Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #1

Newmar Future

What a Shame
I am relative new to the Newmar world (2000 and 2007 Kountry Star). I have been RVing since 1960. Newmar has provided me with a superior product when compared to my other units (Homemade fold up, Shasta TT, Holiday Rambler TT, Air Stream TT, Avion TT, American Eagle MH).

I have been concerned about slide outs from the beginning, but felt some comfort after learning that Newmar invented slide outs and had problem-free slide out systems. My 2000 and 2007 Kountry Star units have had no problems.

I am dismayed to learn of the Newmar problems with full-wall-slide outs. There is a continuing thread about full wall slide out problems on this forum, and I have personal contact with a friend who is in deep trouble because of a Newmar full-wall-slide out problem. She is a lone female and the full-wall-slide out has malfunctioned. The problem is, maybe, being repaired by a Newmar dealer, but in the meantime, she is up the creek. No one seems to say what the problem is.

But that’s not the point of this post. The point is that Newmar now has a really large problem. There are issues with a large number of full wall slide outs from a few years ago to date. Just correcting the problem in future years won’t remove the issue. Advising existing owners to use “special” methods to get around a defect is not in Newmar’s interest. The full-wall-slide out has been a disaster, can Newmar survive? I hope so!

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
What a Shame
I am relative new to the Newmar world (2000 and 2007 Kountry Star). I have been RVing since 1960. Newmar has provided me with a superior product when compared to my other units (Homemade fold up, Shasta TT, Holiday Rambler TT, Air Stream TT, Avion TT, American Eagle MH).

I have been concerned about slide outs from the beginning, but felt some comfort after learning that Newmar invented slide outs and had problem-free slide out systems. My 2000 and 2007 Kountry Star units have had no problems.

I am dismayed to learn of the Newmar problems with full-wall-slide outs. There is a continuing thread about full wall slide out problems on this forum, and I have personal contact with a friend who is in deep trouble because of a Newmar full-wall-slide out problem. She is a lone female and the full-wall-slide out has malfunctioned. The problem is, maybe, being repaired by a Newmar dealer, but in the meantime, she is up the creek. No one seems to say what the problem is.

But that’s not the point of this post. The point is that Newmar now has a really large problem. There are issues with a large number of full wall slide outs from a few years ago to date. Just correcting the problem in future years won’t remove the issue. Advising existing owners to use “special” methods to get around a defect is not in Newmar’s interest. The full-wall-slide out has been a disaster, can Newmar survive? I hope so!

Good Luck!
Wil
Will,

My understanding is level the coach on it's jacks. Then put the slide out. Put the slide in, then take the coach off of it's jacks.

That said there are folks including long time dealers that do not do that. When we first saw our coach three weeks ago it had all three slide out and was not on it jacks. This was a big time Newmar Dealer.

There will be folks that argue and scream and holler but in time they will change. Me it's jacks down, slides out, slides in, jacks up.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Vinny,
You are under warranty, I would do what is recommended by manufacture. Small slides can go out the way you explained. But for six months or more now, Newmar has stated to launch FWS first then level coach. I have followed guidelines and have a FWS out of alinement and waiting on repairs. FWS slide has been a huge conversation and many post.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #4

Quote:
What a Shame

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01
Sadly, (with only a few exceptions), nearly every "quality conscious" RV manufacturer has been sold... bought ...and resold, (either for the $$ or so they could escape responsibility for their product, or both).

It's the American way.

Mel
'96 safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wow.....I believe there are 4-5 people who posted on here about slide issues and you have extrapolated that to Newmar is failing as a coach manufacturer. Do you realize that this forum represents less than one percent of the RVing community and Newmar has made thousands of coaches without issues.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Wow.....I believe there are 4-5 people who posted on here about slides issues and you have extrapolated that to Newmar is failing as a coach manufacturer. Do you realize that this forum represent less than one percent of the RVing community and Newmar has made thousands of coaches without issues.
Well said Don. Some folks seem like they would rather gripe than offer suggestions and solutions.
TwoCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Just remember Thor

Thor Palazzo got totally trashed because of slide out issues, Entegra stopped the 44F builds because of full wall slide out issues and now they do not offer any floorplans with full wall slides.

Newmar is now embarking on a new technology for them and that is the hydraulics for the full wall slide. They are also putting tile in the slide. For me, this is great news as we have never liked the carpet. However, the jury is out on how well this works and until deliveries start to roll out of the factory we won't know if this corrects the issues some are having with FWS.

I am sure hoping that this proves to be as great as it appears in the brochures. To me it is a winner until proven otherwise and is not going to deter me to placing my order in the next couple of months. However, you can bet that order will be done with either a 5K deposit or a refundable deposit. This way I will have some assurance in the next 7 months on any issues with the 2016's.

I don't think the slide issues to date will be a major negative to Newmar. Will really be how they handle the issues for individual owners. Yes, iRV2 may be a small sample of Newmar owners, but with google and more and more people flocking to social media, even the ones that don't post do read.

rg

Jim

Rg

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCorners View Post
Well said Don. Some folks seem like they would rather gripe than offer suggestions and solutions.
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Wow.....I believe there are 4-5 people who posted on here about slide issues and you have extrapolated that to Newmar is failing as a coach manufacturer. Do you realize that this forum represents less than one percent of the RVing community and Newmar has made thousands of coaches without issues.
WOW....glad I read your post Don......I was getting ready to sell my KA
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Huh? Where did this come from?
Old 06-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #10

I would not buy a coach with a full wall slide I just can't see how cutting the whole side out of a coach can ever be a good thing. How are things down in Pawleys island?We are cooking here in Hot Columbia
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCorners View Post
Quote:
X2!
Old 06-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Let others have there say without belittling them. I've run into my share of Newmar's foolish engineering and a long list of poor workmanship.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #13

Many don't see the problem!

A woman living alone (I don't know why) bought a Newmar to travel and live in. It was a Vantana with a full wall slide out. She did all the things instructed to do. Then she tried to deploy the full slide out by pushing the proper switch. It didn't work well! She now a large bill to get the thing repaired.

She has no unique (male) RV knowledge, nor a desire to get any. She just wanted to pay her money and get a product to perform at least as good as her Ford auto. The Ford just runs when it has fuel and is started normally -- no extra repair cost. Her Newmar is now out of action until expensive repairs are made to her full wall slide out.

That just isn't right. The slid out should work at least as good as prior Newmar slide outs.

If you don't think this lack of good design and/or quality control won't hurt Newmar, you are mistaken.

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Many don't see the problem!

A woman living alone (I don't know why) bought a Newmar to travel and live in. It was a Vantana with a full wall slide out. She did all the things instructed to do. Then she tried to deploy the full slide out by pushing the proper switch. It didn't work well! She now a large bill to get the thing repaired.

She has no unique (male) RV knowledge, nor a desire to get any. She just wanted to pay her money and get a product to perform at least as good as her Ford auto. The Ford just runs when it has fuel and is started normally -- no extra repair cost. Her Newmar is now out of action until expensive repairs are made to her full wall slide out.

That just isn't right. The slid out should work at least as good as prior Newmar slide outs.

If you don't think this lack of good design and/or quality control won't hurt Newmar, you are mistaken.

Good Luck!
Wil

Tags
newmar