Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #1

Newmar Furniture issues

How many of you are dealing with the Newmar Furniture falling apart issue (the fake leather)? And how are you dealing with this? They say they will give us the new fabric. Is it all the furniture or ? And how the heck did this happen on such a upscale rig year after year? Im surprised that a company like NEWMAR had such an issue considering my THOR TUSCANY [moderator edit] (2012 Tuscany 36 UF) has interior that looks brand new!
Krittergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #2

I think I'd blame the furniture manufacturer rather than Newmar. They may have been sold a bad batch of furniture. At least they're taking care of the problem.. Other manufacturers may throw you to the wolves.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krittergal View Post
How many of you are dealing with the Newmar Furniture falling apart issue (the fake leather)? And how are you dealing with this? They say they will give us the new fabric. Is it all the furniture or ? And how the heck did this happen on such a upscale rig year after year? Im surprised that a company like NEWMAR had such an issue considering my THOR TUSCANY [moderator edit] (2012 Tuscany 36 UF) has interior that looks brand new!
Howdy, Kritter, and welcome to iRV2.

The RV furniture makers seem to use the same faux leather material and it appears that whoever makes it routinely has bad batches that make it out the door.

Doubtful it's a Newmar issue to the exclusion of other brands. There was a run of bad fake leather in RVs a few years ago that showed up in models built by multiple manufacturers. The problem is upstream of the coach builders.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #4

Newmar recently replaced all my furniture due to the cracking and peeling issue. Let's see how long the "new" fabric lasts.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I believe Newmar spec'd out a lower quality of Ultra Leather and ended up paying the price by having to replace it. It sounded like they tried to save money and got bit in the butt. I believe it was the year they used Villa Furniture instead of Flexsteel. I know many had theirs replaced and will hopefully come forward.

Here is a link to the story...http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/15-d...ce-330491.html
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar Furniture issues

I will not buy another piece of Flexsteel furniture.
We special ordered a leather sectional for our home. In five years the armrest had holes worn in the leather.
The Flexsteel leather furniture in our Ventana is peeling apart on all the piping on the seat cushions both bottom and back of sofa. This coach set for four years with very limited use prior to our purchasing. The furniture looked great in 2014 when we purchased it.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We are working on getting new captain chairs from villa in our 14 MA . They started to crack this past winter pretty bad all of the other furniture is fine
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same peeling issue on our Ventana furniture although not that bad currently. Newmar approved the replacement of the furniture coverings. Flexsteel is providing the NEW material and NIRV in Lewisville Tx will remove the furniture and send to an upholster shop. We're waiting on all the pieces to arrive from Flexsteel.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krittergal View Post
How many of you are dealing with the Newmar Furniture falling apart issue (the fake leather)? And how are you dealing with this? They say they will give us the new fabric. Is it all the furniture or ? And how the heck did this happen on such a upscale rig year after year? Im surprised that a company like NEWMAR had such an issue considering my THOR TUSCANY that I have for sale (2012 Tuscany 36 UF) has interior that looks brand new!

Although Newmar has had this problem, they have stepped up like no other brand and replaced entire furnishings on way out of warranty units. Not many can say that about their manufacturers.
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:32 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Had the cracking ultra leather in our 2015 Dutch Star early on. Newmar replaced it all with the fabric used in the 2016 Essex and it has worn very well. It also has a much better feel...softer and more flexible.
pshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:29 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Wow, our 25 year old cloth based Flex steel furniture looks brand new. Lifetime warranty on the frame, so we are going to keep it till we die, then don't care. On MH, fake leather looks ok, one place on the chair, is coming through, and a spring in the couch feels like it might pop through if sat on a long time, but for the most part it is holding up well. Oh, no dogs, cats, bears, or grandchildren, just us old farts. But then our coach looks like it just came out of the showroom, because we are not hard on furniture clean and treat the countertops, and oil the wood twice a year. .
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #12

Within the first few month our Flexsteel passenger seat started some peeling on the bottom plus a very small area that came unstitched. Made appointment at Nappanee and Newmar had Flexsteel replace all the material on it.

Driver's seat did the same thing this year. Sent Newmar CS photos and they gave us October appointment. This time they said they won't have Flexsteel recover but instead just switch out entire seat with a new unit.

Not sure why but both couches and dinette booth material is doing fine. We are full time and spend more hours on couch cushions and driver's chair.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just an FYI for those having their furniture changed. Make sure to communicate what piping (rolled trim) is on your current furniture if it has piping. During the ongoing process of changing our material they sent a different color piping and it didn't match the interior color scheme of the coach. We're now waiting for the correct piping/material to be delivered. Mid year of 2016 they changed the piping/material.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #14

Same problem

Unfortunately, I am having the exact same issues. I'm not happy at all about this. This is my second Newmar and I never had any issues with the first DSDP I had. This one is a 15 Ventana LE. I just got off the phone with Newmar and the only thing they are willing to do is sell me new covers 50% off. Of course, the original fabric is no longer available (surprise, surprise!), so they would have to send me swatches to choose from which, of course, will more than likely not match the rest of my interior! All of this at a cost of $1,400! Needless to say, I am very disappointed in Newmar.

BTW. This is my first forum post I have ever done, so you guys may have to guide me along the way. Thank you in advance! 😉
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190910_213124.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	259964   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190910_213041.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	259965  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190910_213027.jpg