Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2016, 08:09 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Hi Bruce, The 2 Blizzards shipped last week Thursday and i'm hoping to have the installation some time this coming week.

Greg, Which bolt holes didn't line up and how did you fill the "old" holes to prevent future leakage? I thought that you were replacing Penguins.

My replacement Penguin II's came with the J box connections but Newmar had it wired for the inline connector. We switched the wiring and used the in line.

As far as noise is concerned, I didn't mind the sound as the unit was running, but I did not like the "bang" as the AC fan turned on. This is why I'm switching to the Blizzard and hoping that it doesn't wake me up at night. Let me know.

Frank, In order to determine what type of units you have, just remove the 4 screws from the shroud and look for the Mfg. label next to the compressor. My HP are 851816 with relate to 15K H.P.
Only the rear bolt holes lined up. The front two were at different locations but still aligned with the roof beam.

I sealed the old holes by screwing a 1" lag bolt down the old hole and then covering the bolt head with self leveling lap sealant. Now its like every other screw head on the roof with self leveling sealant on it.

That is interesting, I don't hear a "bang" in the units when the fan kicks on. And what I like most is that you can barely hear when the compressor kicks on. The only way you know is a slight variation in fan speed momentarily while the compressor spins up. Like I said, I am very pleased with the quietness of the units. My units are the #651816.
gregd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd View Post
Only the rear bolt holes lined up. The front two were at different locations but still aligned with the roof beam.

I sealed the old holes by screwing a 1" lag bolt down the old hole and then covering the bolt head with self leveling lap sealant. Now its like every other screw head on the roof with self leveling sealant on it.

That is interesting, I don't hear a "bang" in the units when the fan kicks on. And what I like most is that you can barely hear when the compressor kicks on. The only way you know is a slight variation in fan speed momentarily while the compressor spins up. Like I said, I am very pleased with the quietness of the units. My units are the #651816.
On my old units, the only time I heard a "bang" was when the fan was set to "auto" and the entire unit cycled off. I suspect the rearmost rubber blocks were transmitting noise to the roof. Leaving the fan in "high" typically stopped noise.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I also don't hear the "bang" with the Penguin II unit (I have one on the front while the rear is still the old type). My suspicion is that noise is the related to the reversing valve. On the old Penguins, the default mode is heat, which means when cooling the reversing valve must be activated. On my old unit that produces a softer "bang".

When the unit turns off the reversing valve deactivates and the refrigerant, which of course, is under pressure, suddenly flows the other way which produces the loud "bang". When heating and going into and out of defrost, the reversing valve does the same thing, it's just less noticeable as the fan is running.

Since the Penguin II units default in cool the reversing valve does not need to be changed so there is no sudden reversing of refrigerant when it turns off and no "bang".

It's interesting to hear that sometimes the mounting holes don't line up, my mounting holes lined up well enough to use (within 1/8"). I replaced a 13.5K Penguin 630515 with the Hi Cap 651816.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #60

Well, maybe "bang" isn't the proper description, but you guys have actually hit on some thing that I hadn't considered. Leaving the fan speed set to low or medium rather the auto setting. Once I get past the initial start up noise of the fan turning on, there is no change in sound when the compressor cycles in. So by leaving the fan in the on position, it should be better.

Back to the Blizzard, in looking at the installation manual, in order to properly align the duct work, it appears that the entire unit will be set about 3 inch forward and will most likely have to seal the existing holes and create new ones.

I'll try to take some pictures while the installers are on the roof and post details when the job is done.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #61

Quote:
Well, maybe "bang" isn't the proper description, but you guys have actually hit on some thing that I hadn't considered. Leaving the fan speed set to low or medium rather the auto setting. Once I get past the initial start up noise of the fan turning on, there is no change in sound when the compressor cycles in. So by leaving the fan in the on position, it should be better.

Back to the Blizzard, in looking at the installation manual, in order to properly align the duct work, it appears that the entire unit will be set about 3 inch forward and will most likely have to seal the existing holes and create new ones.

I'll try to take some pictures while the installers are on the roof and post details when the job is done.
If I am running air I typically keep the fan on "High" anyway to prevent icing. I sometimes use "Auto" if I am using heatpumps so the fan isn't blowing cool air between cycles.

As I had mentioned, when I needed to fill a few holes I used a cut dowel with some Gorilla Glue on it and covered it with a 3" square of Eternabond. I also use a square of Eternabond on the roof (under each mounting hole) for the new A/C and run the lag bolt thru it. It will seal around the threads.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #62

Well, as I had posted previously, we waiting over 4 weeks for the new Blizzard NXT units to be delivered and an additional 3 weeks while we were on vacation so you can imagine my excitement this morning when the Dometic techs showed up with the new Blizzards. I tried to stay out of their way while taking a ton of picture but after the removal of the old Penguin II units and examining:

The Newmar style plenum does not line up with the Supply side of the AC unit.

Approximately one half of the opening is blocked which would act as if you are constantly running the unit on low, which intern would have the potential of freezing up. Domestic warranty department confirmed that they will not work with the Newmar design.

Waiting for 2 more Penguins to be delivered.

**the first picture is the Newmar roof top opening. top of photo is towards the front of the RV.

**second photo is the Penguin II as removed

**third photo is the Blizzard as received from Dometic

Note the "small" opening.

Las
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0540.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	134445   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0538.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	134446  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0548.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	134447  
Old 07-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #63

Quote:
Well, as I had posted previously, we waiting over 4 weeks for the new Blizzard NXT units to be delivered and an additional 3 weeks while we were on vacation so you can imagine my excitement this morning when the Dometic techs showed up with the new Blizzards. I tried to stay out of their way while taking a ton of picture but after the removal of the old Penguin II units and examining:

Approximately one half of the opening is blocked which would act as if you are constantly running the unit on low, which intern would have the potential of freezing up. Domestic warranty department confirmed that they will not work with the Newmar design.

**the first picture is the Newmar roof top opening. top of photo is towards the front of the RV.

Las
UH OH ... that's the same baseplate outlet position as the Brisk II.

Bummer !!
Old 07-30-2016, 07:20 AM   #64

Quote:

Las
UH OH ... that's the same baseplate outlet position as the Brisk II.

Bummer !!
Old 07-31-2016, 12:45 PM   #65

The rubber gasket that is on the old penquin, do you put that on the new penquin or do you order a new one?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2016, 12:53 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
The rubber gasket that is on the old penquin, do you put that on the new penquin or do you order a new one?

Thanks
Do NOT use the old gasket. Dometic supplies a square gasket with the new A/C but you ALSO need a separate divider gasket if you have a Newmar. The separate gasket is available from Newmar. It's the gasket shaped like a hockey stick (an L ) in the pictures.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:50 PM   #67

I do have a newmar. I was talking about the one on the unit itself. It appears that there is one on the unit and on the coach.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:19 PM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:

Thanks
I made a gasket out of this material doubled up and put it in with contact cement. It seems just as dense as the Newmar material and has worked just fine.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:48 PM   #69

Quote:

Thanks
Ricky,

The rubber gasket in the first picture covers the aluminum diverter frame and can be used again.

In the second picture, the 14" square gasket is installed on the Penguin AC unit as received from Dometic. The funny shaped "L" gasket in that second photo can be purchased from Newmar. Part number 52715 and cost me about $15.00 for 2. shipping included. Do not try to reuse the old one.

Now just for additional information, we looked at the rubber gasket (photo #1)on the roof and determined that if we could rotate it 90 degrees counter clock wise, we could install the Blizzards but would reverse the discharge and return vents. I said go for it.

Didn't realize that the rubber gasket was a cushion for the aluminum frame underneath and we were not prepared for major surgery. Packed up the Blizzards and waiting 2 more Penguin II's to be delivered.

To be totally honest, if I have problems with the new Penguins, I will change out the Newmar roof plenum for one that is compatible with the Blizzard.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #70

Quote:
I do have a newmar. I was talking about the one on the unit itself. It appears that there is one on the unit and on the coach.
You are looking at pictures of 1 new A/C with a new gasket on it and the roof surface with 1 used gasket still attached to the roof. Sometimes the gasket sticks to the roof and sometimes sticks to the A/C. Only 1 gasket is required.

Tags
ace, newmar, replace, replacement, roof