Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2022, 02:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newmar President Named

Looks like we now have a new leader in Nappanee ...

https://rvbusiness.com/winnebago-nam...ion-president/

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2022, 04:56 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hard to feel good about this as my coach sits at the dealership week 2, for recall and punch list items (park brake warning, steering effort control disabled, dash AC blowing hot air, plus others).
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:35 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Personally, I miss the Miller family’s hand on the tiller.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:27 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been vocal the past few months on this forum with my displeasure with newmars lack of leadership.

I am happy to see a leader in place, and hopefull that he is focused on restoring customer service, quality, and the brand values.

I have never met Mr. Happe, but have spoke to several people that know him and speak very highly of Mr. Happe as an individual and leader. He personally chose Mr. Tubman, so that means a lot to me.

Change won't happen overnight but should happen swiftly in some areas.

Personally I will be paying attention to production changes as well as dealer warranty relations. This is the first stage of the relationship with the customer and the company. How the product is delivered is very important.

For those of us that have received a coach in less than ideal condition, we are relying on Newmar to make it right.

The process of making it right needs to be as effortless and painless as possible for the customer.

I see this as progress towards that goal, and look forward to being a loyal Newmar customer in the future.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:45 AM   #5

Would like to be positive about this but, take a look at problems reported with Whirlpool washers on this forum. Sort of like my and others experience with Newmar on the substandard seat material. We'll see.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:26 AM   #6

I hope he gets his arms around the quality control issues of the coaches coming off the assembly line. So far, my 2022 Dutch Star has failed to meet my expectations.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:22 PM   #7

Given the time that has elapsed since the last President left late last year, Michael Happe and/or others involved have clearly taken a considerable amount of time to find and hire a replacement. I’m willing to believe that indicates a thorough search and not settling for anyone less than the best available candidate. Hopefully that will prove to be the case.

Based on what I could find online, Casey Tubman is 50 years old, so he’s young enough to be there a while. I haven’t watched all of it yet, but I found a YouTube video of a 45 minute interview conducted by a guy named Zach White. Skip the first minute & 45 seconds of promo & fluff to get to the actual interview.

LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:34 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Given the fact that he has no RV industry experience he will have a large learning curve. Will wait and see if he is still around 12-18 months from now.
Happs only interest is increasing profitability.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:17 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Let's assume his only interest is increasing profits....

How do you grow a business?

How do you ensure long term profits?

There is nothing wrong with wanting profits. In fact that is the job. Shareholders demand profits.

Some of the most profitable companies I know of have stellar quality, customer service, and innovation. (Apple).
Old 07-30-2022, 12:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC21 View Post
Given the fact that he has no RV industry experience he will have a large learning curve. Will wait and see if he is still around 12-18 months from now.
Happs only interest is increasing profitability.
Not uncommon to bring in new leadership from another industry.

Back in my aerospace days new management from other and smaller industries were cultured in and changes were put into effect. Many business units began operating more effiently. These new people saw things before in thier line of business that the company that is hiring them never saw or was exposed to.

Many management folks realize that bringing in new talent from outside allows decisions to be carried out without being stuck in "familiar" industries. It's like can't see the forest in spite of the trees.

Like you all, I'm planning to get my first DP someday, now I'm in analysis mode. You are all pioneers for me. Let's hope all the quality issues Newmar has had are rectified. I too want to buy quality unit. It'll be a wait and see and hope he hears from the voice of the customer.
Tachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:51 PM   #11
Rd1

Quote:

Some of the most profitable companies I know of have stellar quality, customer service, and innovation.....

I too had my interaction with Mr. Happe. He seems like a genuine person. I addressed the freightliner pdm and tail lights defect directly to Happe and his counsel. At first it seemed they were applying some pressure on freightliner to get the defective issue addressed. Freightliner in their typical cunning approach were advising Newmar they were working on my unit to resolve their defect. Surprisingly, Newmar contacted me to verify. Which obviously was not the case.

Since, I have learned Newmar has lobbied NHTSA so Newmar no longer has to issue safety recalls on behalf of Freightliner and other suppliers. Based on Fed Motor Veh Safety Standards (FMVSS) requirements, all manufacturers were to issue safety recalls to their respective customers. Ie, when the first pdm issue was recalled, freightliner issued their own specific recall effecting 12,311 units. That covered all body builders. Newmar (and other builders) would then issue their own version of the recall addressed to their own specific customers. In this case there were some 2,005 Newmar owners who would receive the recall letter from Newmar as well. This process insured a better chance for owners to be notified of the SAFETY notice.

For Newmar to eliminate this process is not an example of customer care or service. Saving a few hundred or thousand dollars in first class recall notice letters will not break their bank account. However, it can have a consequential impact on one of their customers. After all, it is a SAFETY issue.

OTH, I wouldn't be surprised if Newmar had enough of freightliner's cunning approach for repeatedly not disclosing/addressing a host of safety defects. That too could have been one of the reason. Regardless, it is still a Newmar product. If they actually care for their customers, you'd think issuing a safety recall notice would be a top priority!

Finally, 'WE' on the other side of the coin have some civic responsibilities too. It is fine to offer varying opinions on such issues here. 'WE' can also have considerable influence on how these executives conduct themselves.

It is true that the bottom line is the driving force for many corps and increasingly becoming the 'only' concern, in this ever increasing market of buyout/mergers/acquisitions. However, IMO, the bigger issue is the consumers who are willing to sit on the side lines. In this forum, there are very very few who raise clear issues of concern and even fewer who are willing to take it up the ladder to the execs.
Hence no motivation for the decision makers to change.
Old 07-30-2022, 01:57 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd1 View Post
.... However, IMO, the bigger issue is the consumers who are willing to sit on the side lines. In this forum, there are very very few who raise clear issues of concern and even fewer who are willing to take it up the ladder to the execs.
Hence no motivation for the decision makers to change.
Rd1...you have hit the nail on the head.

A year ago today I ordered my 2022 London Aire, and put up for sale a flawless 2019 Dutchstar that was perfect for me and the family.

It was a financial decision to do so with unique market conditions.

I became aware if severe quality issues in November of 2021 when product started showing up at dealers. I traveled to many dealers to see first hand the quality issues and met with owners taking delivery.

That was when I posted this thread:
2022 Newmar Quality call to action
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/202...ml#post5993481

I did get responses from owners via email, pm, Facebook, etc. Confirming similar issues.

My coach was delivered in February and I am still waiting for Newmar to follow thru on their commitment to me to make it right. So far it has not happened. I have not posted specific issues and details with my coach as I am trying to give Newmar a reasonable amount of time to make it right. With new leadership, I fully expect Newmar to do the right thing and understand it won't happen overnight.

For all of those with a coach under warranty, review the paint and body section of my post. Review the wood work section. These are key areas that determine a coaches value both new and when being sold.

The craftsmanship and quality of paint and wood has always been a market separator between Newmar and lower brands.

Market conditions, supply chain issues, and employee shortages explain delays in production, higher prices, and lack of availability.

It is not an excuse for poor quality and improper methods used for paint and wood on new construction.

The mentality has become one that Newmar assumes the customer won't notice and its cheaper to ship out poor workmanship and assume the customer won't notice.

This won't change until the majority of owners push back and insist that it be taken care of properly.

Failure to get it repaired now may end up costing you personally when you decide to sell or trade.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC21 View Post
Given the fact that he has no RV industry experience he will have a large learning curve.
True, but different business experience coming in can be a very valuable asset for any top executive to bring to the table.

I remember when Lou Gerstner came to IBM Corp in April 1993 when we were spilling red ink. Lou had no computer/technology company background. Inside IBM many questioned how a guy coming from Nabisco could turn around a giant tech company.

Within a year the "painful" transition process of literally saving a company was well underway. A huge number of the executive team had left or were removed...a necessary step to actually getting major change done. Revenues over his tenure of a decade rose from $50B to over $100B. This does not happen without a satisfied and growing customer base. Profitability and hence INVESTMENT back into the business was restored.

Sadly, when Lou retired, a long time IBM insider took the helm and over her tenure revenue declined over 20%. Familiarity with an industry doesn't necessarily equate to running a successful company in that industry.

I wish the new Newmar President the best. Former and current executives at Newmar have ignored or tolerated some long standing engineering and quality items. The test will be if the new leader simply slides in and goes with the flow or dramatically redirects Newmar back to a path of uncompromising quality and customer service.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglou847 View Post
Would like to be positive about this but, take a look at problems reported with Whirlpool washers on this forum. Sort of like my and others experience with Newmar on the substandard seat material. We'll see.
I hear you on the substandard seat material.Waiting for ours to get worse, before addressing the problem at our expense.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar