Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #1

Hi. I'm new to this and i'm wondering if anyone has a 37' newmar grand star. we are looking at a 2009 and i'm wondering about the quality, etc. any input? thanks!
Naomi Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #2

Hi. I'm new to this and i'm wondering if anyone has a 37' newmar grand star. we are looking at a 2009 and i'm wondering about the quality, etc. any input? thanks!
Old 09-19-2008, 02:51 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. I have little knowledge on the Grand Star, except that they are a quality rig. I'm sure a member better equipped to answer you will trip in soon.

Peter
Old 09-19-2008, 03:05 PM   #4

Thanks, Doc. I hope so!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:55 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i'm wondering about the quality, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! Welcome to the forum! When we walked thru them at the factory they looked really good to us. Maybe someone, with one, will talk about their experiences. Good luck with your purchase, and let us know how you made out. Paul
Old 09-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #6

Welcome!! While you wait for a GS owner to answer, do you have any specific questions? Many Newmar products have a lot of similar characteristics that non-GS owners could answer.

Newmar is one of the best RV builders.

Are you looking at the gas or diesel version?
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #7

HI and thanks for the replies. The specific one that we're checking out has the FRED engine, front engine diesel. What's the difference between the front engine diesel and the rear? Is one better then the other? We're mainly wondering about the quality of the coach as compared to a say winnebago advenuterer or itasca sunrise or suncruiser? Have any specifics or input? Thanks again for your support and help.
Naomi
Old 09-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #8

The front engine diesel is much noisier than a rear engine.

The most important thing is to start with the floorplans that meet your need and are within your price range.

Test drive them and listen to the noise difference.

The rear engine Newmars also have Comfort Drive, which is a Newmar exclusive for another year or so. It makes a big difference.

Newmar definitley has a great reputation. Keep in mind that all the manufacturers by from the same list of appliances.

What floorplans do you like?
Old 09-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #9

Hi, roadrunner and thanks for your communication. do you have a rear or front engine diesel? we'll certainly keep that in mind about the noise level. But how does FRED compare to rear engine diesel? Is there a difference, do you know and why is the Comfort Drive only available for another year and is that only on the rear diesel? Is there a difference in quality on the front or the rear diesel? Sorry for all the ?.
Do you know how Newmar stacks up to Winnebago or Itasca? We were looking at the 2009 Grand Star 3750 and 3753, altho i think 37' is going to be too big for just the two of us. on the other hand, we also really like the Class A gas Winnebago Adventurer and the Class A 32H Itasca Sunrise. It gets so very confusing, ya know what i mean?
Old 09-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #10

I haven't driven a FRED. I've just read a few reviews about them.

My Ventana is a diesel pusher. It's the beginning of the Newmar diesel pusher line. I'm pretty happy with it.

Comfort Drive will be an exclusive for another couple of years. That doesn't mean Newmar will stop using it, it means that other manufacturers can start using it.

I'm still new to the RV world. Winnebago didn't have a model that met my criteria, so I didn't look too closely at them.

I needed bunkbeds and the ability to tow over 5000 pounds.

If you're interested in a shorter diesel pusher, you could look at the Newmar Ventana 3430 and 3432.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #11

Comfort Drive is only available on a Spartan Chassis. It was developed by TRW.

The FRED is a Freightliner Chassis.

The FRED is shocks and springs, meant to compete with gas chassis. The Spartan is an Air-ride, which jumps up in cost.

When I buy my coach to go full-time, I hope to get an air-ride if I can afford it, because I will be doing a lot of driving the first couple of years. If you are not going to put on tons of miles, I don't advise spending the extra money for an air-ride chassis.

When comparing the FRED to Ford and Workhorse, I like the ride stability of the FRED the best.

Regarding Winnebago vs Itasca vs Newmar, they are all well built and supported products. As 69RoadRunner says, start with the floorplan that works for you. That is the most important factor.

2002 25' Mallard Trailer
kampingkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Using this LINK you can compare models. The best thing to do is drive a Fred and compare between the different chassis. The newer Freds are alot less noise prone than models in the late 90's.
Good luck in your quest and welcome to the Newmar forum and irv2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:33 AM   #13

Well good morning and how things do change overnight!!! At about 8pm last evening, my husband and I became proud owners of a 2008 37GL Winnebago Adventurer for an incredible price! It was an offer we couldn't refuse. It's a rear gas pusher, whatever the heck that means, but at least the engine will be in the back and the floor won't be so hot as it was in our 29' Jayco Grayhawk, Class C. So, I thank you for your input and I know you'll probably feel like I wasted your time and I do sincerely apologize for that. It was just an incredible price and for the length, good grief, couldn't pass it up. Happy RVing and thanks again so much. P.S. You all saw the movie RV, right? If not, it's a must! Sincerely, Naomi
Old 09-21-2008, 05:17 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">my husband and I became proud owners of a 2008 37GL Winnebago Adventurer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! Congrats on your purchase!! Paul