Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2022, 06:47 AM   #1

Newmar Owners: Mystery Question

Can any Newmar owners identify what these after market wires are that come out of the back of the TVs in my coach? They are clearly installed by Newmar. I am well versed in general AV connectivity but am at a loss as to what these wires do.

I hope someone has experience replacing TVs and can quickly identify their purpose and also indicate if they reinstalled them on their replacement TV.

Thank you for answering the mystery question. Have an awesome day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of Marvin TV wires.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	365.9 KB
ID:	354435  
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2022, 06:52 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
They look like external speaker wires. Our Itasca had similar wires going into the TV.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermind Me View Post
Can any Newmar owners identify what these after market wires are that come out of the back of the TVs in my coach? They are clearly installed by Newmar. I am well versed in general AV connectivity but am at a loss as to what these wires do.

I hope someone has experience replacing TVs and can quickly identify their purpose and also indicate if they reinstalled them on their replacement TV.

Thank you for answering the mystery question. Have an awesome day!
I somehow doubt those were installed by Newmar. Hmmm.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:01 AM   #4

RCA plugs could also have something to do with the camera system. Maybe they had to rewire it
Old 01-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have the "BOMB", (box of many buttons) that allows you to connect your TV's to a VCR/DVD player, amplifier or home theater? Often those were used on the BOMB to input all the TV's and other components and then you just push the front buttons to connect a particular TV to a DVD player or Home Theater.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:03 PM   #6

Same question asked back in Sept 2021......did you try the suggestions of tracing the wires?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/what...ml#post5916005
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
I somehow doubt those were installed by Newmar. Hmmm.
I appreciate the thought. Though I am not the original owner, there has been no other customization on my coach by prior owners. That is why I believe it came this way from Newmar.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Do you have the "BOMB", (box of many buttons) that allows you to connect your TV's to a VCR/DVD player, amplifier or home theater? Often those were used on the BOMB to input all the TV's and other components and then you just push the front buttons to connect a particular TV to a DVD player or Home Theater.
Thank you DSD for that suggestion. I do have a box like that in the A/V cabinet and it was my initial thought as to the purpose because ALL 4 TVs have this wiring. I was hoping for someone who actually replaced their TVs to validate my hunch or provide other direction. The reason I am unsure is video and audio distribution would not require "add-on" wiring as the TV inputs could handle the A/V signals without adding additional wires. I'll call Newmar or Stienbring if someone with experience doesn't chime in.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Same question asked back in Sept 2021......did you try the suggestions of tracing the wires?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/what...ml#post5916005
Yes Old Biscuit, I did ask the question before but didn't get an answer from a Newmar owner who had experience replacing their TVs. I thought I would try again during the "down" travel time.

The wires disappear into the "unknown" so physically tracing them wasn't possible and an audible tracing device didn't yield a result in the A/V cabinet location where I presumed they went to the Duch Star Don "box of many buttons."
Old 01-23-2022, 07:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger2 View Post
RCA plugs could also have something to do with the camera system. Maybe they had to rewire it
Thank you for the suggestion. My rig doesn't have the cameras tied into the TVs.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:25 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermind Me View Post
Thank you DSD for that suggestion. I do have a box like that in the A/V cabinet and it was my initial thought as to the purpose because ALL 4 TVs have this wiring. I was hoping for someone who actually replaced their TVs to validate my hunch or provide other direction. The reason I am unsure is video and audio distribution would not require "add-on" wiring as the TV inputs could handle the A/V signals without adding additional wires. I'll call Newmar or Stienbring if someone with experience doesn't chime in.
Just a guess, I believe those are TV OUTPUTS. Your distribution box is most likely connected to a Home Theater unit. By supplying the OUTPUTS from the TV, they can be used by the Home Theater speakers. Just follow one set from a TV and see where they plug into the distribution box, on an input or output side.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:45 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2004 3501 Mt Aire, Workhorse chassis. it has similar RCA cables. Although I have never actually traced the cables to see precisely where they go, there is an equalizer or sound booster located by the passengers footwell that could be a part of it. Also, in my RV there is a CD changer located in the overhead compartment behind the passenger seat. It also has RCA cables coming out of it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help right now, my RV is currently stored for the winter in an offsite facility and not easily accessible.
PalmerAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:17 PM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to Farfman Send a message via AIM to Farfman
For a surround sound system.
Old 02-01-2022, 05:43 PM   #14
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
That is definitely not Newmar OEM. I'm assuming some sort of audio out. Does the TV in question actually have an analog audio out? I suspect the PO wanted to get analog audio to some sort of switcher or external stereo system.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar