Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #1

Newmar Kountry Star 3624

Looking at a 2007 which doesn't have Comfort Drive, but it's a good price. Is there an aftermarket stabilizer that in essence performs the same function? I haven't even driven a diesel pusher yet, so would just like to get some opinions. Has anyone driven this coach? Would it really be worth the several thousand dollars to look for a 2008 with CD and larger engine? This one has a Cummins 7.2L ISL 350? Thanks, Jim
HayesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2018, 01:01 PM   #2

I don't think this is something you can read about. I think you have to drive and compare the two for yourself. And then do your best to imagine the difference after 4+ hours at the wheel.

I was in your exact situation a couple of months ago -- my search had come down to a 2007 KSDP 3624 and a 2008 KSDP 3623. Fortunately for me, the two specific coaches made the decision for me. The specific KSDP 3624 I looked at was in pretty shabby condition compared to the 2008 KSDP 3623 I looked at (and bought). And the dealer with the 3624 seemed clueless and ambivalent.

I never drove that 2007 without CD so I can't compare. All I know is that the 2008 I now have with CD is amazing! It's much easier to drive long distances than my 24 ft. one-ton Chinook -- which is a very nice driving RV.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:47 PM   #3

We had a similar experience. 2 identical 3910s. A 2007, and 2008. We bought the 08. The flat TVs and the full vinyl tile floor sold us. The comfort drive was a bonus. Now that we’ve had it it was the right decision. Drive both to see the difference.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
With a KSDP you are better off with CD. This coach was Newmars entry level DP. The chassis was entry level.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
With a KSDP you are better off with CD. This coach was Newmars entry level DP. The chassis was entry level.
I don't think you're right about the KSDP being Newmar's "Entry Level" diesel pusher back then. Entry level would have been the Ventana. Then the KS was the next step up.

Our 2008 KSDP has the nicer Spartan Mountain Master GT chassis with side-mounted radiator and IFS. And if you compare chassis specs for the Ventanas and Kountry Stars back then, you'll see that the KSDP's have 12" longer wheelbases than their same overall length Ventana brothers.

When I realized the Ventanas had shorter wheelbases, I stopped looking at them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #6

KSDP also has larger 400 Cummins. Even as an entry level coach it still has same quality of the premium models. Same kitchen cabinets.Same washer/dryer. Same alloy rims. Same quality paint. We are very pleased with ours.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:31 AM   #7

2008 Hope to find one I can afford!
Old 07-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I’ll take a little different path. We have a 2007 KSDP w/o CD. Sure like the CD, no question about it. However when I was looking at the new then leftover coach and compared with the cost of a new 2008 I desided it was not worth the difference in cost. I have never regretted the decision. Just saying if you find a nice coach that is what you want w/o CD you have to a decision. How much is CD worth to you. I would not trade our KSDP for anything, love it and it fits our needs better than anything else.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgoin4it View Post
I’ll take a little different path. We have a 2007 KSDP w/o CD. Sure like the CD, no question about it. However when I was looking at the new then leftover coach and compared with the cost of a new 2008 I desided it was not worth the difference in cost. I have never regretted the decision. Just saying if you find a nice coach that is what you want w/o CD you have to a decision. How much is CD worth to you. I would not trade our KSDP for anything, love it and it fits our needs better than anything else.

That’s really the most important aspect. If your happy and you know it........
Old 07-30-2018, 11:02 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi WoodyS,
I was referring to the 07. I do own an 05 and speak from experience.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:53 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Insofar as aftermarket is concerned, I found there is no aftermarket stabilizer that will work on mine...at least of the most talked about companies on this board. The particular front suspension on mine is not stabilizer friendly.

But to tell you the truth, I find I don't need one. I really like how mine handles.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayesJ View Post
2008 Hope to find one I can afford!
When I was looking I went through all the old Newmar brochures and compared standard and optional features between the different lines and models and model years I could afford. Unfortunately, after we bought our 2008 KSDP 3623, I deleted all those documents. But you can do the same.

For the most part, the later the model year, the more optional features that became standard. And the later model years just plain have more features period. And by the same token, the higher the model in the Newmar line, the more features that are standard. For example, standard features on Dutch Stars, become standard on Kountry Stars a year or two after they're on DS models. And the Ventana series got the same features a year or two after the Kountry Stars. It gets a bit confusing, but if you read all the fine print, you can figure it out. And some of the features that became standard are really nice to have.

So I recommend downloading the various brochures and comparing features. You might find some "deal-breaker" features you can't do without. So that will help your search.

Besides the CD, I recall that the 2007 KSDP had an exhaust brake, while the 2008 KSDP had a two-stage compression brake. The two-stage compression brake is "better." It offers two levels of braking (high and low), and I understand that both stages offer more engine braking than the exhaust brake. But you do have to pay attention to local road signs as the loud compression brake is banned in some communities. I don't know if those engine brake bans include exhaust brakes or not. I've never owned a vehicle with the exhaust brake and don't know how loud they are.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-30-2018, 06:22 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We bought a used ‘07 KSDP 3912 in 2011. It has the 350 ISL. We are more than pleased with it.
Comfort Drive would be very nice....a tag axle would be nice as well. We found a rig that we liked the floor plan, has lots, and lots of nice features. And it fit our pocket book. No regrets.

We like the ride as is, better than any of our 3 previous motorhomes. IFS , Spartan Mountain Master chassis is top notch. I wanted a 400ISL, this one is 350. After doing my homework, I learned that the 350 and the 400 are the exact same engine! Just detuned to 350. For $700 It can be reprogrammed. I haven’t found a need to spend the $700 bucks in 3 years. A few hours in the mountains at 10 mph slower is no big deal.

It is just my opinion, but I think the Kountry Star is the best bang for the buck in the industry.
1. Newmar Quality is fundamental, and consistent thru out the lines
2. IFS...Mountain Master chassis is the same as Dutch Star and other models
3. Tranny, is the same
4. A/C heat pumps are the same
5. TVs radios the same

And lots of other fundamental things. Now glitzie stuff is the difference ( things the DW likes). Fancier carpet, pretty led light trims, crown molding, leather furniture.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:02 AM   #14

Points to ponder. Main concern is the 3624 being a shorter coach, how it would handle without CD. I have a 30 ft gasser on a F53 frame and it wears me out! Would like to hear from someone with that particular coach without CD. Thanks for your responses!

Tags
newmar