Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2021, 04:15 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Just wondering why you bought 2 of the same part.
We purchased the first one for 398.71 and had a part number on the bag so we googled it and found the one with 119. We sent the 398 dollar one back and got a full refund just out shipping. I wouldn't have sent it back if it was 149 retail pricing buy over twice retail you bet I will send it back.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2021, 08:34 PM   #16

You didn't post which was which.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:48 AM   #17

There are many times that something can be bought from a vendor for less than the manuf. due to trade agreements that the manuf cannot sell to the public for less than the retail price. That being said, double the retail price is just plain price gouging. Tells you a lot about the present state of the RV industry as a whole. We all need to remember BUYER BEWARE !!
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brynwood View Post
FYI, Winnebago no longer sells parts to general public. You have to go a dealer or ....
Is this the sign if the times?
Winnebago may not sell parts and ship them to a customer's address, but they do still have an active parts department at their Forest City location. We were there in July for the annual GNR and the parts department was going strong.

I was contemplating purchasing a few minor parts for our Adventurer but decided to pass on it rather than wait through the line of more than a dozen people.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #19

Newmar has always been very expensive on some parts and very economical on others. I have no idea what their pricing logic might be. I doubt it has anything to do with Winnebago.

It seems that every time someone posts about an issue with Newmar, some folks always want to pin it on Winnebago. Like Newmar had no issues before Winnebago came along.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Even though they bang you on some things, like said above, some stuff seems too cheap. I just ordered the vinyl strip that runs the length of the FWS floor joint. I anticipate that a couple of years down the road, my color may not be available. The 32' strip was $38.00. I would have suspected at least $75 - $100.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #21

I've purchased wiper blades at a good price from them. When the "reverse connector" switch on my leveler system needed replacing, I paid a little more but the service tech talked me through how to get the system to work by reversing two sets of wires, and because I was headed on a trip, he said I could just keep reversing the process so I could continue with my trip plans. But, I paid extra for two day delivery and had the part in my hands the next day, installed it and was ready to go the day before our scheduled departure.

It boils down to just doing a price comparison and speed of shipping if that is an issue. And of course, on some parts that are make and model specific, we have no choice!!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:03 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sadly I think it depends upon the part as to the markup and sometimes they are actually cheaper than expected.

Right before our last trip I had taken apart the area under the sink to install a 2nd KIB kitchen panel (didn’t happen yet). When I got the panel off I noticed that the flex drain line had been secured too tight and had kinked at the zip tie. See pic 1.

I called Newmar parts and it took them a few hours but they tracked it to a part they pull from production $23 including shipping.

Because I only had a few days I also sourced parts at the box store (spa hose and fittings) and I bet I spent about $16 for the one I made in the field.

- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4035.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	340577  
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:48 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Prices vary a craZy amount everywhere. I have found some of the lowest & highest prices at Tiffin. I have purchased three MCD shade motors through Newmar at different times for under $100ea when Tiffin wanted $$230. But found Tiffin the cheapest on other items than anywhere online.

One thing I have noticed as we prepare to return to the S&B and do annual maintenance is prices & availability of some things both motorhome and auto have changed a fair amount since last year. CraZy times for sure
2021 GMC Canyon Denali
DiddyPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
One of these cost 398.71 and the other cost 119.97 with a list price of 149.99. Both come in a Dometic package with the same part number on the package. One was purchased through Newmar Parts and one was from Environment Marine Services Inc. Can anyone guess which one is from Newmar and with one is from Environment Marine Services?

Attachment 340343
Every OEM doubles the cost for retail doesn’t matter if it’s farm equipment or an RV. It always is cheaper to research for aftermarket parts.
Rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
One of these cost 398.71 and the other cost 119.97 with a list price of 149.99. Both come in a Dometic package with the same part number on the package. One was purchased through Newmar Parts and one was from Environment Marine Services Inc. Can anyone guess which one is from Newmar and with one is from Environment Marine Services?

Attachment 340343
The bottom one is clearly a higher gauge wire and far superior, so I'm going to say the top one is the $400 Newmar part.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I know that Klauber makes the slide motors for Newmar. On my particular motor, Klauber charges Newmar about $350- $400. Newmar sells it for $1200.00.

Sooooo...... make a product that fails, construct a deal that doesn't allow the manufacturer to sell to the public and then sell the part for three times what it cost you. That works on a $5 part, but is BRUTAL on a $400 part.
Harley Davidson has been using this method for years.

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:38 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's justified

Entegra, and I am sure other manufacturers, increase their parts prices, sometimes considerably. Leadtimes can be stretched out because, while they might have stock, it may be reserved for new coach building. On the other hand they also may have the part in stock and available. To Entegra's credit they will tell you that their price has a markup. If asked, they will also freely tell you who the manufacturer is and their part number along with the Jayco part number. Other than rare circumstances, Entegra parts will get back to you quickly, usually the next day. They frequently want a picture of the part in advance so they can make sure they are quoting the correct part and I recommend that all RV owners incude a photo when looking for parts from other coach manufacturers. Inflated parts prices help pay for some of their overhead. Being honest about it is an added benefit.

I have noticed that shop labor rates also are rapidly increasing to what I consider excessive levels. $175 and up for service is way too much. I brought my coach to a Cummins shop recently to have a belt replaced and an AC compressor checked out. They tech they assigned to me didn't have a clue and after flaying around for two hours he brought over another tech who diagnosed my problem in about five minutes. I left with a high bill, the work not completed pending buying a new compressor, and not a fan of Cummins service work.

I can't speak for other manufacturers but I can tell you that both Entegra parts and support are excellent at what they do and the information they give me is always helpful and useful. And I usually buy my parts elsewhere.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:51 PM   #28

Newmar Parts Actuator

I needed to replace my actuator motor for my locking arm on my slideout. I have a 2009 Newmar Dutch Aire. Similar situation. I purchased the actuator from them for $541. When I got the part I was able to get the manufacture's part number. It was made by Firgelli. I went to their website and they sold the same part for $139. To Newmar's credit I was able to return it for a full refund. In this case I think Newmar buys the part from Andrew Screw Products who makes the metal box that houses the actuator and Andrew buys the part from Firgelli then sells it to Newmar at a markup then Newmar marks it up again. When I spoke to Newmar they said the $139 price was lower than their cost. Do your research when you need parts. Newmar is generally pretty transparent and will tell you who the manufacture is or look closely at the old part and see if you can see the model number. I was able to save a lot of money when I had to replace my wiper motor by buying it directly from the manufacturer. This is in no way meant to knock the Newmar parts department. I have still bought many parts directly from them and found them to be very helpful but if a part seems extremely expensive do some research.
iholtzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, newmar, parts