Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2021, 02:20 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All organizations have a natural tendency to expand their "Empires". Be it govt of private businesses. After a while they lose their original enthusiasm and while the work force expands the output, or quality decreases. Happens all the time.

Lately I have read a lot of complaints about Newmar quality not being what it had been. Work forces that had once shared the pride of producing a quality product, now have grievances against this or that manager or CEO. Managers and CEOs have bad feelings about the work force. It's a hard line to walk. Happens a lot.

In comes a new CEO. His job is to save the company from bankruptcy and that will probably mean eliminating a lot of overhead, meaning people who do not contribute.

It's a tough world out there.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2021, 02:57 PM   #16

It's unfortunate that a lot of people who didn't want to buy a Winnebago are going to end up with one......-Paul
Old 08-24-2021, 03:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
All organizations have a natural tendency to expand their "Empires". Be it govt of private businesses. After a while they lose their original enthusiasm and while the work force expands the output, or quality decreases. Happens all the time.

Lately I have read a lot of complaints about Newmar quality not being what it had been. Work forces that had once shared the pride of producing a quality product, now have grievances against this or that manager or CEO. Managers and CEOs have bad feelings about the work force. It's a hard line to walk. Happens a lot.

In comes a new CEO. His job is to save the company from bankruptcy and that will probably mean eliminating a lot of overhead, meaning people who do not contribute.

It's a tough world out there.

I think you are totally wrong about Newmar facing bankruptcy....-Paul
Old 08-24-2021, 03:30 PM   #18

Hey guys, let’s give it a chance at least. I know several Winnebago owners who are very happy with the warranty and customer service Winnebago delivers. I know, they have lesser coach’s maybe but really like them, I am waiting with a watchful eye.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:49 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Uggh....I hope Newmar management can teach this guy how important it is to have a least 1 or 2 quality manufacturers in the industry. I have never been impressed with Winnebago product and would not even consider them.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Agree....their is always a tendency to reorganize and rarely does it help. If it ain't broken don't fix it. Hopefully, the new guy is not your typical corporate knucklehead
Old 08-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think this is long over due and is a good thing for the business.

The worst thing for any company is a person at the helm that doesn't have his eye on the ball, and doesn't have the passion to keep innovating.

Matt made his money, and clearly was ready to move on. There are many challenges coming up, and I think this transition is a great step forward.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:49 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I also hope that Newmar learns a few tricks from the Winnebago lines in this process. Things like electrical schematics and other documentation that would be really nice to have when things go bump on the road. How about higher end entertainment options in these expensive coaches? There are a lot things Newmar can adopt from the parent that would make us all happier.

I’ll wait and see the results before I make up my mind. Winnebago has more to lose than I do.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Standard operating policy following a purchase or merger. Keep the original ownership/operational team in place just long enough for a seamless hand over and to maintain customer confidence in the product or service. What will follow will be a slow integration of the child company into the parent to the point the child no long exists as it once was.

We'll see the same in a few years with Tiffin and eventually both brand names will be phased out with the model names rolled into the the parent company portfolio. Coming soon to the dealer's lots the Winnebago Dutch Star and the Thor Phaeton.
How many versions of the same RV need to be made under multiple brand names?

Think the USA car builders - Ford, Lincoln, Mercury; Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth; Chevy, Olds, Buick, etc. The differences are in available trim packages and options.

The reason for Thor Industries, Winny, or REV Group to buy brands is to get the market share those brands represent.

Plymouth, Mercury, and Oldsmobile no longer exist in the USA because maintaining the brands were not seen as critical to maintaining market share - Mercury buyers could be moved to Ford or Lincoln, Plymouth to Dodge, Olds to Buick or Chevy.

At some point, an RV holding company does not need multiple brands making functionally identical products in multiple, spread out factories, each with it's own supply chain, procurement, and labor bases.

I've said before that the secret to making "good" RVs is for robots to do most of the work (we build commercial aircraft with robots these days) and that means a wholesale change to factories, supply chains, and labor brought about by brand consolidation. If every Thor Industries brand's travel trailer models were made in the same factory the benefits of automation could accrue, but not without centralization (which comes with its own potential consequences).

As for what happens in the long run... we have to wait and see. If Thor Industries purchase of Jayco/Entegra is instructive, things are not automatically bad.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
How many versions of the same RV need to be made under multiple brand names?

Think the USA car builders - Ford, Lincoln, Mercury; Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth; Chevy, Olds, Buick, etc. The differences are in available trim packages and options.

The reason for Thor Industries, Winny, or REV Group to buy brands is to get the market share those brands represent.

Plymouth, Mercury, and Oldsmobile no longer exist in the USA because maintaining the brands were not seen as critical to maintaining market share - Mercury buyers could be moved to Ford or Lincoln, Plymouth to Dodge, Olds to Buick or Chevy.

At some point, an RV holding company does not need multiple brands making functionally identical products in multiple, spread out factories, each with it's own supply chain, procurement, and labor bases.

I've said before that the secret to making "good" RVs is for robots to do most of the work (we build commercial aircraft with robots these days) and that means a wholesale change to factories, supply chains, and labor brought about by brand consolidation. If every Thor Industries brand's travel trailer models were made in the same factory the benefits of automation could accrue, but not without centralization (which comes with its own potential consequences).

As for what happens in the long run... we have to wait and see. If Thor Industries purchase of Jayco/Entegra is instructive, things are not automatically bad.

What are the 5 things that a robot could do that they aren’t already doing? What is the business case for doing the …… with a robot. Cutting wood for cabinets on a CNC does not count as 1.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #25

I am a firm believer that there will be a streamlining of the Newmar line. It only makes sense. Drop the Kountry Star, Mountain Air, Essex and maybe New Air also. This would allow Newmar to focus on the remaining models. Similar to the way GM operated. You bought a Chevy, then a Pontiac, then a Buick, then an Oldsmobile and finally a Cadillac.
Buy a BayStar, then a Canyon Star, then a Winnebago DP, then the Newmar DP line. Also Winnebago has a Sprinter offering.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:25 PM   #26

X2 pilotspike!
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:52 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Read the “About”

Being a retired manufacturing guy, let me tell you the jobs that get cut to get from 50% to 11% of SGA is a train load of people!

Lean manufacturing totally eliminates craftsmanship.

Product quality often improves with Lean processes, but again… the models, options, and choices are history.

You can take it to the bank, the non warranty repair, and working on older models is history. Look into what repair centers Winnebago has…..none.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:04 PM   #28

We have a 2018 4018 Dutch Star and were planning to order a 2023 Mountain Aire next year. After this news we are a little skeptical. If I wanted a Winnebago I would buy a Winnebago. The last two times we had service at Newmar service center, the service was not up to the standard we had expected. Fortunately we have found a place near our home that we have had excellent service from and the quality of service far exceeds what we had gotten at the factory. We are rethinking our options, but don’t think will be moving forward with a new purchase next year. We bought a Newmar for it’s quality and we don’t mind paying for quality. I will not pay the price of a Newmar for a Winnebago.
Traveltime09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tire, winnebago