Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2020, 06:31 AM   #1

Newmar slide seal replacement

Has anyone replaced the slide seal on their Newmar? (We have 2011 Ventana) The seal is the type with 2 bulbs, a wiper and a spring steel section that clips over the edge of the trim piece around the slide opening. Got the old one out and a replacement from Newmar, but getting it clipped on seems about impossible. Any suggestions appreciated. Is some type of lubricant a good idea? If so what? thanks -- wayne

Newmar part number is: 85582, Vendor Part # - ED50468-T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	274658  
waynerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2020, 07:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
when we had slide seal replaced at the newmar international rally in Syracuse this year the techs opened slide about 10 - 12 inches and used muscle to push spring onto fiberglass edge of slide opening. I did not notice any lubricant. When they get to the top corners they push gasket on best they can then cut back side of gasket to get the 90 degree corner tight. They then apply black silicone on the cut they made on the corner.
Carl 2014 dutchstar
Greenbarn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #3

Had one replaced by mobile tech after I couldn’t do it. He put slide out a few inches and used a flat wooden stick to push clips in. He did leave a few blemishes the slide so be careful to have plenty of padding to avoid that.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:56 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Would you know if this is the same slide seal on my 2016 Ventana?
Did you get it from Newmar or from Uni-Grip?
Price?
Roadwarrior7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #5

slide seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior7 View Post
Price?
I don't know if it is the same. I got it from Newmar, price per foot so measure what you would need and call Newmar parts.

I did it myself and the key was stripping back an inch or so of rubber so the steel clip was exposed and then pressing the steel clip on first and then working around. Used a pry bar and wood strip to protect and change the angle a little.

Tedious but got it done

wayne
waynerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Don't peel back the rubber folds that lie within the steel clips. First, start with an area that gives you enough room to get it started. Spray WD 40 down the center of the new seal and use a plastic prybar to push the seal onto the metal where it belongs. Try to keep it lined up where you are going to push the seal up with the pry bar. Keep working your way until you reach the end. If you run into problems on the top of the slide where there is very little room to push the seal up, get a heavy cloth and a piece of wood that would fit un the gap and pry up a bit to give you room to work, using a plastic wedge to hold the wood up. You might need to do a couple feet at a time to accomplish it. The strength of the seal is dependent on both rubber folds as well as the spring material to be together and pushed on the metal border. It will take you quite some time to complete it, believe me.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Price?
Both the same seal.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:39 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Since it's the same part, I ordered it from Uni. They list a 30 foot and a 150 foot piece but they also sell by the foot at $5.50? each. Of course it's my super slide seal that has failed so I ordered 40 feet.
BTW, my seal failed because the crap Carefree awning cover failed due to poor quality thread. I don't understand why Carefree can't get this right - there are some that have had theirs fail within 3 years.
I am replacing the awning cover fabric with one from Stone Vos that has a 10 year warranty.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Since it's the same part, I ordered it from Uni. They list a 30 foot and a 150 foot piece but they also sell by the foot at $5.50? each. Of course it's my super slide seal that has failed so I ordered 40 feet.
BTW, my seal failed because the crap Carefree awning cover failed due to poor quality thread. I don't understand why Carefree can't get this right - there are some that have had theirs fail within 3 years.
I am replacing the awning cover fabric with one from Stone Vos that has a 10 year warranty.
If you're doing it yourself I highly recommend purchasing these on Amazon:

Lisle 69620 Wedge Assortment Set, 5 Piece, $27.29 and on Prime.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:40 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
So I just finished the seal install yesterday. I took some of the advice here, lubing the start with silicone spray. Once it was started I used an old window crank removal tool that was wrapped in duct tape.
It was slow going taking probably an hour or so for about 40 feet of seal. Yes, 40 feet. After the seal was in place I wiped off the seal tape area and then removed the red tape cover and pressed the sticky stuff onto the coach.
Then I ran a bead of clear silicone sealer on the edge so there is no way water is going to take that seal out again.

Tags
ace, newmar, replace, replacement, seal, slide