Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newmar Messaging Problems or Worse?

OK...the problem with sitting at Camp Newmar with too much time on my hands. LOL

Let me start with saying I am not versed in how other manufacturers put out information and handle "crisis". My thoughts are on how Newmar has and should handle things. All things are IMHO and you can decide if I'm off my rocker or not. Let's also keep in mind that some of the things that I am commenting on are NOT unique in the history for either Newmar or RV manufactures as a whole. As and example, overbuilt (too heavy for functional use) coaches are not a new issue and still plague buyers that are unaware of these issues.

I am starting to believe that Newmar is having a struggle with messaging. That doesn't mean there aren't some other issues that play into this but let me explain my point.

1. 2016 DSDP front axle issues are both "crisis" and message.

There is NO excuse for this to have happened the way it did. Engineers should have seen this coming the day they decided to add the HWH slide system and tile to the slide outs. If the engineers were not versed in real world and historic capabilities of the DSDP, then Newmar failed in getting them that knowledge. The messaging afterwards was less than stellar. In so many words, some of our IRV2 members reported that they were told they expected too much. They didn't consider the history of the DSDP as a solid work horse that could handle most every reasonable task. While the "fix" is significant it was painful getting to that point and many owners are still waiting for it to be available.

2. Message on 2017 models.

OK...Newmar can't always control leaks but is certainly can exert some serious pressure on dealers that prematurely publish some things. Yes, we are all hungry for information but no company should be putting out information that isn't "final". It would have been more effective for all information on 2017 models come from Newmar Corp first. I realize that there are some of you that are chomping at the bit to order your 2017 but getting it right vs. fast is always best for all.

In the end, all companies live and sometimes die on reputation. Newmar's reputation is good but has taken a bit of a bruising. I think it is time for Newmar to figure out how to address tough issues in a way that cleans up some issues and instill confidence to current and prospective buyers.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #2

Well said.

Big and Medium size corporations spend or should spend time planning for things to go wrong or even right and capitalize on either. Think how BP initially handled the Big oil spill. Did they have a plan?? or did they not execute? did they think a spill would never occur?

Hope and plan for the best but be prepared for the worst.

I worked for one of those Big corporations and media training and handling crisis situation was a skill you were trained on and practiced. Maybe Newmar should invest if not already in some training and practice.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Number 1 is old news rehashing and rehashing. Number 2 is who cares? The moment a dealer gets the new information it is public domain. Putting it in the dealer hands first is very important. Especially to the dealer who wants to be the firstist with the mostist. The information is not "official" until it comes from Newmar. Like you said in your post. Your sitting at Camp Newmar with too much time on your hands. Consider going to the Dutch Kitchen for breakfast and the Das Duch Essenhaus for dinner at Essenhaus Amish Style Inn, Conference Center & Restaurant - Middlebury, IN You'll be in a much better frame of mind. Remember the slogan for Nappanee is "Embrace The Pace".
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #4

dbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:53 PM   #5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeck View Post
X-3
jmon129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon129 View Post
X-3
X-4

And Don we all know you are off your rocker. :>))

More important than any of that is how is Zeus?
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #7

I think I'll go take Zeus for a walk.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, newmar, problems