Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #1

Newmar Slides - Design - Retraction - Structure & Egress - Mike Mas

Hello IRV2 Forum Members, I just completed and wanted to share my in-depth article on Newmar slides, emergency retraction, and walk-Back Egress. Hopefully, this article will make owners aware of the compromised structural strength of modern coaches as a result of larger and more wall slides. This article covers the lack of wall structure to properly maintain body strength and support the roof over the large empty slide spans, and precautions to avoid damage to slides and mechanics due to un-levelness between axles.

It’s important to note that just because the jacks panel shows the coach level, does not mean the frame and body is not twisted, the rear axle may be at a different angle than the front axle, thereby twisting the frame, slides and body, yet the coach may be perfectly level. New generation motorhomes require the owner to be more visual with respect to where they park their RV.

This article will also discuss an important safety consideration called; “Walk-Back Egress”, which is the unsafe manner that most manufactures have recently imposed on "mature" owners with narrow and dangerous egress space to “safely” walk to the rear of the coach when the slides are in. RVIA and many Manufactures have all but forgotten these important issues. What good is it to have egress in our rear windows in a coach, when there is no egress to safely reach them in the event of an emergency?

If you’re considering any new coach in the future, you’ll be confronted with these same difficult decisions. This article outlines the decisions Linda and I faced when purchasing our New Aire and making the decision on which model to go with. While this piece is New Aire specific, it will apply to most every motorhome other than Prevost type chassis. Hopefully, this article will outline some concerns, to make your choice easier!

Enjoy - Mike Mas

Link To Review:

http://www.rotory.com/coach/slides/
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike, I’ll read your article later as I can’t read it on my iPhone X. Text is too small. Consider making your web articles responsive with some CSS so it’s readable on mobile devices. Just $.02.

P.S. Det cord around the dinette window would work nicely
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Mike, I’ll read your article later as I can’t read it on my iPhone X. Text is too small. Consider making your web articles responsive with some CSS so it’s readable on mobile devices. Just $.02.

P.S. Det cord around the dinette window would work nicely

Thanks Neal I did use fairly large text, but I'll look into it.

Regards - Mike
Old 04-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #4

Have tried turning your iPhone sideways? On my 8 plus in portrait mode it is unreadable but in landscape it’s ok.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Great article Mike, thank you for the time and effort! But I have to tell you, I almost fell off my chair when I saw the photos with the slides closed!!!! WOW!!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #6

Thanks for all the reply's guys!

Drive Safe - Mike
Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #7

Mike the full wall slide has a substantial header beam spanning the opening. Pretty massive compared the the header around the rest of the top edge. Beefier than the headers on the other slides if I remember from factory tours. So shouldn't be a support issue for the roof. Open or closed there is further support from the slide room structure when opened or closed.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #8

Mike,

Another thank you for a great article. You’ve added a couple more things for me check on during FPU.

Gil
BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #9

Mike,

Excellent review. Like you I was concerned about the history of slide malfunctions in these DP's when I first found the NA. No doubt with more penetrations above the floor less rigidity can contribute to more chassis twist contributing to slide failure.

As I researched the New Aire last Summer there were two issues that swung me to New Aire (and the 3343) because I felt the opportunity for slide failure would be less: The Star Foundation coupled with the NA's short wheel base.

The Star Foundation, no doubt was driven by the desire to reduce chassis twist. If you watch the video below you can see the Star Foundation is essentially a chassis exoskeleton. It creates a bridge truss arrangement below the original chassis. The whole Star Foundation appears to be heavy gauge steel which I am sure contributes to the "porky" weight of the NA.

Would love to see the finite element analysis which I am sure was done leading to the Star Foundation. It must have a dramatic impact on the dynamics of chassis twist. While the Star Foundation is being used on other longer diesel pushers, my guess is that the Star Foundation coupled with the short 205" wheel base of NA must render a very stiff chassis structure.

I have looked for any sign of chassis twist in my NA 3343 as I have parked on uneven surfaces. So far I have not seen any. All my slide reveals look just the same to day as they did new. I have never seen any sign of twist in the paint lines.

So while the absence of structure above the floor most definitely can lead to more chassis twist, it has to be considered in the light of all the new structure below the floor to compensate.

I have been watching the NA owners report in on their experience. To date the only slide failure I have seen was the one just reported by Cinergi in his 3343 and the LR slide. Sure would like to see some images to understand what failed.

turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #10

I disagree with your conclusion that the full wall slide will cause structural issues. With computer aided design and finite materials analysis used with the Star foundation, this should be a complete non issue in every aspect of use. These full wall slides are not new and have been used for a long time.
For us the 3341 was a no go for so many reasons not related to the length of a slide. The shower in the hallway always visible from all rooms was not to our taste. The plain walls that separate the shower/bathroom area do not look as tasteful to us as a beautiful cabinet. The 3341 floor space is bowling alley like and looks straight into the bedroom and this is more of a trailer feel. The couch on the 3341 is smaller and does not allow for the optional side opening air bed option. Very important for guest comfort if sleeping over. The resale is a big issue as well, the 3341 is not selling well and will be in less demand. These are the reasons we used to pick between models.
Newaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #11

Mike, great information the retraction access points not being drilled out. I needed to drill out both access points in my living room driver side slide. Aft access point never drilled, forward access point had a hole in the wrong place.

This would have been a big problem on the road without the right tools. You have a stuck slide, the manual screws and go to crank it in only to find out there are no holes in the woodwork.

Here is my forward access point. Small hole is mine, large hole is the one Newmar drilled. Not even close. Come on Newmar.

All AireHeads check your access points. One more thing. Everyone needs to carry two 1 1/8" sockets and two 1/2" ratchets with 9" extensions to be ready to manually bring in the HWH hydraulic slides.

turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #12

I had several problems with the drivers side slide on my ‘17 Newmar Baystar Sport. Ended up replacing the digital controller-15 minute job. That fixed it! I noticed that the new controller had an upgrade number. I still love my Newmar!
BigUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Mike, great information the retraction access points not being drilled out. I needed to drill out both access points in my living room driver side slide. Aft access point never drilled, forward access point had a hole in the wrong place.

This would have been a big problem on the road without the right tools. You have a stuck slide, the manual screws and go to crank it in only to find out there are no holes in the woodwork.

Here is my forward access point. Small hole is mine, large hole is the one Newmar drilled. Not even close. Come on Newmar.

All AireHeads check your access points. One more thing. Everyone needs to carry two 1 1/8" sockets and two 1/2" ratchets with 9" extensions to be ready to manually bring in the HWH hydraulic slides.

Thanks for the reply Turbo and the drill images. Both my rears were not done and like yours my front Pass side was drilled incorrectly. Got my N.A. on the road in Tn now but when I get back, I’ll I’ll shoot some images of the magnetic snap on wood trim pieces to cover the holes for exposed drilling’s. Thanks for mentioning the sockets while a vise grip will work, the ratchets would sure help make things a bit easier.

Mike
Old 04-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #14

Great job Mike! Very informative. Steve

Tags
newmar, slide