and to replace the furniture in 100 units is only about $6 or $700,000. So looking at it that way they are saving $300 k a year. But the facts are that the cost in production is not relevant because it is passed on to the buyer. It's not like they have some stringent price point that they are trying to meet. That ship sailed with Shackleton's Endurance, in 1915. So the $1 mil is absorbed in the price. Where the $700,000 comes off of the bottom line as net loss. My guess is 100 units but the break even is about 148 units and it could be closer to 200 units a year which is more than the total cost difference in production and makes even less sense.

Not to mention the amount of bad customer relations this problem causes.

So much for business ethics or morals.
Thanks very much for a very informative reply!
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:20 AM   #121

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My 2012 MA s stored indoors in a climate controlled bay. AC's have been always set at 78 degrees while in storage. This year all of my furniture has started to peel. Called Newmar today, of course the MA is way past warranty, no issue. I have Villa Furniture. Newmar advised they currently do not have a furniture vendor. They advised me to contact Villa directly. I will try to find someone in South Florida to refinish of recover when we return.
Katpau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #122

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katpau View Post
My 2012 MA s stored indoors in a climate controlled bay. AC's have been always set at 78 degrees while in storage. This year all of my furniture has started to peel. Called Newmar today, of course the MA is way past warranty, no issue. I have Villa Furniture. Newmar advised they currently do not have a furniture vendor. They advised me to contact Villa directly. I will try to find someone in South Florida to refinish of recover when we return.
Interesting, so I guess all the new coaches come with folding card table chairs or no furniture at all ?
Maybe milk crates as captain and copilot seats ?
I will be replacing one of the sofa's with 2 theater recliners and will have the rest of the upholstery in the coach recovered by the guy that did our boat recovering.
Looks like we will be getting ultraleather for everything. It should last for many years.
As an aside, our previous coach was a Fleetwood and we had it for 13 years and had no issue with any of the furniture.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:40 AM   #123

Newmar replace our furniture 14 months ago and the new furniture is doing the same thing. so now we are looking at other options.
bonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
Same peeling issue on our Ventana furniture although not that bad currently. Newmar approved the replacement of the furniture coverings. Flexsteel is providing the NEW material and NIRV in Lewisville Tx will remove the furniture and send to an upholster shop. We're waiting on all the pieces to arrive from Flexsteel.
Hi. How did you get Newmar to replace defective fabric in captain chairs? We have a 2017 Newmar Ventana. Fabric started peeling after the first yr on drivers seat. At that time Newmar declined to replace. Now the passenger chair is starting to peel and flake on the seat cushion and small spots on the arm rests. Hiw do I need to approach Newmar to get our chairs replaced/ fixed? Thanks so much for your help!
whankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:31 PM   #125

Newmar Furniture issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by whankins View Post
Hi. How did you get Newmar to replace defective fabric in captain chairs? We have a 2017 Newmar Ventana. Fabric started peeling after the first yr on drivers seat. At that time Newmar declined to replace. Now the passenger chair is starting to peel and flake on the seat cushion and small spots on the arm rests. Hiw do I need to approach Newmar to get our chairs replaced/ fixed? Thanks so much for your help!

Two weeks ago I called customer service and sent pictures of my peeling captains chairs. After a few days they sent me a polite email saying sorry for your troubles but since your coach is a 2016 and you were not the original owner they declined to do anything. I questioned them regarding their inconsistencies in responding to this issue. I pointed out that my friend who is the second owner of a 2014 Dutch Star got his replaced. New covers were free but he had to pay for installation. The customer service rep asked for the name of my friend which I provided. She put me on hold and talked with a supervisor and then offered to sell me enough fabric to cover the captains chairs for 50% off through their parts dept. which is probably their cost. Still disappointed that Newmar is not stepping up to this issue. Our coach only has 19000 miles on it and is stored inside when not in use. Should not be having the seats falling apart this quickly. I might buy the fabric and have a local shop recover the seats. My concern is that if I go through this expense what are the chances of getting the same inferior fabric.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:40 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
Two weeks ago I called customer service and sent pictures of my peeling captains chairs. After a few days they sent me a polite email saying sorry for your troubles but since your coach is a 2016 and you were not the original owner they declined to do anything. I questioned them regarding their inconsistencies in responding to this issue. I pointed out that my friend who is the second owner of a 2014 Dutch Star got his replaced. New covers were free but he had to pay for installation. The customer service rep asked for the name of my friend which I provided. She put me on hold and talked with a supervisor and then offered to sell me enough fabric to cover the captains chairs for 50% off through their parts dept. which is probably their cost. Still disappointed that Newmar is not stepping up to this issue. Our coach only has 19000 miles on it and is stored inside when not in use. Should not be having the seats falling apart this quickly. I might buy the fabric and have a local shop recover the seats. My concern is that if I go through this expense what are the chances of getting the same inferior fabric.
I'm going to be buying ultraleather and having a local guy do the upholstery. Plenty of places you can buy it.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furniture, newmar