Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2021, 06:54 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
On late models isn't there a difference between the Spartan and Freightliner chassis? I thought the Spartan was thicker?
No. Newmar specifies frame thickness. Both are the same.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2021, 09:32 PM   #16

Thank You
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #17

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
There are zero structural rigidity issues with a newmar full wall slide.

There are zero durability issues with a newmar full wall slide.

Your statement is naive at best and slanderous at the worst.

Just need to make sure others that read this understand that the OP has no facts to backup the statements and no prior newmar ownership experience
Let me break it down for you Barney style.

You have two identical box cars with wheels and STAR platform. The only difference is box car A is fully enclosed. Box car B has 90% of the sidewall cut out and removed. Box car A has superior structural integrity. If box car C has 50% of the sidewall removed, it will have better structural integrity than box car B. No if's and's or but's. Thats the way it is. Period. It's called mechanical principles.

Can you feel the difference? Assume two identical cars are exactly the same in every aspect except for power. The only difference is car A has 350 bhp and car B has 300 bhp. Can you feel the difference in rear of the pants dyno during normal driving? Maybe or maybe not. But car A has more power. It's indisputable. It's not to say one is better than the other. It's just a fact that car A has 350 bhp and car B has 300 bhp. Period. End of discussion.

Prior ownership of a coach or car has no bearing on mechanical principles. Structural design integrity is universal across buildings, machines, cars, or anything being built by humans. I don't need to own a car to know that 350 bhp has more power than a 300 bhp car.

Get off you high horse. I didn't call your baby ugly. I've never seen your baby so I wouldn't know. Okay that's a joke.
Road Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:41 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Interesting that the author asks for an opinion between two coaches he is "considering", when in fact he has already ordered one of them

Then whenever someone has a different opinion he gets defensive.

Yes I have a Tiffin 45 OPP bus (which I love) but am considering a Newmar
kmeinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:17 PM   #19

I just called Newmar regarding the thickness of the frame rails on the Spartan and Freightliner chassis. Newmar customer service referred me to Spartan and Freightliner.

Freightliner said they had NO idea and had never been asked that question?
I was instructed to go Freightliner website FCCCRV.com and I did.
Spartan pulled engineering specs .

Freightliner specs were 5/16 or 0.313

Spartan specs were 3/8 or 0.375

So Spartan would be thicker.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:46 PM   #20

Quote:
I just called Newmar regarding the thickness of the frame rails on the Spartan and Freightliner chassis. Newmar customer service referred me to Spartan and Freightliner.

I believe you have a choice between Freightliner and Spartan on Newmar DP’s up to NA. MA’s and above are dedicated to the Spartan chassis.

Some people have stated that Freightliners have a tighter turning radius over the Spartan. But Spartan recently changed their passive steer axle cut from 9 to 17 degrees. It’s confusing because if you compare the Spartan front wheel turning radius and tag axle cut capability with Freightliner (2022 and above), you would think that Spartan chassis has the tighter turning radius. But if you ask people with experience on both chassis’s, they state that Freightliner has the tighter turning radius. It could be that the turning experience are from older DP models.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

I think the more accurate question is what is the engineering spec for weight and force. That is what newmar specifies. How this is achieved is up to the vendor. Some may use thicker steel, and less reinforcement, others thinner steel and more cross bracing, etc.

Neither MFG makes a frame that won't twist, so newmar had to add additional cross bracing.

There is also a chemical difference between metals, and different grades of steel.

At the end, the spec newmar cares about is the minimum strength of the frame.

I have always owned a Freightliner, and would have one on my LA if it was an option. It is the better chassis IMHO.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #22

Spartan Chassis
I have a question for Road Hogg, the OP. What degree do you have in engineering? Are you a structural engineer, design engineer, or any kind of engineer at all? So far we have nothing to support that you know anything about engineering. What you think or believe doesn't make you right.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #23

I have 2021 LADP 4551 great floor plan you will love it. I’m not having any problems with the full wall slide.
Scnookiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scnookiie View Post
I have 2021 LADP 4551 great floor plan you will love it. I’m not having any problems with the full wall slide.
Nice. What is your toad and how is the mpg?
Old 11-23-2021, 03:19 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
No. Newmar specifies frame thickness. Both are the same.

If you go to the Newmar Factory in Nappannee and look at the FL and Spartan chassis sitting on their lot, you will see the difference. They are absolutely not the same.

As to the OP's post.

Bill
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:36 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Steel C channel strength is a factor of several factors

Height (major)
Width (minor)
Thickness (major)
PSI (major)

My last rig, Monaco Camelot, frame was only 6.5 inches high, 3/8 thick, but had a PSI of 100K vs most frames are 50K or 60K PSI.

If you want to compare frame strength you need all the factors and an engineers table (or the ability to make the comparison)

ken
kenk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:54 PM   #27

Thank you Ken.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:11 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk02 View Post
Steel C channel strength is a factor of several factors

Height (major)
Width (minor)
Thickness (major)
PSI (major)

My last rig, Monaco Camelot, frame was only 6.5 inches high, 3/8 thick, but had a PSI of 100K vs most frames are 50K or 60K PSI.

If you want to compare frame strength you need all the factors and an engineers table (or the ability to make the comparison)

ken

That is the basis of my understanding. Thank you for clarifying with the correct technical terms. Newmar specifies the PSI (strength) of the frame..not how to design the frame.

Tags
newmar