Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
I agree. When moving up the line the closest thing to a Prevost/Newell IS the King Aire. Nothing else compares. The Essex falls right below and then you can battle for the next one down, between the Cornerstone, Zephyr (if they really continue to build them), Heritage, Eagle, etc. Not a lot of players left these days, so pickings are pretty slim.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
I agree. When moving up the line the closest thing to a Prevost/Newell IS the King Aire. Nothing else compares. The Essex falls right below and then you can battle for the next one down, between the Cornerstone, Zephyr (if they really continue to build them), Heritage, Eagle, etc. Not a lot of players left these days, so pickings are pretty slim.
Not sure i have seen the Essex considered above a cornerstone before. k2 vs k3 and more money for the k2.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
Not sure i have seen the Essex considered above a cornerstone before. k2 vs k3 and more money for the k2.
I agree with you Zman. All are great coaches but, the K3 chassis with 600hp and 1950 ft/lbs of torque along with the Hadley SLS Air Leveling make the Cornerstone a pretty good choice. But, once again, if you own ANY of the Entegras or Newmars, you are in a first rate coach with two first rate companies that stand behind their products.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #32

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Thanks for all the good information on the Entegra Cornerstone.

My wife loves the "not flashy" part of this coach. She is the type that loves woodsy things and does not care for bling bling (I'm a lucky guy!). She doesn't like the King Aire because she says it's a little bit too flashy. I love the King Aire. It is a well built coach with everything a guy would want. But, as we all know, the wife is always right. :-)

I guess I need to continue my research and learn more about Entegra, the company, and the Cornerstone model.

I'm reading more about the K3 chassis and from what I have seen so far, I like it.

Here is a video on the K3 chassis.

cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #33

One thing nobody ever comments on is the gutter system. I love my toys to look perfect. This can NEVER happen with an Entegra product with constant water stains down the sides.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
One thing nobody ever comments on is the gutter system. I love my toys to look perfect. This can NEVER happen with an Entegra product with constant water stains down the sides.

Interesting comment. What specifically is different between the two coaches?
Old 03-05-2014, 06:34 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Not sure what is different on the King Aire, but I eliminate water stains through the use of gutter extensions. About the only frustration I have is the "stains", if you can call them that from dew fall on the front and rear caps, combined with Florida pollen or dust in other places, running down the front of the coach. Not sure how King Aire avoids that, but if so, that would be great.

The other drippings and flow of water off the roof is handled well by the gutter extensions ($7.95 on Amazon and if matched color-wise, blend in well with the coach).
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:58 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Interesting comment. What specifically is different between the two coaches?
Our King Aire has roof drains in all four corners and about a 2 inch lip running the entire length front to back sealing at the caps containing everything. The drains come out the bottom of the coach which make it nice if you are parked for a while you can put an extension hose on and keep the a/c condensation away from the awning side. If you are under a tree in the fall the leaves have to be keep cleaned at the corners. Easy with a ladder (with a blower or not) from the side not up on the roof.

I believe the Essex and Mountain Aire also have this same setup.

No more stained sides, stained wheels and wet shoes.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #37

Thanks Bullheaded. As we compare the two manufacturers that is another piece to add to the info bank. Although realistically we would be looking at the Dutch Star, not the Mountain Aire or Essex.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah, I am impressed with my Essex gutters vs the old TS style. LARGE gutters fabricated into the roof system all around and "downspouts"at all 4corners. So depending on where the lowest corner is, you will get drainage out of that downspout. As with all guttering systems, you do need to keep things clean. The advantage here is more of a safety factor insofar as over topping and running down the sides.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Thanks Bullheaded. As we compare the two manufacturers that is another piece to add to the info bank. Although realistically we would be looking at the Dutch Star, not the Mountain Aire or Essex.
Wnytaxman,

Just a point of clarification - The Dutch Star does not offer the gutter drains, like the Mountain Aire, Essex and King Aire. I asked Newmar when designing my build if I could add them as an upgrade on my Dutch Star 4018 that I will be taking delivery of in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, they said no.

On another topic - I have been reading all your threads and posts back to 2011 regarding Montana LLCs. They were incredibly helpful. Thank you!

Jigs
jigsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #40

An easy way to tell a Spartan K-2 from a K-3 is, the K-3 has disc brakes on all 3 axles the K-2 only on the front, drums on the rear & tag.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #41

One other thing I really like on the Newmar is the angle they mount their slide toppers. They don't hold water. Can't tell you how many times I was soaked or our shoes that set by the door when the wind comes up even several days after a rain with the Cornerstone. Not to mention when you pull the slides in on a coach you have just detailed and the stagnant water runs down the sides. I know there is a big difference in price but they really are quite different coaches.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsup View Post
Wnytaxman,

Just a point of clarification - The Dutch Star does not offer the gutter drains, like the Mountain Aire, Essex and King Aire. I asked Newmar when designing my build if I could add them as an upgrade on my Dutch Star 4018 that I will be taking delivery of in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, they said no.

On another topic - I have been reading all your threads and posts back to 2011 regarding Montana LLCs. They were incredibly helpful. Thank you!

Jigs
Thanks Jigs for both the clarification and the compliment. I can't be much help with mechanical things but I can help out folks with tax questions.

Getting back to the thread topic, we are looking at both Newmar and Entegra and the two manufacturers are, in my opinion, the two premier manufacturers in what I would call the mid-luxury market. We like the customer service and the construction of the Entegra but they do have a long way to go with floor plans. Newmar looks like the equal in construction, but there is a substantial price difference between the two comparable coaches.

Tags
newmar