Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2021, 06:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar - Lost all Electrical Power in Coach

Hi - hoping I can get some help - at a KOA - been here 3 nights - all of a sudden tonight - I lost all electrical power in my Coach - everything still works on battery - but nothing with electrical - I have checked outside and there is power - I have checked my breakers - they all seem to be fine - any suggestions would be very helpful - I am afraid to leave the Coach running on battery in case it drains my batteries
plebreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2021, 06:37 PM   #2

Do you have power if generator is running?
drdonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plebreux View Post
Hi - hoping I can get some help - at a KOA - been here 3 nights - all of a sudden tonight - I lost all electrical power in my Coach - everything still works on battery - but nothing with electrical - I have checked outside and there is power - I have checked my breakers - they all seem to be fine - any suggestions would be very helpful - I am afraid to leave the Coach running on battery in case it drains my batteries
Both the generator power and the shore cable meet in the Auto Transfer Switch box, so as mentioned, run the generator. Then... you should know where to check next.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:09 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
thanks very much - I will try to run the Generator in a couple hours so I don't wake up my neighbours here at the campground. I did check my Transfer Switch box and it has completed melted - it looks like it was hit with a massive energy charge (like being hit by lightning) - which is very strange - there was no storm activity last evening - everything was fine - in addition I have a surge protector on my power line and it is still showing that everything is fine.

My biggest concern now is will I be able to pull my sliders in so I can leave the campsite and drive back to Orlando.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:53 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
If your transfer switch has melted then you should replace it before you start the generator, I'd suggest umplugging from the pedestal also.
My guess is that you had a loose connection inside the transfer switch that generated enough heat to cause the damage you see. And that would not set an alert on the surge protector.
I would expect the slides to be 12 volt. Start the main engine so that you have the alternator to give extra power to the batteries. Since your batteries are probably not getting any sort of charge you may need to start the engine and let it run for a while so that it has time to recharge the batteries.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:21 AM   #6

What Podivin says, DO NOT start the generator if some of its wiring may be burnt... that could cause more smoke to be released from the wires.
If you were planning to leave anyways, then like Podivin says, charge the batteries with the MH engine, it should work that way. If you had planned on staying a bit longer, it is an 'easy' job to connect the shore power cable directly to the breaker box. A few marrettes and clean up the melted wiring in the ATS box... someone in the park should have that knowledge.

Good Luck!
Old 11-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #7

one could hardwire around the xfer switch for either gen set or shore power. but not both. could save a trip to know how.
capt fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #8

Yes, there ARE "work arounds" for electrically savvy people.

Basically, select ONE source (like shore power) and make direct connections at the ATS from shore power IN to ATS OUT to the coach main 120 VAC breaker box.

black to black
red to red (assuming 50 amp set up)
white to white
green to green

Not electrically savvy, have someone who is do it!
Old 11-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
What Podivin says, DO NOT start the generator if some of its wiring may be burnt... that could cause more smoke to be released from the wires.
If you were planning to leave anyways, then like Podivin says, charge the batteries with the MH engine, it should work that way. If you had planned on staying a bit longer, it is an 'easy' job to connect the shore power cable directly to the breaker box. A few marrettes and clean up the melted wiring in the ATS box... someone in the park should have that knowledge.

Good Luck!
thanks very much for all of the replies - when you say may have been a loose wire - is that a wire at the Transfer unit or a loose wire somewhere in the RV that I would somehow have to find - when you say unplug at the pedestal - do you mean disconnect the wires attached to the Transfer Switch ? I have done some simple electrical at my house - I am thinking of changing the Transfer Switch myself (only because RV service centres are telling me they are booking service in March (which sounds absolutely ridiculous). The wires coming into the Transfer switch from the MH panel are the ones that are burnt - I am not sure I am going to have enough clean wire to cut off the burnt part to then be able to connect to the new transfer switch - would I simply connect pigtails to extend? Do you guys think a regular electrician can do this switch over or does it need to be an RV shop? Thanks everyone - this is a very helpful forum
Old 11-25-2021, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
The wires coming into the Transfer switch from the MH panel are the ones that are burnt - I am not sure I am going to have enough clean wire to cut off the burnt part to then be able to connect to the new transfer switch - would I simply connect pigtails to extend?

If there isn't enough clean wire to reach from ATS to RV main 120 VAC breaker box, you options are:

Replace the whole wire (the right choice if they are anywhere near each other.

Second choice is to make a splice (actually connection), but it MUST be inside a protected box. Same as in any house wiring. NO exposed connections.

As far as who would be qualified-- it ain't rocket science, but if done incorrectly can be a real hazard. While an electrician will likely not have worked with ATS's, he will be very familiar with the wiring-- same as a house if 50 amp: 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 ground.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:41 AM   #11

Quote:
thanks very much for all of the replies - when you say may have been a loose wire - is that a wire at the Transfer unit or a loose wire somewhere in the RV that I would somehow have to find - when you say unplug at the pedestal - do you mean disconnect the wires attached to the Transfer Switch ? I have done some simple electrical at my house - I am thinking of changing the Transfer Switch myself (only because RV service centres are telling me they are booking service in March (which sounds absolutely ridiculous). The wires coming into the Transfer switch from the MH panel are the ones that are burnt - I am not sure I am going to have enough clean wire to cut off the burnt part to then be able to connect to the new transfer switch - would I simply connect pigtails to extend? Do you guys think a regular electrician can do this switch over or does it need to be an RV shop? Thanks everyone - this is a very helpful forum
Had you seen this?
https://auto-recalls.justia.com/newm...018/17v830000/

And some more reading...
https://www.obd-codes.com/tsb/2018/n...ay-star-sport/
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/N...20STAR#recalls
Old 11-25-2021, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Wherever the burnt wires are, that was the loose connection. A loose connection in one area will not heat up elsewhere. If you have no electricity, yes unplug from the pedestal, you should still have inverter power (if installed) but need to charge the batteries. There is usually some extra wire outside the box that can be stripped back and brought in for extra wire. Any backyard electron mechanic can do this, just respect those electrons.
Send us a picture!

Here is more throne room info on a ATS swap, with possible hiccups.
https://wheelingit.us/2017/01/19/rv-...e-replacement/
Old 11-25-2021, 08:18 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
wow - thanks for the message re the recall - that looks like exactly what happened - I have spoken to Newmar (or Newgle - whatever they like to call themselves) a few times and they have certainly never mentioned that to me - it will be interesting to see if they will now cover the repair as a result of the issue. My guess is they will if I can bring the RV to Indiana and they will book a repair some time 2023.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
wow - thanks for the message re the recall - that looks like exactly what happened - I have spoken to Newmar (or Newgle - whatever they like to call themselves) a few times and they have certainly never mentioned that to me - it will be interesting to see if they will now cover the repair as a result of the issue. My guess is they will if I can bring the RV to Indiana and they will book a repair some time 2023.
Can you wait that long? Many have done repairs themselves and submitted the parts cost and were covered... but you would have to ask if you are off warranty.

Tags
electric, electrical, newmar, power