Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar service specials

Here's current service deals and prices
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Newmar service specials.pdf (69.0 KB, 350 views)
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are those rates the same during the Jan to March labor rate discount?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #3

Gulp, $2,000 for a wax job!
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never thought all your hard work on your coach was worth that much did you.
I wonder what a dealer would want for same job and if they would do as good a job as yourself or Newmar.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
WOW, I made darn good money every fall for the last 5 years.
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:32 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Wow!! Some things aren't completely unreasonable... others... wow!

I've found numerous items installed, wired or mounted backwards, loosely or otherwise incorrectly. Newmar is a great manufacturer - one of the best and I love the people that work there and the overall quality they produce compared to other brands. But, they are not without fault (otherwise, we would have problem-free coaches from the get-go, what a dream that would be!)

I do believe the manufacturer KNOWS best -- they did design, build or otherwise procure the product afterall. That doesn't mean the manufacturer DOES best. I don't subscribe to the practice of driving cross-country for oil changes, routine maintenance ... or anything outside of structural issues, really. I certainly don't fault those that do (and recognize some just go because the people are so nice,) but I don't believe ANYONE on this earth will care as much about working on my coach (or any other vehicle in my "fleet") as I do.

I have a fluid exchanger, air tools, oil drains and dispensers, a room with nothing but spare parts, filters, etc. and a plethora of other tools and equipment to resolve just about anything that could arise with the coach or other vehicles, so maybe I'm spoiled and would feel differently if I only had a tacklebox full of tools and limited experience at my disposal (electrical is my weakness.)

If you have the physical capability to do your own maintenance, I'd encourage you to learn and try it. It may seem intimidating at first, but provided you follow procedure, it's not difficult and very rewarding. You know exactly what goes in and comes out of your coach, with 100% certainty. For me, maintenance is more exciting than Maxim Magazine.

The only thing I don't do myself is alignments. I'm very lucky to have a Spartan Chassis (albeit firetruck) shop that puts up with my OCPD. I drive it on the alignment rack, go with them in the pit (I adjust the ride height at that time, since it is unbelievably easier that way) let them make their adjustments and pull it back off the rack. That way, I'm still part of literally everything that gets turned, screwed, adjusted, replaced or otherwise touched. It's an OCPD thing. :(

Bottom line: in June, I did everything on both of those lists (that applies to my coach anyway) - including: complete Allison filter and Transynd fluid change (my cost was $400) and a two stage menzerna paint polish and zaino sealant. Total cost was under $1300 (a portion of that was just Transynd) and took 3 days total (1.5 of that was spent doing the multi-stage polishing and waxing/sealing.) According to that list, it would have cost me almost $6k!

To each his own... I love Newmar, but it's not a $6k and a trip to Indiana kind of love.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #7

Lindy....how about a picture of the wax job?
Old 09-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #8

How about a picture of your shop?
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did "someone" get the waxjob done? Or did they set it sooooo HIGH, that they do not have to do it???

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I talked to a couple at the factory in July of this year that were getting the $2000 wax job. ( NOt them, their motor home) He said the clear coat had many tiny scratches and just looked terrible so they were going to have the coach repainted. Someone there convinced them that the "wax job" would do and make the coach look just like new again for a fraction of the cost of new paint. Forgotten all the steps he said was involved, but it was far more than a wash and a little wax. We left before we had a chance to see the finished product.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:05 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper 05MA View Post
Lindy....how about a picture of the wax job?
Sure!

I'm VERY particular. That wasn't just a wash/wax. I clayed the entire coach, did a two step polish (one to remove (not hide) slight scratches, swirls, tree marks, etc.) then another, less abrasive polish to remove any holograms left by the first stage polish. Then, two coats of Zaino to leave a mirror-like shine and protectant.

IF Newmar takes such steps, $2k might not be completely out of the question. It's A LOT of work unless you're one of those mobile outfits that comes by and fills/hides the defects long enough to get a few washes and a wax that lasts a month or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newmar_wax.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	5748   Click image for larger version

Name:	newmar_wax2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	5749  

Old 09-28-2010, 06:00 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
What a super shine well worth over the 2k.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:34 AM   #13

Very impressive. What polish did you use?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper 05MA View Post
Very impressive. What polish did you use?
Thank you! I had some tree scuffs up top and some swirls. I used Menzerna Super Intensive Polish to remove those, then followed up with Menzerna Nano Polish to remove the haziness from the SIP. Then, applied Zaino.

I got lazy and used a brush instead of my usual hand-washing ritual and introduced light swirls in the darker colors... I'll take care of those over the winter and go back to hand-washing only. :(