Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2017, 01:05 AM   #1
dp7

Newmar paint prep quailty

When we picked up our new Ventana it was on a bright sunny day. It was not until it was parked in the garage under fluorescent lights that I noticed the large number of dirt particles under the paint. The paint prep is definitely no where near automotive quality. Curious if others have encountered this also.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2017, 04:47 AM   #2

Yep, had a couple of areas the dealer had to sand and reshoot. I also have some over spray around the wheel wells the dealer also corrected.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
My wheels are covered with overspray that entered the covered wheels from the backside
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #4

We did the factory pickup with our '17 LADP last month. The engine bay door was covered with overspray. The paint supervisor came over to look at it and said they would clay bar the door. They ended up having to take it back to paint for 1 1/2 days for that and other areas that I identified as bad. Some areas they repainted/cut/buff and others they clay bared to remove overspray.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Yep, had a couple of areas the dealer had to sand and reshoot. I also have some over spray around the wheel wells the dealer also corrected.
Did Independence do this?
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Did Independence do this?
Yes, Todd the Service Manager noticed it and had Tony the painter correct it. Thay are a great dealership and you will be happy you purchased through them.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:32 AM   #7

Most Newmar coaches have the problem with dirt blems under paint. Next time you are at the factory take a look at paint building behind customer center. The doors are wide open while painting and vehicles driving back and forth across dirt lot stirring up dust. Also your coach was driven across same dirt lot into paint garage. I spent much time observing the prep inside their paint garage and never once did I see them ever run a tack cloth across before painting. If yours has no blems them it must have been painted after a rain so no dust. I've had two Newmar's and both had/have the dirt blems.

Only way to get quality paint job is inside an enclosed paint booth.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:52 AM   #8

Wow sounds a little shocking. How has this not come up more often. Which building is the paint shop?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #9

We had our 04 Essex re-fiberglassed and painted at the factory in Oct. of 2011 and it was a outstanding paint job. Most Newmar owners are very pleased with their paint work on their coaches but not all paint jobs are the same and it sounds like a couple owners are holding Newmar accountable to fix and I am sure they will.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #10
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
When we picked up our new Ventana it was on a bright sunny day. It was not until it was parked in the garage under fluorescent lights that I noticed the large number of dirt particles under the paint. The paint prep is definitely no where near automotive quality. Curious if others have encountered this also.
Agree. The paint quality on our 2015 Ventana is subpar and way below our much cheaper previous Winnebago Journey.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #11

Does anyone know if they have done anything in the last 6 months to improve or have any plans to improve?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:12 AM   #12
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Does anyone know if they have done anything in the last 6 months to improve or have any plans to improve?
OP here. Our pickup was just three weeks ago, so representative of current production/quality control practices.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Frankly, I'm surprised we don't hear more about dirt in the paint. Those of you that have been to the factory know what a dust bowl this is. Today the winds are extremely high the dust is so thick it is hard to breath.
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Frankly, I'm surprised we don't hear more about dirt in the paint. Those of you that have been to the factory know what a dust bowl this is. Today the winds are extremely high the dust is so thick it is hard to breath.
Ugh!!! My coach is being painted. Aren't they in an enclosed building?
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, paint