Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2022, 08:46 PM   #1

Newmar installed a Victron inverter/charger in our 2022 DSDP

Due to lack of availability, Newmar installed a Victron MultiPlus 3000va in our 2022 DSDP 4081 in lieu of the usual Magnum.

Newmar installed it on the ceiling of the bay closest to the battery bay, where I think they usually install the Magnum. Recently I've learned that mounting the Victron MultiPlus on the ceiling with the control panel facing down is not a recommended installation orientation, due to inefficient cooling of the unit that can lead to overheating, failure, etc. Vertical mounting on a wall is preferred, followed by horizontal mounting on a wall.

I'm going to begin a discussion about this with Newmar and NIRVC while we're still under warranty, but before I do I wanted to see if anyone has any advice, ideas, encouragement, etc. I'm not sure there's a nearby wall surface to which the inverter can be moved due to the open nature of the bays in that area.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2022, 09:05 PM   #2

Same here. Are you dealing with any KIB panel issues, where lighting and floor heat on/off buttons become inop?
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
Same here. Are you dealing with any KIB panel issues, where lighting and floor heat on/off buttons become inop?
No, we are not having those issues.

On an unrelated note to you, as a fellow Victron in a DS owner...

When we took delivery at Newmar, I had some questions about the Auto Gen Start (AGS) settings in the KIB LCD control panel in the cabinet above the driver's seat. After bringing in an expert, I learned that when using the Victron in the DSDP, they have to configure the KIB panel using the Kountry Star settings instead of the Dutch Star settings. These are accessed by touching the screen for 15-20 seconds, touching the "X" in each corner of the screen to calibrate it, then choosing "Kountry Star" from the menu. You can get into so much trouble in this menu, I WOULD NOT suggest you go into it without direction from Newmar.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:47 PM   #4

Our 2022 Super Star also came with a Victron inverter, but fortunately it is mounted in a normal orientation on a side wall of one of the basement storage compartments.

Here is a link to a post with more info on the Victron inverters, which you may find to be relevant:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/out...ml#post6261552
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:55 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting…. I really like my Victron solar controller and would probably move to a Victron inverter if my Magnum failed. I am surprised to hear of these issues as the Victrons are often the go-to devices for a lot of folks….
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:18 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Is there enough cable/wiring to move the unit to the front wall (center) of the pass thru bay? Or, add some spacers to space it down from the ceiling an inch or two to give it more airflow.

The bays really get hot and probably the hottest spot in the undercarriage is where Newmar mounts their inverters. On my 2014 DS, I added an inline bathroom fan (120 volt) to the bay, just behind the Oasis unit to draw air off of the bay ceiling on hot days. I'm looking at doing the same for my 2019 DS.

This may not be an issue for everyone, but out west, those bays get well over 100 degrees.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:34 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Is there enough cable/wiring to move the unit to the front wall (center) of the pass thru bay? Or, add some spacers to space it down from the ceiling an inch or two to give it more airflow.

The bays really get hot and probably the hottest spot in the undercarriage is where Newmar mounts their inverters. On my 2014 DS, I added an inline bathroom fan (120 volt) to the bay, just behind the Oasis unit to draw air off of the bay ceiling on hot days. I'm looking at doing the same for my 2019 DS.

This may not be an issue for everyone, but out west, those bays get well over 100 degrees.
Hi Don - I agree about temps. I also keep track of the heat down there and have struggled to get the heat out. So do you have the bath fan just moving the air around? I would love to vent it, but not sure how.

May vent it into the battery bay someday...
Old 08-03-2022, 05:55 PM   #8

Love My Victron Inverter - So Far

I have a 2022 DS that was delivered in April. So far I am thrilled with having the Victron over the Magnum inverter that was in my 2017 Ventana. I have added 860W of solar with a Victron Solar Controller and the interface has been excellent. I now have one display that shows and allows me to control it all. Much more intuitive than the Magnum. Also the Bluetooth interface is handy.

I have noticed that the bays are warm to hot. It is already 100 degrees outside so I know the bays are hot. I agree it would be a good idea to vent that center bay to the outside...maybe through the battery bay using a temperature controlled 12V fan?
Frank94062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:06 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank94062 View Post
I have a 2022 DS that was delivered in April. So far I am thrilled with having the Victron over the Magnum inverter that was in my 2017 Ventana. I have added 860W of solar with a Victron Solar Controller and the interface has been excellent. I now have one display that shows and allows me to control it all. Much more intuitive than the Magnum. Also the Bluetooth interface is handy.

I have noticed that the bays are warm to hot. It is already 100 degrees outside so I know the bays are hot. I agree it would be a good idea to vent that center bay to the outside...maybe through the battery bay using a temperature controlled 12V fan?
I would love to have it all in one interface....

I put a few Bluetooth thermometers around to keep track of how hot it gets.
https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Tempera...%2C115&sr=1-15

I recently closed up my battery compartment when I installed lithium's, but I did leave a vent in there to be able to keep that compartment cool as it also has my solar controller in it. I was thinking of using a few computer fans and something like this temp control with them to vent from the main basement through the battery compartment.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3UP1U7UG&psc=1

But I like the bath fan idea as well...as it would move a lot more air.

I apologize if this is hijacking this thread....
Old 08-03-2022, 08:05 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

On my 2014 DS, I drilled through the floor, just in front of the Oasis unit. I used 3" pvc tubing (mounted vertically) with a screen on the end to keep bugs out. I mounted the fan on the top of the tubing, so it pulled air off of the bay ceiling and pushed it out under the coach. I used a power cord that plugged into an outlet in the bay. I would unplug it at the end of a trip.

On that coach, I would crack a bay door open. If I add one to my current coach, I will drill a 3" to 4" hole in the bay wall between the pass thru and the batteries, add a grill and let the fan draw air from the battery bay, which is open. This way I won't have to worry about a bay being open/unlocked.

Lastly, because of the heat, on my current coach, I placed one of those 3' fire extinguisher tubes around the inverter, brain farting on the brand name, and added a smoke detector to the bay. It may be overkill, but the blast from the fire extinguisher exploding or the smoke detector should be enough to alert us to an issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:40 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If I remember correctly the 2812 and 3012 have a internal temperature controlled relay that could be used to operate a fan. I think that is what it's for.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:51 PM   #12

To close on this issue (sort of), I called Newmar and communicated my concern about their installation being in conflict with Victron's instructions. Support agent Amy put me on hold, and when she came back she said that Newmar had conducted a "line audit" during production when installing these Victron inverter/chargers and that the method of installation was approved and would not violate the Victron warranty.

So I guess if the inverter stops functioning in the five year warranty period due to overheating because of its installation location, I'm covered.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:05 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Warranty issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllingham View Post
To close on this issue (sort of), I called Newmar and communicated my concern about their installation being in conflict with Victron's instructions. Support agent Amy put me on hold, and when she came back she said that Newmar had conducted a "line audit" during production when installing these Victron inverter/chargers and that the method of installation was approved and would not violate the Victron warranty.

So I guess if the inverter stops functioning in the five year warranty period due to overheating because of its installation location, I'm covered.
What about five years and one day??
Also, what does Victron say about it?
Paul8020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:39 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
I am dealing with these issues all the time. Only fix for me is to power down everything from the basement shutoffs to the breaker panel as well as the 50A post and reset.
Vagabond51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, install, inverter, led, newmar