Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #1

Newmar owner, Prevost admirer

So I've debated on posting this, curious as to what the feedback might be, wondering how many of you may think I'm nuts but here goes. We are on our 5th motor home. The first was a 1996 Winnebago Brave. Since then we have had a 2005 Kountry Star gasser, 2- 2000 Mountain Aire DP's and we now have a 2011 MADP. Obviously I love the coach we have now. It's beautiful and is by far the best riding, best driving, most comfortable coach we have ever owned.

I have however always had an infatuation with Prevost's. Not so much with the H-45's but with the XLII's, the ones with the stainless steel body. For what my coach is worth I could probably have a 2000-2003 Prevost depending on who did the conversion and how many if any slides it has etc.

I know Prevost's are said to be 1,000,000,000 mile coaches. I am 54 and do wonder how far my Mountain Aire will take me. I love quality and I think that Newmar builds a very high quality coach, but it's still hard not to drool over some of those Prevost's.

So, if someone like me sold their 2011 MADP, went out and bought a 10-12 year old Prevost, how many of you would think I had completely lost my mind? Obviously this is the Newmar forum so (I think) I'm prepared for what you might say but who knows. I may have to change my username after this and reappear as someone new

Dean
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
you money,your life, get what you want while you can is what i say
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #3

I wouldn't worry too much about what others think.
If a Prevost is in your dreams, go for it.
You only live once.....
Old 07-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #4

Having driven both the XL and the H3 45 as commercial buses, the XL was (in my opinion) our best riding coach. There is much more storage in the H3 45. Didn't like loading luggage in the XL. Have not driven a MADP.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Well in the technology area I would say you have the candy now with the 2011 MADP. Going back to
2000 could mean tube TV's again. Wiring that isn't multiplexed. No LED lighting. No residential fridge,
No electric induction cooktop. Not sure if Inverter diesel generators existed then or not (for the quiet).

Cummins /Allison combo in the drivetrain makes your current MADP a "1,000,000 mile coach" IMHO
But I say if you like it and can afford it ---- go for it! Can you cut me a deal to take your MADP off
your hands?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Community Moderator

......and oh yeah I almost forgot, only the MADP has comfort drive !!!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #7

Interesting thought.
I have all I need in 33 feet, and shudder at what the care and feeding of another 22 feet may be.
But if I wanted it and could swing it, oh yeah!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Interesting thought.
I have all I need in 33 feet, and shudder at what the care and feeding of another 22 feet may be.
But if I wanted it and could swing it, oh yeah!
Did you mean 12 feet?
Old 07-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Find one, try it...and try to do it without being dreamy eyed. If it gives you what you want, besides the looks, as compared to the MA, go for it...why not?
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post

Did you mean 12 feet?
Dang finger!

12 feet. Also, about another 35,000 lbs.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #11

Deanjeep, when I was single had a job where I traveled the entire lower 48. I had no home but did have a new (barely used) 1992 Marathon built on a standard Prevost chassis. It had no slides but I was a traveler and not a camper. I pulled a company Suburban, find a nice place to stay for however long the job took and use the Sub to travel locally. At that time the coach cost $475K. It was affordable only because I could depreciate it, claim the operating expenses in addition to the company I worked for treating me very well. They paid me mileage 27cents per mile then, bought my fuel and paid my campground fees, as well as a daily stipend for meals and lodging. I loved the coach and never thought of my work as a job. I put a tad over 100K on it and only had to return to the factory on one occasion. I wanted a couple of things modified and one of the water pumps (there were three) needed attention. I kept the coach for a little over 2 years and decided that ir was a sad commentary on a mans life when everything he owned was on wheels. I sold the coach to a coworker for my equity plus 15%.

I ordered a 1995 Foretravel 320SE. This was the first year of the body change. Mr. Fore got the 1st one and mine was number two. That coach was 286K which I was able to buy it outright. I kept that coach until 2008 and went back to the factory on three occasions to have the coach updated and modernized. I continued to use it in my work but on a limited basis due to some health issues.

Both units served me well and both garnered a lot of attention wherever I went which I confess to enjoying very much. Having said that, here are my observations.

The Marathon: It was a bus and converted by a premier converter but it was still a bus. There were height issues that one had to be constantly aware of. Maintenance had to be performed but either a truck or bus garage. The Detroit/Allison combo needed a lot of tweaking and mileage was between 5 and 6 on average. It required almost constant exterior washing because of the lower Stainless and upper paint. There were so many redundant systems, gauges, switches, buttons and levers it was almost overwhelming. Even so I loved it!. Many of the issues I had to deal with are of no consequence now as that was then.
T
The Foretravel: It was built on a proprietary chassis, had an eight airbag system and was the best riding and handling coach I ever owned. The interior was equal to or superior to that of the Marathon. The operating systems while basic, were easily mastered and a lot less prone to wiring issues. The height including the dome was 11'9". The amount of storage was superior to that of the Marathon as most of the bays on the latter were taken up by operating systems, freezer and an entertainment center.

While it is was true then and maybe still today, there was a certain status associated with the Marathon but strangely less people stopped by my site to chat than with the Foretravel. That did not concern me as I was and am a bit of a loner. Just an observation. Never was one to join clubs or owners associations so I can't comment on those issues. I did find that Marathon, Newell and other high end owners were a bit, shall we say aloof. Remember, I was a working guy and didn't raise my pinky finger when sipping my Jack Daniels at days end. So while I had the equipment, perhaps I lacked the class to go along with it. So be it.

In summary: Both of these units did a good job with only limited issues and equal customer service although I give Foretravel more points in that area. If cost were the deciding factor and glitz secondary, I'ed do a Foretravel or equal over a conversion. Because Prevost, MCI are Canadian built, there is inherently more costs involved in obtaining a chassis.

While I can't really advise you, I'll say this. You get what you pay for as a rule. I was fortunate enough to have owned in my opinion the best that were available at the time. Of course, that was then and this is now. Residual value if taken into consideration will be a wash I think. While all RV's depreciate rapidly, the really good ones fare better in the used market.

As my health continues to fail (cancer), I still have the fever to travel. My old girl does me fine and since it seems that I've been everywhere twice, staying within a couple of hundred miles from home is not all that bad. Best regards to all.

As you know by reading my signature, the coach I have now
Old 07-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

— Mark Twain
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Have fun and enjoy your choices !.....you will never find your ultimate as you look around
I owned a 911 (Porsche) and my friend had a Turbo.....I wanted a Ferrari afterwards.........in your life you have to be satisfied with what you own......a Newmar Dutch Star (2006) and am satisfied.....with a few years more as ya grow up, you stop this change in attitude and wanting................................ and the Prevost does not impress me at all
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #14

Another great Prevost resource is a forum on Prevost Community, a great group of folks, current Prevost owners, past Prevost owners, and future Prevost owners. We are currently in the research mode and plan to purchase within the next 16 months. The learning on Prevost Community Forum is invaluable and at no cost.
Red1Barn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar