Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had two vent windows replaced for fogging, Newmar covered both, the first during warranty, the 2nd outside of warranty. It sounds from discussions here and discussions with Newmar and my service contact that this is a fairly common problem.

I'm assuming though that even though this recall is being made due to more severe symptoms, (Windows falling off...just 'slightly' more severe...) its the same problem? i.e. the seal between panes is failing to varying degrees?

Seems logical that an early sign could be fogging with later signs being a loose pane flapping in the breeze with the potential to become a 60mph glass freeway frisbee.

Just this past weekend on I-5 in Wash. state I was passed by a large fairly new 5th wheel with frameless windows and one window was kind of bouncing in the wind. I thought it odd that the crank mechanism would be that loose unless it was an egress window left unlatched. After reading this thread though...it was I guess potentially this problem, and a lot more ominous than I thought at the time as it slowly bounced past me.

Hope they haven't had too many actually fall off, but it obviously was a significant enough number to trigger the recall. Ouch.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Lippert windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switt View Post
Ok with the recall but the nearest Newmar Dealership is at least 250 miles and I’m sure Newmar will not pay for the fuel cost.
I'm dealing directly with Lippert to have them replaced at my local shop instead of my awful dealer.

The Lippert site shows how they are examined. A shim is inserted alongside the window. If it goes in the glue is bad.

BTW, this is a safety recall, so it is a must repair by the company. A window could fall off and kill somebody driving next to you!
robertlipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:28 PM   #17

My escape door failed on my 2020 MA.. reglued with g
6000… has been working well for 6 months.. have to check the others as well
hwk2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:47 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have not seen the recall yet, but it is long overdue. I have had three units replaced - all within the first 12 month warranty. The rear bathroom escape door window failed, and I noticed it because while driving at freeway speed, I saw the outer pane flapping in the breeze. It could easily have fallen off and done some real damage to vehicles and people. I stopped and taped it together until I could get it replaced.

The two operable panes on my kitchen window both failed. I first noticed a very slight separation, which I actually thought was the window cranked open a bit. This photo shows what I found on inspection. The adhesive holding the inner and outer panes together had failed, and by separating them more with my fingers as shown in the photo, I was able to pull them apart. You can see the adhesive on the outer pane.

These windows have a hook-shaped tube on the top that lays over a continuous rod on the inner metal frame. The mechanism that opens the window keeps the pane from pivoting on the hanger mechanism beyond the limits of the opener crank mechanism. However, when the outer pane separates from the inner, there is nothing keeping it from rotating upward and possibly falling away from the hanger arrangement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window Failure.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	343804  
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:50 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwk2th View Post
My escape door failed on my 2020 MA.. reglued with g
6000… has been working well for 6 months.. have to check the others as well
These window units should be sealed and filled with a "noble gas" (usually argon). When you re-glue a failed unit, it will likely fog, which is what the originally-sealed unit should not do.
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:13 PM   #20

I don't know what the big deal is. I fixed 3 of mine with Gorilla glue. A small amount of glue and clamped the outer pain to the frame over night. This was over 2 years ago.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:50 PM   #21

2020 DS3709 All of my windows have been replaced by the dealer 2 of them twice.

I hade to have the DS long slide adjusted and the Factory Rep was at my dealer ship. When I took it up to get the slide adjusted he also looked at the windows and did just as described in the other threads, walked around lifted a corner and every vent window including the bathroom window was ordered and replaced.

I asked what was the problem he stated that the original window manufacture was bought out and the new manufacture changed the glue.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #22

Location: Mostly traveling. Several months spent on the Oregon Coast.
Window recall

I have had two window failures. My dealer just reglued the glass together with better quality adhesive. Once again, a Lippert product fails. I wonder what percentage of RV failures are linked not to poor build quality, but to Lippert components? Jacks, slides, steps, etc…
Clint11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:57 PM   #23

Got the recall. One window, the outer glass is flopping in the breeze. Made a appointment at the dealer a few days ago. Go a call from the dealer, they do not have the tool for the inspection, it is on order with a 6 to 8 week lead time. My appointment is before that. Hope the tool comes in. At least, winter is around the corner.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Clint11 - You are totally right. LCI makes junk regardless of the brand of coach. Windows, Steps, Slides, Levelers, Etc. And they just buy up more good manufacturers and turn them to junk.

Tom
Old 09-22-2021, 02:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
I’ve had many windows fail over three years since I bought the coach. All replaced at no cost to me. I really can’t see how the windows are going to be inspected. All of my failed windows looked and worked perfectly until they didn’t. So if your windows are inspected and they don’t see anything wrong then, if they do fail down the road are we now going to have to replace them out of our pockets? I check my windows often and presently they all look perfect. However, all my failed windows looked that way as well. That doesn’t mean they won’t fail.
You asked how will they inspect.
I have an appointment set with my dealer next week for the inspection. I asked the same question and was told, "Newmar sent us a 'stick' that we use to see if any window adhesive is coming loose". This did not inspire confidence, but I'm sure it's a fine, non-maring stick.
JoeRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:44 PM   #26

On what coaches is the recall on
Mrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtom View Post
On what coaches is the recall on
Read 1st post........
Any Newmar w/6400 windows in the year range .
Old 09-22-2021, 10:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRu View Post
You asked how will they inspect.
I have an appointment set with my dealer next week for the inspection. I asked the same question and was told, "Newmar sent us a 'stick' that we use to see if any window adhesive is coming loose". This did not inspire confidence, but I'm sure it's a fine, non-maring stick.
Sent us a stick
Greg Hindson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, recall, wind, window