Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2020, 11:22 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
That may be, but I’d really like to see the specs on that New Aire Spartan chassis.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2020, 06:29 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The Newco Chassis

One interesting twist to add:

If history is any indicator, Newmar will always lean toward Spartan. As evidence of this, consider the fact that Newmar once built their own chassis, which they dubbed the Newco.

The Newco was made for the Original NewAire in 2001-2002. But what's most interesting is that when you get underneath and look at the Newco chassis, you'd swear you were looking at a Spartan, albeit shrunk down a bit.

The Newco features Granning axles: an IFS850 front end with RD800N-7 (drive) and ITS800NC (tag) in the back. She's powered by the iconic Cummins 5.9 ISB mated to an Allison T2000 5-speed. One big difference is that the Newco has juice brakes, but it is air ride on 6 bags.

My service center, Scott's Truck and RV in Rockford, IL, is Spartan-authorized, and when the chassis techs first saw the Newco, they were enthralled with the design and execution.

In sum, the Newco was Newmar's first - and probably last - home-brewed chassis that has it's own interesting pedigree, but Spartan was definitely in there somewhere.

If you'd like to learn more about the Newco chassis, you will find the operator's manual in the PDF Library on our NewAire website.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:55 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newmar Reignites the Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
I have been tossing around buying a new coach in about a year from now. Probably another Dutch Star or a 35' New Aire. So with this recent change, both have the availability of Spartan or Freightliner. My current coach is a Freightliner and I am very happy with it.

A couple questions, would appreciate if someone could answer. Does Spartan have a website like Freightliner that has all the electrical, mechanical drawings, part numbers, serial numbers, service bulletins and recall information for your coach? Also, I am very happy with the service and price at Gaffney. Does Spartan have a place similar with RV service only?

Don’t know about the drawings but they gave us a vey comprehensive list of parts based on our specific VIN.

And yes they have a factory service center in Charlotte, MI. They also hold trainings there like CF in SC.

Since this is our first MH I can’t compare Charlotte to Gaffney but I will say I think I gained 5-10 lbs. the week of training! They fed us like Kings and Queens. [emoji16][emoji1][emoji2]
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #18
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Makes sense as they move Spartan towards the lower production units and keep a choice with high volume chassis like DS and Ventana. To us it’s a moot point, a horse that has been severely beaten to death.
Very good point here!
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:42 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Given all that Im still curious about the Spartan New Aire chassis. It would seem to me to have to be a new design as I can’t find anything under 37’ and those are both K1 Chassis’ and ISB powered.

So I’m curious whether or not it will have the same features as the 450hp K2 but shorter and the same, or a bit less, weight capacity. Time will tell, but with possible features like a 3 stage jake, and that side access service bay, and possibly traditional shifting rather than on the column, it has my attention. And the up-charge on a 40’ DS w/tag is only $4600 and I’m guessing it might be a bit less than that.

So the Spartan/Freightliner debate can continue along with Chevy/Ford and Canon/Nikon, but the idea of a Spartan Chassis under a 35’ New Aire is pretty attractive to me, so far. Looking forward to more info - so far nothing on their website for 2021 Newmar coaches. Or Newman’s site for that matter.

Looking a bit deeper I found a Foretravel 228” wheel base Spartan K2 ISL chassis. Since the 35’ New Aire Freightliner wheelbase is 226” this is probably comparable. So I’ll entertain myself with that for a while.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:09 AM   #20
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
Don’t know about the drawings but they gave us a vey comprehensive list of parts based on our specific VIN.

And yes they have a factory service center in Charlotte, MI. They also hold trainings there like CF in SC.

Since this is our first MH I can’t compare Charlotte to Gaffney but I will say I think I gained 5-10 lbs. the week of training! They fed us like Kings and Queens. [emoji16][emoji1][emoji2]
Thank you. Charlotte, MI is 200 miles for me vs 600 mi for Gaffney.

I am looking forward to seeing the specs on the 35' New Aire with the Spartan chassis.

Paul
Old 04-06-2020, 05:37 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
So here’s my dream coach.

35 foot NewAire on a version of the Spartan K3 with Cummins X12 (would it fit?) and the Allison 4000.

I think 2 AC’s and the 8K genny would suffice.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #22

Sounds like a great choice for the New Aire. We have a 18 LA with K-3 605 and this set up would be even a better performer then LA.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar