Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2007, 06:29 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Traveling to Spartan and Newmar on Feb 5th - 7th. This post is not a rant or a vent. It is merely a reflection of my state of mind regarding my coach and Newmar. My hope is for electronic therapy from the forum members.

I'm really happy to be part of the Newmar family. However, I have had an inordinate amount of problems and a hapless dealer who was supposedly highly rated. I write this now as I picked up my coach from the dealer's paint shop yesterday.

Apart from a barely average 3 day job that took 2 weeks to repair damage the dealer's chassis shop did in the first place, there is now an ABS error and the right mirror will not adjust all the way up. My current punch list is at 41 items and growing it seems everytime I get in the coach. This is after the dealer had the coach and original punch list for 3 weeks after my shakedown cruise, and me fixing all I could on my own w/much help from this forum.

My experience has not been reflective of Spartan's or Newmar's reputation nor, from what I can tell, the experience of the majority of this forum's members. I believe and hope that the dealer is 95% of the problem. I am no where near the proverbial straw and that poor camel.

After having sung Newmar's praises to family, friends and customers well before owning one, this has become embarrassing. It is really hard telling my father-in-law that he made a mistake buying a Monaco. He is now in the market for a 43'er and it is challenging explaining that my coach is an anomaly. I busted my butt doing research and have pride about this major purchase like many of you.

This trip to Spartan and Newmar is important and I want to give them every chance to succeed. I'll be spending around $700 just for travel plus several days of my time. The money isn't the issue but, the value is.

I'm a new customer, a conquest customer (i.e. moved from another brand) and at my stage in life, will be buying many more coaches. At this point in my ownership experience, how Newmar handles the issues/problems is the number one factor by far in satisfaction.

While Bob Gregory's experience is very encouraging, the feeling I get from some posts on the forum and the dealer is that a sticker price of "only" $330k isn't enough to get a superlative response to problems. Again these are my current feelings, no evidence to substantiate that.

To be clear, I am going to Nappanee w/a very positive attitude. Both Spartan and Newmar have my benefit of the doubt. I really do want to have a great relationship and be proud of my rig, Newmar and Spartan. This forum has been particularly helpful in keeping my outlook positive and restored my faith multiple times. I have also made some great friends and acquaintences. Thank you for that and allowing me to honestly convey my gut feelings.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2007, 06:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Traveling to Spartan and Newmar on Feb 5th - 7th. This post is not a rant or a vent. It is merely a reflection of my state of mind regarding my coach and Newmar. My hope is for electronic therapy from the forum members.

I'm really happy to be part of the Newmar family. However, I have had an inordinate amount of problems and a hapless dealer who was supposedly highly rated. I write this now as I picked up my coach from the dealer's paint shop yesterday.

Apart from a barely average 3 day job that took 2 weeks to repair damage the dealer's chassis shop did in the first place, there is now an ABS error and the right mirror will not adjust all the way up. My current punch list is at 41 items and growing it seems everytime I get in the coach. This is after the dealer had the coach and original punch list for 3 weeks after my shakedown cruise, and me fixing all I could on my own w/much help from this forum.

My experience has not been reflective of Spartan's or Newmar's reputation nor, from what I can tell, the experience of the majority of this forum's members. I believe and hope that the dealer is 95% of the problem. I am no where near the proverbial straw and that poor camel.

After having sung Newmar's praises to family, friends and customers well before owning one, this has become embarrassing. It is really hard telling my father-in-law that he made a mistake buying a Monaco. He is now in the market for a 43'er and it is challenging explaining that my coach is an anomaly. I busted my butt doing research and have pride about this major purchase like many of you.

This trip to Spartan and Newmar is important and I want to give them every chance to succeed. I'll be spending around $700 just for travel plus several days of my time. The money isn't the issue but, the value is.

I'm a new customer, a conquest customer (i.e. moved from another brand) and at my stage in life, will be buying many more coaches. At this point in my ownership experience, how Newmar handles the issues/problems is the number one factor by far in satisfaction.

While Bob Gregory's experience is very encouraging, the feeling I get from some posts on the forum and the dealer is that a sticker price of "only" $330k isn't enough to get a superlative response to problems. Again these are my current feelings, no evidence to substantiate that.

To be clear, I am going to Nappanee w/a very positive attitude. Both Spartan and Newmar have my benefit of the doubt. I really do want to have a great relationship and be proud of my rig, Newmar and Spartan. This forum has been particularly helpful in keeping my outlook positive and restored my faith multiple times. I have also made some great friends and acquaintences. Thank you for that and allowing me to honestly convey my gut feelings.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:00 AM   #3

Scott, I'm pretty sure you are in for a great experience. I had my DSDP several times at Newmar in Napanee for service and every experience was great. Granted the service experience is now enhansed with the EXDP, however, thinking back, I had no compliants, in fact praise. We will be awaiting your report on your experience.

Peter
Old 01-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #4

I hope that your experience will be a positive one. Not only for your sake but I currently own a KSDP and will consider upgrading when I retire. The experience you have with Newmar service will have some influence on my decision.

Thanks for posting your experiences and having a positive outlook on what will occur at Newmar.

Ed

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Location: Full-Timer (Thousand Palms RV Resort - Inverness Fl)
Scott -

Best of luck in getting your palace on wheels in the condition it should have been when delivered. I don't own a NEWMAR and after following all the troubles Bob had and others - everyone can say what they want, but I wouldn't buy a NEWMAR - there are too many other choices out there, and regardless of what some people say - these issues are a direct reflection on quality assurance. I'm getting ready to step up from our initial test bed RV (1996 Thor) that has provided exactly ZERO problems for 2 years and 25,000 miles - to a 40' or more DP - our house is on the market for more than what I would need for any of the "Big Boys" type rigs but I would really like to avoid being one of the regulars and constant fixture at one of the manufacture's factories. It's nice to hear that the factory service is really great - but how much is enough? Again only my opinion, but I really wonder if the term "upgrading" is proper terminology when you double what you pay for a new unit and spend months trying to get it where it works. I realize all manufacturers have problems but not all of them have price tags of $500k or more. But it's only money. Good luck and safe travels.
MCPO Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #6

Bill, I don't care what you buy, you can have issues. Every make and cost. This is not a Newmar issue, there are Bob like stories in every make. I had an '02 DSDP for four years and put about 58,000 on it. ZERO issues. That does not guarranty that a new DSDP would be the same.
Your elimination of Newmar based on this is a mis judgement on your part I feel. But, you have a right to your opinion and what you want to get.

Peter
Old 01-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Scott, my experience at the factory was positive. Everything was fixed to my satisfaction, except for one item, which is serviceable but not quite right. I'll get that item fixed on my next visit, as I have a few more minor items. Nothing that is mission disabling.

You need to be proactive, and let them know what you want and expect. I got what I wanted by treating the techs with respect, and not ranting.

The factory is where I want my work done, not at a dealer.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know it's an easy decision to make the factory your service department but living in Seattle and having a lousy local dealer its a problem. We purchased a 2005 left over in 2006 and have a few issues which I repaired myself because of this dealer. The battle between Workhorse warranty or Newmar warranty is constant.I feel Newmar needs to put more time and emphasis on the dealer network and not keep forcing people to drive several thousand miles to get good service. So far we are happy as we have had low miles. We are heading out in May so we are keeping our fingers crossed.

I hope yours works out great for you.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Brazels in WA. is a WH repair center have hookups for overnight if a WH problem.
They are a sponsor on irv2 give Mike a call they will take care of your chassis problems.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:37 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Kaye,
At the Tampa RV Super Show Rally, Dick Parks said when you buy a Newmar product all your problems are his problems. He asked all in attendance, if problems are not being addressed, to give him a call. Dick said coach, chassis, engine, etc. they all are his problems. Try it and see what happens. Mention the Tampa rally and reference Dick's remarks to the owners in attendance.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Scott,
The problems with my coach are long an legendary. Am I satisfied with Newmar quality (out of the factory quality), absolutely no, I am not satisfied. Has my dealer and a visit to Nappennee and Charlotte solved almost all the problems, absolutely yes. The saving feature is my 05 has a 3 year warranty. My punch list continues to exist. I have a quarterly appointment with the dealer. I sincerely hope the components stop needing replacement before the warranty ends.

Like Bob, I would, most likely buy another Newmar product. I'm not quite sure what personality defect I have that makes me say this. I guess the only problem I have is the lack of quality from Newmar manufacturing. The other two legs of the stool (dealer and factory fix it techs) have been outstanding.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #12

Let me give you the benefit of 11 months of service experience.

First, my dealer has been amazing for service. They are responsive, fix things the first time and the techs are available over the phone to help trouble shoot problems. I can not say enough about Midway Motor Homes in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Second, Newmar tech support has been very good, but not as good as my dealer. I have taken my 2006 MADP to the factory twice for warranty service. My total punchlist exceeded 2 pages. The second time was to fix a few things they never got right the first time plus several new items. I have to give Newmar an A for effort, but the quality of service is based on the tech that performs your work. I have not seen any evidence of a quality control process to check completed repairs. My first factory service had to be extended 1 extra day because the technician did a poor job of rehanging the side hinged luggage doors and re-undercoating the underside (permature rust). When I showed Jonas (foreman) the poor work, he was very apologetic and assured me that everything would be finished the next day. I had stand next to the tech to show him how the doors would not close and the locks would not catch. Not sure what his problem was.

Their is no doubt that the quality coming off the Newmar production floor does not stand up to their reputation. However, Newmar is better than most.

Plan on being in Nappanee longer than expected.

With all of this said, I am still pleased with my decision to buy a Newmar. Whoever buys my 2006 MADP will be getting an incredible coach, better than new.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you 007. That is a much better solution. I didn't know they were an authorized Newmar warranty shop and or workhorse. I know they have a great reputation. We purchased in Bismark ND at Captial RV and I will say they have been fantastic. On the phone repairs way beyond the scope of what they should be doing so I could bring home the repair myself.

Also Gary, thanks for your information. That will be very helpful. I like it when someone says "thats my problem". Wish I was closer to you folks to be part of some those "Tampa " happenings.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the therapy at a difficult time. I am encouraged, especially since I just got some new Karma.

If things go well in a couple of weeks, I'll be joining Bob in the NKK lifers.

BTW, do you think it would be too much to ask the techs at Nappanee to retrofit my rig w/Comfort Steer?