RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 11:25 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Post Newmar ~ Slide Seal Replacement

After 21 years the little metal teeth inside the slide seal finally rusted into crumbs. Pulled my slide in to leave for the weekend and right in the middle of the slide about 3 feet of it decided to let go.. Couldn't find any threads or videos specific to How to Replace Newmar seals so I had to figure it out... I thought I'd help the next guy with the experience. I'm sure there's better ways to get this done, but here's what I did today....

I ordered the seal from Newmar directly -same seal they still use. I needed 26 foot, ordered 27 to be safe and they sent a bunch extra. Had 8 foot left over..
Step one was getting the old seal off. Open the slide out about a foot. I took a razor knife and cut the seal strip portion of the rubber seal all the way around and carefully pulled that off. It leaves a lot of the double-sided foam tape goo-residue stuck on the surface. I used a rubber eraser wheel on a cordless drill to remove the residue. Works slow but great as I can't imagine trying to scrap that stuff off with a putty knife... The rubber eraser makes a huge mess of rubber dust as it "erases" the tape residue so I left the old seal in place to keep the mess out of the coach. When done little shop vac'ng to get the dust cleaned up. Then pulled the old seal off. Used 3M Adhesive Remover and a rag to final clean the edge all the way around the slide. Getting the new seal on took a bit of creative tool searching. What I found worked best was a good old Stanley 12 inch Wonder pry bar -Wrapped in duct tape to prevent scratches. Stuff the new seal into the gap and pry bar it into place working with about 3-6 inches at a time.. Stuff the pry bar in deep, push pull the seal in or out to center it on the edge and then lift up on the pry bar to "seat" the seal over the edge. Every foot or so done, I'd go back and double check the seal is fully seated with the prybar -just to be safe. For the 2 corners I used a 12inch 3/8 socket extension. It worked great to stuff the seal fully into the 90 corner. Once it was crimped over the edge fully all the way around. I wiped the inside of the new seal strip and edge down one more time with the Adhesive Remover as the new seal is covered in a white waxy powder and I wanted to make sure the new double sided sticky foam tape on the inside of the seal had a clean surface. Start on one end and start pulling the red plastic off the seal strip and push firmly to stick it down again working with 6 inches or so at at time. I used the approach to NOT stretch the seal before sticking it down. I just stuck it where ever it was naturally laying. The corners on mine have 2 screws shot through the seal strip as an extra measure to hold the corners firm. Don't forget that in the corners you need to cut the "wiper" portion of the seal right in the corner with a razor knife. I did watch a video that suggested to fold the vertical end of the wiper under the top horizontal end of the wiper and use super glue to glue them together.. My old seal was NOT glued. I'm still trying to think that though if I should glue them or not..

All in all, it was a simple but slow going replacement project. Lots of ladder work in the sun.. Took 3+ hours. Hope this one lasts another 21 years !!

Back in Service - Ready for the Next Great Adventure...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200920_143446_resized.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	301730   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200920_142133_resized.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	301731  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200920_171110_resized.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	301732  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2020, 02:36 PM   #2

Thanks for the info. Looks like a good way of doing a slow job. I hope to get 20 years out of mine since I would have to remove the slide topper first.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:37 AM   #3

Great recap. Thanks! Mibe are starting to show a few small issues. I plan on ordering the seals today. I will have to flip the slide toppers back to do the tops.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #4

Ours lasted 4 years before it rusted away. I have an extended service contract, so it was covered by that.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbike199 View Post
Great recap. Thanks! Mibe are starting to show a few small issues. I plan on ordering the seals today. I will have to flip the slide toppers back to do the tops.
Video I watched 2 guys just unscrewed the slide topper and carefully flipped it back on the roof out of the way... looked pretty straight forward.. Biggest thing I'd suggest is make sure you get the rubber eraser for the drill.. I can't imagine/estimate how much time that saved getting the sticky removed from the old seal. Took an hour USING the drill!.. if you don't get it all off and back to a clean surface, the new seal will just leak water in that much sooner and rust out the new seal..
Old 09-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #6

I saw the same video and happen to have a new and a half used 3m eraser wheel. That looks like the trick. Thanks!

Tags
ace, newmar, replace, replacement, seal, slide