Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #1

Coastal Campers
Newmar Mountain Aire Steering tilt

We recently purchased a 2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4522 on Spartan chassis. We love the coach having upgraded from a Monaco Monarch after 12 years. If anyone in this group has an 07 Newmar I’d appreciate knowing how to adjust the tilt and height on the steering wheel. It’s referenced in a couple online documents but not how to adjust.

Thank you.
904Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #2

There should be two handles on the left side of the column. One is the turn signal, of course, but we are interested in the other one. Pulling the lever up toward the steering wheel should release the tilt lock. Pushing the lever down away from the steering wheel should release the telescope lock.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
2007 MADP 4528 here. Column tilt release pedal is at floor to the left of steering column at foot well. There is an electric switch, that is active with ignition on, that moves your pedals . No column length adjustment. The seat has a height adjustment. The emergency light switch is activated by pulling out the chrome lever next to turn signal. To deactivate move the turn signal lever up or down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Column Tilt Release.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	238030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pedal Position Switch].jpg
Views:	70
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	238031  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Emergency Lights.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	238032  
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #4

I was wrong in my post above. I was thinking that 2007 was pre-Comfort Drive. The pics above show a 2007 with the original Comfort Drive. The foot pedal releases both the tilt lock and the telescope lock at the same time. If one of them does not release, it needs cleaned and/or adjusted.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
I will clean column and see if I can get the column to adjust in length. thanks.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #6

If you only push down or pull up with one hand, the sliding mechanism can stick so push or pull with both hands evenly for best results.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Thanks Ken! Two hands on the wheel worked. Was real stiff, still have to lubricate. Thought I knew almost everything. Good thing this forum is here. My education continues.

Dave and Pam. Any more questions about your 2007 MADP 4522?
Old 03-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #8

Ah good. You got it working.

I was about to say that we have the same foot pedal lock on our 2008 KSDP (Spartan Mt. Master) with Comfort Drive. And stepping on that pedal thing loosens up everything for adjusting.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:13 AM   #9

This is an oldish thread, but it relates to my problem, namely that my POWER tilt has stopped working. We parked one day with the wheel tilted up to let me get out, and came back in a few days to find that the wheel would not respond to the power switch at all.

I drove that day with the wheel almost horizontal like an old fashioned city bus. We got here, but it is awkward. I cannot find any fuse that is marked with anything that might apply, so I don't know where to look. There is nothing helpful looking under the steering column cover, so I'm pretty lost.

Any suggestions?

Tom
Old 08-29-2019, 12:22 PM   #10

Well, I guess no one has found this thread yet, so I'll just reply to myself. I did find a module in the driver's side outside bay with all the fuses. That module indicates that it's for the tilt/telescope function.

I unplugged the connector and found nothing obvious (loose, corroded, etc,) so I plugged it back in. I tried the controls again, hoping that it might have reset on power off. No such luck. The foot pedal adjuster acted like it wanted to respond, but would mot move more than a MM or two; the tilt did nothing.

Still lost??????????????????????????????????

Tom
Old 08-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM GUY View Post
…... The foot pedal adjuster acted like it wanted to respond, but would mot move more than a MM or two; the tilt did nothing.

Tom
I'm confused. If you have an electric tilt / tele, there is no foot pedal adjuster.

To troubleshoot your problem, check the voltages on the tilt motor and on the tele motor. I would be very surprised if they both failed at the same time. You should have 12 volts across a motor only when trying to move it with polarity depending on which way you are trying to move it. Next check for power on the control switch. I can't help you with wire colors but one wire should be hot with ignition and the other wires should change voltages as you operate the switch. I suspect you will find no power at any time at the switch. Your task will then be to figure out why not.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM GUY View Post
Well, I guess no one has found this thread yet, so I'll just reply to myself. I did find a module in the driver's side outside bay with all the fuses. That module indicates that it's for the tilt/telescope function.

I unplugged the connector and found nothing obvious (loose, corroded, etc,) so I plugged it back in. I tried the controls again, hoping that it might have reset on power off. No such luck. The foot pedal adjuster acted like it wanted to respond, but would mot move more than a MM or two; the tilt did nothing.

Still lost??????????????????????????????????

Tom
Did you read this post does your switch lever do same to release both functions for your steering wheel?
Some functions different years and different coach's for operation of same function.
A Newmar search of your problem.
The Newmar search has a post mentioning the foot pedal, if the foot pedal is part of operation have you looked for a switch that will operate when you lift or push the foot pedal.
Have you ever looked thru this sticky for information and search functions to aid you?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:43 PM   #13

Ken, 007, thanks for your input. Just to clarify, my coach does not have the manual adjuster mentioned. This one has only the (large) bundle of electro-mechanical stuff in front of the driver's knees.

That includes the tilt motor assembly, possibly the telescoping power assembly and some other stuff.

There is a small paddle switch that is used for the tilt control on the left side of the steering wheel, kind of under the edge of the bulk of the wheel hub. On the right side are two more paddles, one that does nothing and one that has previously been used to raise or lower the foot pedals.

Currently none of these work since we stopped last week

Today I got into the area under the wheel and found a label that proclaimed "TILT" on a gearmotor assembly. I had figured that already, but it's nice to know. Trying to get the controls to work properly has proved futile, so I powered the motor with an external source and managed to position the wheel tilt to a position that should better than the "bus driver" position.

I put it all back together and unplugged the connector to prevent inadvertent movement.

Now I just have to decide if fixing this mess is worth the cost and irritation. As an engineer I have always stressed the K.I.S.S. principle; now I have a motor home that has insane amounts of unnecessary complications. Such is irony in the fast lane.

Tom (TLGPE)
Old 08-31-2019, 06:19 AM   #14

The fact that you could move it tells me the controls are the problem and not the motor.

If you want to bypass all the existing controls, three-position, spring-centered, double-pole, double-throw toggle switches can be wired to each motor. A 15 amp switch should be easy to find at any auto parts store. Don't forget to put a fuse in the ignition line.

Tags
air, newmar, steering