Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #1

hello everyone in my new newmar canyonstar i upgrade to the pillowtop mattress but my back on every trip is killing me can anyone offer any suggestions or ideas i cannot take another trip with this mattress thanks everyone
G Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #2

hello everyone in my new newmar canyonstar i upgrade to the pillowtop mattress but my back on every trip is killing me can anyone offer any suggestions or ideas i cannot take another trip with this mattress thanks everyone
G Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Many folks just buy a quality mattress to get exactly what they want.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2 inch memory foam topper on our pillow top and it makes it very comfortable to us. The topper was from a previous motor home. We bought it from Sam's. While waiting in line to check out with it, a lady came running across the store to tell us we were about to get the best nights sleep we had ever had. Not sure about that but we really like it.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
cwg

We faced the same problem. Having experienced the last two motorhomes which came standard with an air mattress system(which were not great, either), we were disappointed with the Newmar mattress in our Essex. It seemed to wallow out from the body impressions, and when at the Newmar factory, they had the manufacturer take it out and restuff it. This was even worse in that it became too hard to sleep on.

So this winter some friends with an Allegro Bus said they had hated their mattress and found the following solution: They went to Sams and bought a 3" memory foam mattress which goes on top of the regular one. It was incredible at how much more comfortable our mattress became after we followed suit. The foam topper retails for about $150 which was a bargain as compared to purchasing another mattress.

So upon returning home and faced with a Serta memory foam or Temperpedic (meaning expensive!!) mattress which seemed too hard also, at least on our hips, guess what? Another trip to Sams and once again the 3" memory foam has made the bed so much more comfortable. I believe it would help most beds.

Disclaimer: sleep comfort is subjective and everyone has to try and find his/her level. Guess that is why Select Comfort mattresses have so many settings on the air controller.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:06 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Disclaimer: sleep comfort is subjective and everyone has to try and find his/her level. Guess that is why Select Comfort mattresses have so many settings on the air controller. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost like reading an attorney's legal document....

I owned the much heralded Select Comfort bed and hated every minute of sleeping on them as they're not made for "single" sleeping.... Even adding air to the "unoccupied" side never solved the issue.
I might add that, prior to my separation and divorce we both slept together in the bed and it just wasn't for us.

I'd recommend either doing the bed topper or replacing the entire mattress as Dirk suggested.

Gotta go, my bicycle's calling me!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:27 AM   #7

Hmmmm....we tried the 3" memory foam, but found it too hot and didn't like it at all. The original mattress from our DSDP is still in plastic in storage. We ordered a new Select Comfort because we had one at the house and loved it. Love this one too, so it is probably important for you to know what you like in a mattress and put that in your motor home too.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:38 AM   #8

We bought a memory foam topper from Costco. We're heading to Yogi's Camp Luray today, so we'll have a week to try it out.

I've heard others complain about it feeling too hot, so I hope I don't have that problem. It does feel very comfortable in my brief test.

The stock mattress was OK for the one night we tried it, but you could tell that Newmar saves some money in this area.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:47 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We have memory foam toppers on all our beds, even the house bed with the expensive mattress. We have ordered ours from Overstock which seems a bit cheaper than Costco or Sam's Club and Overstock often has free or $1 shipping.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:58 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Pardon the curiosity here, but the 3 inch memory foam thingy is meant to be a "fix" for the unacceptable mattress.... correct?

If that's the case, I'm also assuming that it'd be possible to buy the "correct" mattress at some point when the topper wore out?

Also.... with the added three inch "topper" in place, doesn't this now make the sleeping area elevated those three inches?

Lastly, how does adding the three inch topper affect the "fitting" of the fitted sheet ?
Old 06-30-2008, 04:32 AM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but the 3 inch memory foam thingy is meant to be a "fix" for the unacceptable mattress </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It helps if the mattress is too firm, but it's of little help on mattress that's too soft.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Also.... with the added three inch "topper" in place, doesn't this now make the sleeping area elevated those three inches? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The additional height is not a problem for most of us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Lastly, how does adding the three inch topper affect the "fitting" of the fitted sheet ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe most fitted sheets now will fit mattresses that are quite thick.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:09 AM   #12

Lessons learned the hard way. An expensive thick pillow top mattress was the worst sleep we ever had. Back pains every morning. Memory foam toppers seem hot and I didn't like the "set" they took.
Best sleep ever for us--a decent firm (trade name here)-pedic mattress plus one of those egg-crate foam toppers plus a thick mattress pad on a solid platform. Best at home too-threw out the box spring and made a platform. Less than $450 per bed. Standard bedding fits.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:35 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by two2go:
Lessons learned the hard way. An expensive thick pillow top mattress was the worst sleep we ever had. Back pains every morning. Memory foam toppers seem hot and I didn't like the "set" they took.
Best sleep ever for us--a decent firm (trade name here)-pedic mattress plus one of those egg-crate foam toppers plus a thick mattress pad on a solid platform. Best at home too-threw out the box spring and made a platform. Less than $450 per bed. Standard bedding fits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only in jest here of course, but maybe a series of nails in plywood would work for some of ya?
Old 06-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Bob,

Your comments don't count... You don't even own a motorhome.

Me, I sold my mattress to some friends and bought a poor mans version of the Select Comfort. It has an separate air mattress for each side with controller (no numbers), memory foam wrapped in vinyl and a zip off pillow top.