RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #1

Newmar patent design Flat-Floor Slide-OuT

I got this link from "007" illustration of the Flat-Floor Slide-OuT. It appears that the floor is flush once the slide out is fully extended. Why does Newmar cover the driver side floor, driver side dinning area and driver side bedroom area with carpet ? Are there any aesthetic issues using a tile with the gap or transition on the slide out floor ?

Introduction to Newmar Slide Outs

Vlady Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When the slide rollers drop down the ramp for slide to make a flat floor the rug makes a easy transition for slide to match up with a tile, hardwood, or rug floor.
When the slide is in, or closed the edge of slide can be easily stepped on with the rug finished slide floor.
If you were to have a tiled or hardwood floor slide floor you run the risk of popping off a tile or crack a hardwood floor edge.
Another reason could be weight of material on slide floor which is about a 5/8" plywood thick floor again for weight reasons.
I am sure the low torque motors could operate the slide but the dressed edge of slide would need reinforcement because of what I have said.
The rug also will hold the chairs for table to the floor so they do not slide around.
Since Newmar came up with the level floor slide years back all level floor slides have been this way before the level floor slide the slide floor was built with a slit step up on to slide.
Some of the kitchen slides are built up now as can be seem here.
With the raised kitchen floor that can slide over a full tiled floor or wood floor.
Here is a good description of a full wall slide in use.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #3

I appreciate the explanation. It make sense with the floor edge being an issue for wear and tear due to exposed edge when retracted using wall to wall tile.

Here is a clever design by another manufacture to achieve the wall to wall tile cover and eliminated the raised slide out portion of the floor once the slide out is retracted.

3 mins. 7 sec. into the video
Old 04-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looks to me slide raises on retraction and looks under the dinette its a rug.
This is a completely different design for slide plus its your great coach for many more dollars than a Newmar.
It seems to me your talking yourself out of a Newmar for a Tiffin flush slide or into a Newell.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #5

The Newell's floor is cool for sure. I would have just needed to add a 1 to the front of my Dutch Star's price.

You know when I type it out it sure seems like a cheap way to eliminate all the carpeting.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #6

You just have to be creative with the $1.6M tag price. When the main floor drops, think of it as a special storage space for cache of weapons. You know, just like in the movies, "My name is Bond, James Bond"...LOL !
Old 06-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Does anyone know what year Newmar started putting in the flush floor slides, and what which of the lowest models in their lineup had them?
Old 06-16-2017, 04:46 PM   #8

We purchased a London Airein 95 and it had a flat slide out floor. If I remember we were in a 94 London Aire and it too had a flat floor.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi All,
Weight is the main reason the slide had carpet for so many years. It took several years of engineering to get to where we are now. Flat floor, tile in the slide. The STAR foundation and HWH hydraulic slide mechanism were the answer.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar