RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
Zak

Newmar radio build issue-not impressed!

I get an email at 3:30pm today from the dealer on our MADP build happening right now...says newmar supplier rainout of Sirius radio and NAV combo head units...so newmar just went ahead with the NAV only. I am not happy as sat radio is a huge part of our travels. I do not want a unit installed later on in our dream coach by some local stereo store hacks. I wanted it wired properly during manufacturing. I did also not drop half a mint so I can have a Sirius antenna rolling around loose on the dash or strapped to the roof after the fact.

I am gong to insist newmar do better here. Can any members suggest how I handle this and what other option I ask for? I don't mind paying some more for a higher end head unit, but I have to have newmar install during the build. Thanks for any suggestions.

Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #2

Are you taking delivery at the factory? with VIP delivery? The service guys would probably swap out units for you and it would be factory quality work.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Notify the dealer and the factory rep of your concerns.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
Zak

Taking delivery at dealer, so working with newmar after the fact isnt much of an option. I've already emailed my dealer back indicated full stop on this until they sort it out. I thought a couple other members with coaches under recent build had this same problem and resolved it with alternative head units?

This is a good example of how they work through the dealer and how communications need to happen more quickly and directly with the customer. Who knows how long my dealer took to relay the issue to me. I as in meetings until after 5pm and didn't get the email until everything was done and closed.

I am sure they will do something Monday if it's not too late, otherwise I'm going to ask newmar to pay for dealer to install proper unit during my delivery. It just ticks me off that non newmar techs are going to be pulling wires and drilling holes in the roof after the build (potentially...for the sta radio antenna). They should be able to deal with this more efficiently and offer us options rather than One or the other on the fly...
Old 02-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #5

Same situation as you. Our DSDP is just starting production and investigation I did came out the unit they were going to install is a lemon. Get them to install just the Sirius unit and then use a separate gps unit which will be easier to update maps than the one they had. Keep me posted how you make out.

Now I am going back to recheck what they are installing!!!!
go oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
Taking delivery at dealer, so working with newmar after the fact isnt much of an option. I've already emailed my dealer back indicated full stop on this until they sort it out. I thought a couple other members with coaches under recent build had this same problem and resolved it with alternative head units?

This is a good example of how they work through the dealer and how communications need to happen more quickly and directly with the customer. Who knows how long my dealer took to relay the issue to me. I as in meetings until after 5pm and didn't get the email until everything was done and closed.

I am sure they will do something Monday if it's not too late, otherwise I'm going to ask newmar to pay for dealer to install proper unit during my delivery. It just ticks me off that non newmar techs are going to be pulling wires and drilling holes in the roof after the build (potentially...for the sta radio antenna). They should be able to deal with this more efficiently and offer us options rather than One or the other on the fly...
Newmar will work with you!! You might be able to have them run it through the service dept. at the factory for a change out before it ships to your dealer and hopefully the factory will still run the antenna wire. You might want to spend some time this weekend researching replacement units on your own. Do you know the mfg and model of the factory unit? If it's the same as ours, I can give you dimensions.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #7

Newmar usually puts Nav units in that in two or three years you can't get map updates on them anyway. Stick a $100 Garmin on your dash save yourself a headache. I have a $3800 pioneer in my Essex that the only thing it's good for is the backup camera.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you call Newmar and ask for Michelle she maybe able to sort out your problem.

As John mentioned, Michelle at Newmar and other staff there read these posts. I recall your very informative discussions about L-Sofas and Fold and Tumble and the thought of making a collective appeal to Nappanee. Great stuff.

Taken from this post, good luck.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #9

Last resort have them install the antenna. That way you can hook up the radio when it becomes available.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
FWIW...there hasn't been an in dash GPS in any vehicle that I have wanted to own. Updates are a PIA and often $eriou$ ca$h.

Too often they don't even put them in a place that is good for viewing. I can't speak for your MH and its location so take that for FWIW.

I like my RV Garmin 760 and the ability to have located it where I like it. It is easy to update via computer.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #11
Zak

Thanks guys. Isn't there two head units? I thought one is stereo and Sirius and the second is gps? I may be confused here. I was thinking newmar is installing a stereo unit that does not have sirius capability, and a second gps head unit. That was my concern. A 2103 DSDP I just saw has this arrangement from factory. Who would want a useless CD player with am and fm only?

About Michelle Howard.. Totally agree! Have spoken to,her twice in past few months and she is awesome. She has been way better at providing info pre-build than our dealer. I guess I could call her Monday as well.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you ordered the coach with Satellite radio and they could not get the heads, would they still not install the antenna on the roof?

I agree with the others. I have a fancy Pioneer gizmo in my coach that is a combo Sat radio, FM radio, GPS, and backup camera monitor. I use the monitor and the radio but prefer my Garmin 760 GPS.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
Thanks guys. Isn't there two head units? I thought one is stereo and Sirius and the second is gps? I may be confused here. I was thinking newmar is installing a stereo unit that does not have sirius capability, and a second gps head unit. That was my concern. A 2103 DSDP I just saw has this arrangement from factory. Who would want a useless CD player with am and fm only?

About Michelle Howard.. Totally agree! Have spoken to,her twice in past few months and she is awesome. She has been way better at providing info pre-build than our dealer. I guess I could call her Monday as well.
On ours we have 2 screens on the dash, the left head unit can be Sirius, radio, GPS, dvd, or camera views, the right side screen is only camera and trip trek.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #14

This is what's in the King Aire....one unit. I have been installing tweeters and a sub woofer system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KA Radio 1.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	57184   Click image for larger version

Name:	KA Radio 2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	57185  

bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags