Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2023, 10:05 AM   #29

All these posts raise great issues that all need to be addressed by Newmar. That being said, many of the problems we deal with regularly on these coaches have nothing to do with Newmar directly. Most problems arise from failure of aftermarket supplied components and unfortunately the economy over the years has forced out most competition in this segment and thus, they are often left with making the best choice from a small list of crappy choices. Most components these days are assembled from subpar parts from vendors throughout the world. I really don't have a clue for how to fix these problems unless we would all be happy with very basic, low tech coaches but even those types of RV's have many issues as well. Finally, there just is not enough volume for any RV manufacture to produce an automotive level quality. Newmar is better than many but still a long way from being a great coach IMO, but we still enjoy ours in spite of the short comings. I just keep reminding myself it's more of a boat than a car!
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2023, 06:16 PM   #30
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have one......one of the most annoying issues with the bay doors has been how they close and seal. You can adjust them until the cows come home, but you still have to slam them sometimes to get them to close.

The new seals on the 2023's make them close like butter. The old bay doors can be EASILY retrofitted with the new seals. This is a point of CONSTANT aggravation and was actually a consideration for us when shopping new coaches as the Tiffin doors close without issue.

Maybe Newmar could offer an upgrade package, like a 125' of seal material for 40's and 150' for 43's that is reasonably priced, maybe even under cost to fix the lousy seals.

When selling motorhomes, I'm sure you don't want something that is a constant aggravation to be what steers someone away from your product to another.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:08 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I have one......one of the most annoying issues with the bay doors has been how they close and seal. You can adjust them until the cows come home, but you still have to slam them sometimes to get them to close.

The new seals on the 2023's make them close like butter. The old bay doors can be EASILY retrofitted with the new seals. This is a point of CONSTANT aggravation and was actually a consideration for us when shopping new coaches as the Tiffin doors close without issue.

Maybe Newmar could offer an upgrade package, like a 125' of seal material for 40's and 150' for 43's that is reasonably priced, maybe even under cost to fix the lousy seals.

When selling motorhomes, I'm sure you don't want something that is a constant aggravation to be what steers someone away from your product to another.
THIS!
Old 04-28-2023, 08:19 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
1) Better wiring schematics available, and using wire looms, rather a a rat's nest of wiring!

2)On "GAS" coaches; Bay Star & Bay star Sport, offer "LIQUID SPRING" suspension, as an option, like several other competitors!! It would be helpful to the buyer, & provide another "profit opportunity" for NEWMAR!!

3)Set a "DEALER STANDARD" for awarding NEWMAR franchises, i.e. SERVICE after the sale, Technician training requirement, etc, and make the DEALER adhere to that standard, as part of retaining his NEWMAR franchise!!
Give the DEALER's" substantial financial performance rewards for meeting the STANDARDS set forth by NEWMAR!!!!!!!!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:24 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
1) Better wiring schematics available, and using wire looms, rather a a rat's nest of wiring!

2)On "GAS" coaches; Bay Star & Bay star Sport, offer "LIQUID SPRING" suspension, as an option, like several other competitors!! It would be helpful to the buyer, & provide another "profit opportunity" for NEWMAR!!
All Newmar would have to do here is borrow the processes from their mothership. Winnebago does this on all coaches now.
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:56 AM   #34

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
When I worked I was on an "Industry advisory board" for a major IT network analytics company. We met remotely 4 times a year, and in person twice a year. There were 4 members, each from a different industry (so there wasn't fear of divulging trade secrets to a competitor). We each used their software and appliances in the companies we worked for. We knew their products and were able to offer constructive suggestions.

Hundreds of our suggestions were implemented over the five years that I sat on the board. There is no doubt we helped that company grow their market share and avoiding issues and errors that we encountered.

I think a small board of active RVers could be invaluable to Newmar improving their product.
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 11:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
1))On "GAS" coaches; Bay Star & Bay star Sport, offer "LIQUID SPRING" suspension, as an option, like several other competitors!! It would be helpful to the buyer, & provide another "profit opportunity" for NEWMAR!!
X2 - while we plan on going diesel on our next coach, we keep our eye on the new gas rigs just in case the war on diesel grows worse. If we go gas, Liquid Springs will be added if it’s not a factory option.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:15 AM   #36

Will high light the items mentioned and will also print all replies when we meet on May 10th. The access that Casey is giving us owners is so much different then a VP at Newmar said to me at a FMCA rally.
"Who Do you think you are. You are just a owner."
Looking forward to both our tour at Newmar and meeting with Newmar's president.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 11:24 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
The access that Casey is giving us owners is so much different then a VP at Newmar said to me at a FMCA rally.
"Who Do you think you are. You are just a owner."
Thankfully Maverick is no longer the Top Gun
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 07:35 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tom … when will you be meeting with the CEO? As a new Newmar owner (less than a month), I would like to provide some feedback. I am not dissatisfied in the least. So no complaints, but meaningful (potential improvement) observations. (We have owned two 5th wheels ahead of jumping to a Newmar SuperStar / Motorhome.) My reason for going with Newmar (after much deliberation / consideration) was based on my perception of which manufacturer held the “Gold Standard” in the industry. I acknowledge up front that the political / societal environment, drives everything from supply to labor … and any company will be challenged to bridge the gap between being profitable and putting out - and maintaining - that “gold” standard.
BandSSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 02:59 PM   #39

Please emphasize QA practices, both at the factory, after the first drive to a dealer, and then a proper QA for the dealer to perform before and during delivery.

All my items on my first and second trip I believe could have been handled by an appropriate attention-to-detail QA. Our coach had 780 miles on it at pick up, likely the drive from Nappanee to Atlanta. If a post drive QA was done....im sure most, if not all, of our issues would have been caught before our first trip.
Old 04-30-2023, 03:04 PM   #40

Suggestion passenger folding table should be replaced with good size slide from dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Heading for the Newmar factory on our 12th visit there in the last 25 years for a plant tour and a visit with the President of Newmar. Long trip at 6K miles, but our London Aire is the center piece of our retirement and enjoy returning for a home coming. We had meet Matt Miller a decade a go and had contact with each other once or twice a year. Will be having lunch with Casey Tubman the new president of Newmar to talk about Newmar motor homes.
Newmar moto is When you know the Difference which we have found many owners do before they purchase their first and like in our case numerous coaches. When having lunch with Casey we would like to share what we and other Newmar owners find as to why Newmar. Would like to share with Casey what irv2 Newmar owners find as the 3 items why the choice Newmar and 3 areas were Newmar could improve to be even better. This meeting is going to a positive meeting and look forward to your suggestions for Casey and what Teri and I find important. We found out how important irv2 forum is with Newmar and think Casey is also interested in our findings.
Newmar Man
Suggest that the folding passenger seat table be replaced with a good size slide out from the dash table. That way, don’t have to pack everything up to leave seat. That was very useful on our previous coaches.
1PlasticMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 03:30 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveby View Post
All Newmar would have to do here is borrow the processes from their mothership. Winnebago does this on all coaches now.

we've had our Journey for a long time now and are ready to upgrade. We are thinking Newmar but when I contacted the Winnebago folks about their Grand National Rally they said Newmar would not be included because Newmar has their own rallies. All the other Winnie brands are included. Now that's a game changer for us.

At the GNR all of the vendors are present and come right to your sight to fix anything wrong. That's a big deal for us. A couple of years ago our toilet valve broke and the vendor installed a new toilet free of charge. We can get practically anything repaired right on the spot there. The fridge, water heater, furnace, even the jack system. We can also get some of that at a FMCA rally, but the competition for repairs at them is furious.

Because of that we may just upgrade to another Winnie. At my age this will probably be our last coach so we want a nice one.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 03:41 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
we've had our Journey for a long time now and are ready to upgrade. We are thinking Newmar but when I contacted the Winnebago folks about their Grand National Rally they said Newmar would not be included because Newmar has their own rallies. All the other Winnie brands are included. Now that's a game changer for us.

At the GNR all of the vendors are present and come right to your sight to fix anything wrong. That's a big deal for us. A couple of years ago our toilet valve broke and the vendor installed a new toilet free of charge. We can get practically anything repaired right on the spot there. The fridge, water heater, furnace, even the jack system. We can also get some of that at a FMCA rally, but the competition for repairs at them is furious.

Because of that we may just upgrade to another Winnie. At my age this will probably be our last coach so we want a nice one.
The Newmar International Rally is held yearly at different locations around the country. This year, it’s in Sedalia, MO. Newmar sends parts, techs and vendors there will fix, repair or overnight the parts to the rally so you will be fixed before you leave. A benefit to everyone needing this service. We went from an Itasca back to Newmar and have been more than satisfied.

Tags
newmar