RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #1

Newmar Roll Bar ??

After reading the thread about the Steer Tire Blowout on the Entegra forum: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/stee...ut-353688.html , it discusses the extra strong roll bar installed on their MH. I am wondering what does Newmar do to protect the integrity of the cockpit for recent Dutch Star's?

I have not yet been to the Newmar factory but I have viewed a few build pictures from other threads, and I didn't see anything, but that doesn't mean its not in the cap that is attached to the front.

Thanks!

Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
All the years I have owned three Newmars or even some other brands I have not seen a roll bar installed in the MH's I have owned.
Never had a blowout in the years driving any coach and always had the proper tire pressures in tires to avoid blowouts by using tire MFG tire inflation tables, after getting coach weight.
Tire inflations will increase 15 to 20lb as tires heat up.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #3

You are assuming a steer tire blow-out will cause a rollover. That is one of the reasons
that Newmar, unlike Entegra, has Comfort Steer that keeps the coach going straight if a tire blows.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - We have done a lot of factory tours prior to ordering our new coach. I think the term "roll bar" is used in the advertising sense of the word. I sure didn't see any. I did see where steel supports are used in place of the usual aluminum but never a roll bar. 50,000 pounds playing turtle would require quite a bar.

BTW - I'd be more worried about the cabinet etc. letting loose and being missiles in a crash. That obviously failed but thankfully the owners were safe. Attach points are critical.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - We have done a lot of factory tours prior to ordering our new coach. I think the term "roll bar" is used in the advertising sense of the word. I sure didn't see any. I did see where steel supports are used in place of the usual aluminum but never a roll bar. 50,000 pounds playing turtle would require quite a bar.

Tom
This spells it out pretty clear. I got a kick about a "roll bar" being referenced in the entegra thread. I think most of the top manufactures put a steel crossbar over the top of the drivers/passenger area. Its definitely not a "roll bar" but its better than a piece of aluminum.

I would love to hear of someone that has had a steer blowout with comfort drive. My thought is it would help a lot but hearing of a first hand experience would be great. Having had 14 coaches I would not own one without comfort drive again.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar Roll Bar ??

Reading their account and looking at the pictures, this was not a "Rollover", it was one side, upright then the other side. I'm not sure about all of the talk about a "rollbar" and if there was a
"Rollover bar" it would have to be an incredible piece of structure. ( not saying anyone would have done different), Applying the brakes hard on a blowout, when they hit the rumble strip the tire probably came off the rim. So glad they were ok and terrible about their cat

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar Roll Bar ??

I did not want to come off as insensitive, and surely we all react differently in the moment when something like this happens.
It is my feeling that when you have a Blowout on any wheel, step on the gas and accelerate while steering straight until you regain control and then slowdown in a gradual Straight line.Comfort Steer to max setting in my opinion would help. The Safe t Steer product also assists in keeping the steering wheel straight.
Here is a Great video to watch:

Let's all keep the rubber on the road with the shiny side up

Old 08-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd like to know the story behind this Country Coach, looks like it held up pretty well. All steel, welded semi-monocoque construction and I think it's the same model as mine.
We owned two DSDP's and felt pretty safe in them. I also took the Newmar factory tour some years ago and don't remember seeing anything special in the overhead aluminum framing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	damaged CC1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	173047   Click image for larger version

Name:	damaged CC3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	173048  

Click image for larger version

Name:	damaged CC2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	173049  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Comfort Steer to max setting in my opinion would help. The Safe t Steer product also assists in keeping the steering wheel straight.
The setting on the efforts control has no effect on the power applied to the steering gear. It only affects the power applied to the driver. This means that during an unexpected steering event, whatever setting you currently have will be just fine. Please do not take time or attention away from maintaining or recovering control of the coach to mess with it. Wherever it is will be fine.

Please do not combine Comfort Drive with an aftermarket system as was inferred. They will try to pull the front wheels to different places, making each other unhappy. The CD will win but the disagreement between systems will build unwanted heat wear in the steering system. If the intent of the statement was to suggest that an aftermarket device could be used on a coach not equipped with a CD, that is a choice each individual owner must make.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
The setting on the efforts control has no effect on the power applied to the steering gear. It only affects the power applied to the driver. This means that during an unexpected steering event, whatever setting you currently have will be just fine. Please do not take time or attention away from maintaining or recovering control of the coach to mess with it. Wherever it is will be fine.

Please do not combine Comfort Drive with an aftermarket system as was inferred. They will try to pull the front wheels to different places, making each other unhappy. The CD will win but the disagreement between systems will build unwanted heat wear in the steering system. If the intent of the statement was to suggest that an aftermarket device could be used on a coach not equipped with a CD, that is a choice each individual owner must make.

Thank you for the clarification on CS, I was not inferring to add a Safe T Steer, only mentioned it as it was on the crashed unit. Thanks again

Old 08-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #11

The only manufacturer I know of that installs(ed) roll bars (like in a Jeep) is/was Born Free Class C's. They would install them in the house and the cab framing would support the cab roof. I understand that they ceased operations in May of this year.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzee2020 View Post
The only manufacturer I know of that installs(ed) roll bars (like in a Jeep) is/was Born Free Class C's. They would install them in the house and the cab framing would support the cab roof. I understand that they ceased operations in May of this year.

I have noticed when the cockpit structure is being built there are a few pieces that are steel and not aluminum overhead. I believe both Newmar and Entegra do this. It definitely is not a roll bar just some added strength over the driver and passenger.

A roll bar for a coach of this weight would be pretty big that is for sure.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:36 PM   #13

The real roll bar for my little test truck (only 20,000 lbs) was 6" in diameter and was braced both fore-and-aft and crosswise and I still would not have wanted to roll it over. I seriously doubt that any production coach at twice that weight could have such a structure.

Tags
newmar