Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2021, 09:09 PM   #1

Newmar LA 4551 or 4589?

Trying to decide between a LA 4551 and 4589. In as much as I liked the 4551 floor plan, I came to the following conclusion.

Given the choice between the two models, what would you choose?

4551 Pro’s:
1. Like the spacious floor plan

4551 Con’s:
1. Full wall slide out (FWS) is very heavy and will list to one side when fully extended and stabilizer is retracted.
2. Fully loaded pantry and refrigerator adds to excessive weight on FWS.
3. Repeated open/close FWS cycles may lead to early structural stress and mechanical wear & tear over time.
4. The lack of rigid wall support along the length of the FWS is susceptible to chassis flex.
5. Chassis flex can lead to adverse driving and handling experience.
6. Can have problems opening and closing storage doors when leveled on uneven ground due to chassis flex.

4589 Pro’s:
1. Replaces the heavy FWS with counter balancing slide outs on both sides.
2. The mid bath provides much needed structural support mid coach.
3. Additional rigidity results in better road handling and driving experience.
4. More balanced weight distribution from four equally spaced quad slide outs.
5. Pantry is located on the main floor and not on the slide out resulting in better weight distribution.
6. The standard slide out ILO the FWS is less susceptible to structural mechanical stress and more reliable to repeated open/close cycles over time.
7. Less likely to have open/closing issues on storage doors from chassis flex.
8. It has a dedicated office desk. (Small though it might be, it’s still functional)

4589 Con’s:
1. They cut some corners.
2. The cedar lining on the rear closet is on the rear wall only and not on the two side walls.
3. The bathroom sink backsplash is on the back wall only and not the the two side walls.
4. Not sure what other corners they cut that is not visible to the casual observer.

You might ask, why all the fuss on structural rigidity and balanced weight distribution? In a few words it’s longevity, reliability, and luxurious driving experience.

The STAR steel superstructure is a true engineering marvel designed to provide structural support in the absence of a fixed side wall support. It works amazingly well to address structural rigidity issues on rigs with FWS. However the addition of a mid bath with full structural support can only improve what is already a solid foundation. When driving down the road, structural rigidity makes all the difference in the world on overall driving experience and luxuriousness of the coach. Excessive chassis flex can lead to premature wear and tear over time in the form of cracked floor tiles, structural stress, leaks, cabinetry working loose, road noise intrusion, and sloppy driving experience. The benefit of structural rigidity is longevity, less structural wear and tear over time, less cracked floor tiles, increased cabinetry durability, and luxurious road driving experience.

In so far as the interior decor and trim, they are on par between the 4551 and the 4589. The batten insulation in the roof and side wall appear to be of the same quality and build. The storage compartment seems to be the same hopefully with the same STAR foundation between the two models. The primary difference between the two, 4551 & 4589, is the additional structural rigidity from the mid bath and the balanced weight distribution between the four slide outs.

I don't know about others, but I'm very impressed with Newmar's DP structural and overall engineering design. Based on overall bang for the buck or value, the LA is hard to beat.

Currently Newmar doesn’t offer the 4589 in Essex or KA. Should they?
Road Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2021, 09:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have owned 2 newmars with full slides.

The hwh hydraulic slide is very strong.

There is no listing no matter what weight.

Even 6 adults all sitting on the extended full wall slide, 4 in booth and 2 on couch, weight is no issue.

The bay doors on the driver side have a special hinge that drops the door. No binding, no touching the slide.

Bottom line: the cons you listed for the 4551 do not have facts supporting them..get the Floorplan you want!
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Hogg View Post
Trying to decide between a LA 4551 and 4589. In as much as I liked the 4551 floor plan, I came to the following conclusion.

Given the choice between the two models, what would you choose?

4551 Pro’s:
1. Like the spacious floor plan

4551 Con’s:
1. Full wall slide out (FWS) is very heavy and will list to one side when fully extended and stabilizer is retracted.
2. Fully loaded pantry and refrigerator adds to excessive weight on FWS.
3. Repeated open/close FWS cycles may lead to early structural stress and mechanical wear & tear over time.
4. The lack of rigid wall support along the length of the FWS is susceptible to chassis flex.
5. Chassis flex can lead to adverse driving and handling experience.
6. Can have problems opening and closing storage doors when leveled on uneven ground due to chassis flex.

4589 Pro’s:
1. Replaces the heavy FWS with counter balancing slide outs on both sides.
2. The mid bath provides much needed structural support mid coach.
3. Additional rigidity results in better road handling and driving experience.
4. More balanced weight distribution from four equally spaced quad slide outs.
5. Pantry is located on the main floor and not on the slide out resulting in better weight distribution.
6. The standard slide out ILO the FWS is less susceptible to structural mechanical stress and more reliable to repeated open/close cycles over time.
7. Less likely to have open/closing issues on storage doors from chassis flex.
8. It has a dedicated office desk. (Small though it might be, it’s still functional)

4589 Con’s:
1. They cut some corners.
2. The cedar lining on the rear closet is on the rear wall only and not on the two side walls.
3. The bathroom sink backsplash is on the back wall only and not the the two side walls.
4. Not sure what other corners they cut that is not visible to the casual observer.

You might ask, why all the fuss on structural rigidity and balanced weight distribution? In a few words it’s longevity, reliability, and luxurious driving experience.

The STAR steel superstructure is a true engineering marvel designed to provide structural support in the absence of a fixed side wall support. It works amazingly well to address structural rigidity issues on rigs with FWS. However the addition of a mid bath with full structural support can only improve what is already a solid foundation. When driving down the road, structural rigidity makes all the difference in the world on overall driving experience and luxuriousness of the coach. Excessive chassis flex can lead to premature wear and tear over time in the form of cracked floor tiles, structural stress, leaks, cabinetry working loose, road noise intrusion, and sloppy driving experience. The benefit of structural rigidity is longevity, less structural wear and tear over time, less cracked floor tiles, increased cabinetry durability, and luxurious road driving experience.

In so far as the interior decor and trim, they are on par between the 4551 and the 4589. The batten insulation in the roof and side wall appear to be of the same quality and build. The storage compartment seems to be the same hopefully with the same STAR foundation between the two models. The primary difference between the two, 4551 & 4589, is the additional structural rigidity from the mid bath and the balanced weight distribution between the four slide outs.

I don't know about others, but I'm very impressed with Newmar's DP structural and overall engineering design. Based on overall bang for the buck or value, the LA is hard to beat.

Currently Newmar doesn’t offer the 4589 in Essex or KA. Should they?
According to your signature, you've already ordered the 4589 ??
Old 11-16-2021, 07:46 AM   #4

Not really sure where you are getting your information, but both floor plans are built on the same chassis and are quality machines. The differences you mention are simply due to the floorplan... there is a reason that the 4551 is one of the most popular plans in the luxury line (for similar reasons as the 4369 in the DPs). I highly doubt there are any long term studies on the reliability and durability of a FWS vs. no FWS beyond owner anecdotes.
arein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:05 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arein View Post
Not really sure where you are getting your information, but both floor plans are built on the same chassis and are quality machines. The differences you mention are simply due to the floorplan... there is a reason that the 4551 is one of the most popular plans in the luxury line (for similar reasons as the 4369 in the DPs). I highly doubt there are any long term studies on the reliability and durability of a FWS vs. no FWS beyond owner anecdotes.

My first newmar coach was a 2013 DSDP 4347. This had the original FWS (ie: NON-HWH). My first year was pure trouble with this slide. It had nothing to do with weight, but rather poor installation. Once the slide was fixed, it never failed again.

The chassis was prone to twisting in the 2013 DSDP. Due to the twist, the bay doors would sometimes hit the bottom of the slide when extended. This happened on all floorplans, including those without the FWS.

Newmar introduced the STAR chassis in 2016, and in 2016/2017 they introduced the new hinges for the bay doors on the driver side. The star chassis resolved all flexing issues. The bay door drop was no longer necessary, but since Newmar spent so much time developing it, they chose to keep it in production.

My 2019 DSDP4369 had the star chassis and the HWH hydraulic slide. Same setup as the LA4551. That chassis never flexed, and we put a lot of weight on that slide.

When air leveling, the coach would remain solid even with all adults on the FWS.

As far as structure goes for bathroom design, etc--there is no floor support in the middle of the coach. The only load bearing supports are on the side wall. The rest is cosmetic construction.

Zero benefit for structural integrity based on floor plan.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
I have known many Newmar owners with FWS and none of them had any of the issues that you stated. Also, to my recollection, they have never been reported here on this group forum. Sounds like you're going on a lot of pure conjecture and not based upon research or facts. I love the 4551 and wouldn't want any other.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 02:59 PM   #7

Not sure where your concerns on buying a 4551 are coming from other than creating speculations.
I’ve owned two Newmar’s with the full wall slide and neither have ever flexed, while open or while traveling down the road. First was. 2019 and our current is a 2022 LA4551. This isn’t an issue with the HWH full walls and Newmar.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
According to your signature, you've already ordered the 4589 ??
Yes. In as much as I liked the additional floor space of the 4551, I decided the structural rigidity and durability of the 4589 was the better choice for me.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:12 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Yes. In as much as I liked the additional floor space of the 4551, I decided the structural rigidity and durability of the 4589 was the better choice for me.
There are zero structural rigidity issues with a newmar full wall slide.

There are zero durability issues with a newmar full wall slide.

Your statement is naive at best and slanderous at the worst.

Just need to make sure others that read this understand that the OP has no facts to backup the statements and no prior newmar ownership experience
Old 11-16-2021, 08:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
There are zero structural rigidity issues with a newmar full wall slide.

There are zero durability issues with a newmar full wall slide.

Your statement is naive at best and slanderous at the worst.

Just need to make sure others that read this understand that the OP has no facts to backup the statements and no prior newmar ownership experience
Except for this. Didn’t have to look very far.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/str...rt-561210.html
Old 11-16-2021, 08:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I never said failures have not happened...I had a failure. It has nothing to do with a fws. Bedroom slides have failed. My kitchen slide failed.

A ram tube slide arm is a rare issue. Nothing happened to the structure of the coach.

There is no design flaw or structural difference with a fws vs any other slide.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:35 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Except for this. Didn’t have to look very far.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/str...rt-561210.html
That link you gave is on a 2014 or prior to the star foundation. I do know one guy who had an issue but his didn't have the start foundation as well and even had the electric driven slides. (NON-HWH)
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
That link you gave is on a 2014 or prior to the star foundation. I do know one guy who had an issue but his didn't have the start foundation as well and even had the electric driven slides. (NON-HWH)

Those are important facts. The star foundation is on all coaches, and resolved the twisting and sagging that sometimes occurred.

My 2013 4347 was very heavy on the slide. It was the older style full wall slide that runs up a ramp. This had the pantry, refrigerator, Dresser, sofa, and dining table. Once the slide was repaired from a defective build, it never had problems. The slide was designed for a lot more weight than was on the slide.

I also installed HWH active aire on this coach, and could execute emergency lane changes and radial turns at posted speeds without any chassis or body movement.

There is no rigidity differences between the slides.

The floor plans are different, and that is what a person should make their decision based on. Choose the floor plan you like, and leave the engineering to newmar.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:05 PM   #14

On late models isn't there a difference between the Spartan and Freightliner chassis? I thought the Spartan was thicker?
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar