Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2023, 06:06 AM   #1

Newmar or Tiffin, who has had both?

I have owned 3 Newmars (2002,2003, 2005) and have owned several Tiffin Phaetons since then. I am thinking of switching back to a 21 Dutch Star or doing an Allegro Bus this time. Something that I liked about the Newmar is their coated wheels. It seems like I need to polish my wheels every year on my Tiffins. If I park on limestone gravel and it rains, spots are left after the rain that are tough to get off if you can't wash them right away. Also wondering if the Tag axle rides that much better. I wold be giving up two storage compartments compared to the 40 Allegro Bus.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2023, 10:34 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrastryk View Post
I have owned 3 Newmars (2002,2003, 2005) and have owned several Tiffin Phaetons since then. I am thinking of switching back to a 21 Dutch Star or doing an Allegro Bus this time. Something that I liked about the Newmar is their coated wheels. It seems like I need to polish my wheels every year on my Tiffins. If I park on limestone gravel and it rains, spots are left after the rain that are tough to get off if you can't wash them right away. Also wondering if the Tag axle rides that much better. I wold be giving up two storage compartments compared to the 40 Allegro Bus.

Thanks

Hi Ultrastryk!

I think you will notice a considerable difference in the ride and drive with a tag axle. It gives you a smoother, more solid/heavier ride.

I have several customers that have owned both coaches that would be happy to talk to you. Please pm or email me and I’d be happy to connect you!

Angie
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
214-392-1100
Angie Morell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 06:21 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The Dutch Star and the Allegro Bus have been going back and forth with features over the years. Tiffin adds a feature and next year Newmar matches it. Newmar adds a feature and Tiffin matches.

Our friends have an Allegro Bus that is the same year as ours. They have features I would like and I have features they would like. Up until 2024, Newmar refused to add a third AC to the 40' Dutch Star. Their excuses why they didn't were BS. Three AC's require a 10K generator and Newmar didn't want to reengineer the front axle. I asked back in 2019 if they would just wire the middle AC to 50amp shore only and they refused. Now that is apparently what they're doing.

The 40' DS only has a 100-gallon fuel tank versus 150 in the Allegro Bus.

Things I think are better with the Dutch Star.....I like that they allow a wide range of custom exterior paint. If you look down the sidewall of an Allegro Bus, it looks like the ocean versus the smooth wall of the DS. The upper facades that hide the roof line and AC units on a Dutch Star are part of a large well on the roof. When it rains, the water runs to the four corners of the well and drains to the ground inside the walls of the coach. On AB, the facades are raised off of the edge of the roof and rainwater drains right over the edges of the coach.

We wanted a tag axle and Newmar was the only manufacturer that offers one in a 40' coach. We came from a 36' DP, so storage wasn't an issue. Newmar also comes with "Comfort Steer" which is amazing on long drives.

Bottom line, they're both good coaches, but they have some differences.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 03:56 PM   #4
jrs

When we were shopping and conducting research, IMHO the hung wall construction of the Newmar's and Entegra's are superior vs Tiffin's vacuum bonded walls. If an internal water leak occurs, Newmar walls are far less likely bubble up. Don mentions the smoothness of the walls above. When we shopped, Tiffin didn't post the R insulation values of the roof and walls like Newmar and Entegra does. I'm quite sure you'll find a better insulated rig and quieter roof during rains with the Newmar vs Tiffin.
I may be wrong but believe the DS Star Chassis is stiffer vs the Bus's Powerglide.
I do like the 100 gal grey and 55 gal blk tank sizes on the Allegro Bus vs my 65 grey and 45 blk.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:07 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had a 2013 Tiffin Phaeton, now a 2021 Dutch Star. It wouldn’t be fair to compare the ride on the two as they are different chassis. Straight axle on the Tiffin and no Tag.

But what I do miss from Tiffin is storage in upper cabinets. Tiffins are taller inside and deeper.

What I DO NOT miss from Tiffin. Insulation factor in the walls and roof. Newmar is very quiet when camping and the AC system has no trouble in satisfying our thermostat setting. Both coaches have 3 A/C’s and Dutch Star is 3’ longer.

When shopping for a new coach I truly wanted a new Tiffin Allegro Bus. I stop at NIRVC in Dallas and a young lady named Angie Morrell waited on me. She told me all about Newmar giving me all the positives and never said one negative thing about Tiffin. I did not purchase then (4 years ago). Before I left she made me promise to drive a Newmar before I purchased anything.

I kept my promise and now I have a Newmar..
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 03:42 AM   #6

Thanks for all the feedback. I put a deposit down on a 22 Dutch Star and will be flying to FL this week to check it over and drive it. If there are no surprises, it will be our next coach. We knew about the smaller interior cabinets, but since we are only on the road for 4-5 weeks at a time, are not too concerned about that. I am anxious to see the difference in the ride and extra insulation. So no need to ad reflex to the insides of the cabinets like I did on my Phaeton??
Old 06-11-2023, 11:48 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I put a deposit down on a 22 Dutch Star and will be flying to FL this week to check it over and drive it. If there are no surprises, it will be our next coach. We knew about the smaller interior cabinets, but since we are only on the road for 4-5 weeks at a time, are not too concerned about that. I am anxious to see the difference in the ride and extra insulation. So no need to ad reflex to the insides of the cabinets like I did on my Phaeton??
Nice. Hope it works out. Going to Orlando?
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStitchy View Post
Nice. Hope it works out. Going to Orlando?
No, a little further down the coast.
Old 06-11-2023, 04:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
No, a little further down the coast.
Both good spots. I bought 2 Newmars from Independence but get a lot of service work done at North Trail.
Old 06-11-2023, 06:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStitchy View Post
Both good spots. I bought 2 Newmars from Independence but get a lot of service work done at North Trail.
I actually got this one from La Mesa down in Port St. Lucie. But since we travel all over the southeast for work, I’m always interested in which dealers are good with service. Thanks.
Ultrastryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 06:27 PM   #11

Nice writeup folks. I enjoyed the read. Than you.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:41 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I actually got this one from La Mesa down in Port St. Lucie. But since we travel all over the southeast for work, I’m always interested in which dealers are good with service. Thanks.
Some folks have mentioned these dealers did not want to do warranty work on Coaches that they did not sell. However, in the case of North Trail I always included a fair amount of billable work with the warranty work - upgrades and maintenance. They never turned me away.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:49 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim 75
For what its worth. My sis and bro-in-law just bought a brand new 2023 Tiffin Phaeton 40IH. It has been an absolute DISASTER from day one. Been in Red Bay for close to two weeks with no end in sight---very sad. Purchased late last year.

__________________________________________________ ___________________
Jim 75 2012 MADP 4336
Jim 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 01:13 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I had a Tiffin and just purchased a 2023 New Aire last month. Out of the gate I am noticing a big difference in terms of factory customer service in both responsiveness and tone. That said this is my first normal service ticket into Newmar so it is a single data point. Jury is still out overall, but initial impressions are that Tiffin bent over backwards to put the customer first and doing whatever it took whereas I'm still waiting to see how this first Newmar ticket pans out once it fully plays out.

Flip side, the dedicated named rep on my Newmar window for "emergencies" on the road was awesome when I called on another issue; something I didn't have with my Tiffin.

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tiffin