Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #29

Anybody know if this applies to all Newmar coaches on a Spartan chassis or just the Ventana?
Dougw
2001 Dutch Star

2023 Forester 3051 Towing 2020 Ford Escape hybrid
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2022, 10:05 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Anybody know if this applies to all Newmar coaches on a Spartan chassis or just the Ventana?
Dougw
2001 Dutch Star
https://newpar.newmarcorp.com/instan...s/BLTN580R.pdf

Link Courtesy of RedBaron 73, check his post as well.
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:22 PM   #31

I checked the torque on our 2022 LA both upper and lower, all was good!
I know I will still need to have the “official” inspection and will have Nappanee address in August.
For now, I know it’s not going to fall off.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:12 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
I checked the torque on our 2022 LA both upper and lower, all was good!
I know I will still need to have the “official” inspection and will have Nappanee address in August.
For now, I know it’s not going to fall off.

I received the recall notice Saturday on our 21 ventana and checked upper and lower and they were torqued to specification. Now to arrange an appointment with a dealer for the certification.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:08 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
I’m about 5 or 6 hours from the closest Newmar dealer (I’ve got one under 2 away, but they won’t even do the recall because I didn’t buy the coach from them). Checked myself to make sure. I’ve got the Spartan chassis with the reax column.

BOTH bolts were NOT torqued to spec. The one in the coach was about 6 ft/lbs light and the one outside was about 4 light. Glad I checked.

I’ll put it on the list of dealer items for the late summer visit.

Of note, my interior bolt was the same size as in the spec. Nut and bolt head both 11/16. Outside nut was the same, but the bolt head was 9/16. They don’t mention a different spec for the outside bolt, so….if anyone else has a Ventana with the reax column, I’d be interested to know if the bolt head was different on the outside bolt.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:11 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
I pulled my steering column cover to check the bolt, and all is good and tight. Sure looks like a conical lock nut on it. I will add it to my list of things to check if I don't get it to a dealer within the year.

I did find a strange KIB button - see link to my post below. Also, the wires for this KIB button were riding right on the self-tapping screw they used for the steering column cover. I moved it so it will not rub and chafe.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/kib...ml#post6188040
That button is to use to setup your keyless entry, at least it was on my 2015 DSDP. I also checked my bolt today and all is well, but I'm, or tried to drill a hole after the nut to place a cotter pin in it. My drill bits suck, so I need to get some more that will go through it, bad angle to get to as well.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:02 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
This happened on a 2014 Ventana of a Freightliner chassis, video link below,

And now another Poster shown below had the outside u-joint/steering knuckle have the same issue. His thread is below:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/los...-582463-2.html

So Newmar's recall should be for coaches going back to at lease 2014, Freightliner or Spartan.

I want to let anyone reading this thread to see it as a possibility on their older coaches as well.

I drilled holes behind the nut on both the inside knuckle and the outside knuckle and placed stainless steel cotter pins through them, wrapping the excess back around the bolts, so there is NO WAY for that nut to come off of the threaded bolt.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, recall, safety