RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 06:01 AM   #1

Newmar tour soon!!!

Nancy and I will be doing the Newmar factory tour on June 16th. We are very excited about this. Less than 2 years away from owning our first motorhome. We will be flying into Chicago on the 15th and driving down. For those of you that are familiar with the area please recommend places to visit or see while there. Will be there till Sunday. We plan on taking both the morning and afternoon noon tours to be sure we don't miss anything. If you would like us to ask anything while there just let me know. Can't wait.

Tool Man

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Snap-On Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 06:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
X2. We too will be flying into Chicago and driving down to take both tours July 14th. We too are out a year or to from purchasing.

JohnRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:58 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
If you have time, consider visits to Notre Dame (on your way through South Bend) and the RV Museum in Elkhart.

We've just done both as we are here to take delivery of our new Dutch Star on Monday, June 6.
2016 Lincoln MKX, SMI Air Force One, Blue Ox
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #4

Snap-on-Man If you like classic cars then you might take a look at going to the Auburn, Cord and Duesenburg museum located in Auburn IN. It is less than 2 hours east of Nappanee. Rt 6 to I-69 S. Very much worth while. The museum is located in the old Auburn factory.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Snap-On Man,
To eat try:
Dutch Kitchen – Amish and Mennonite homestyle cooking. We accomodate large groups and are handicap accessible for breakfast or lunch. Around the corner from Newmar.
Essenhaus Amish Style Inn, Conference Center & Restaurant - Middlebury, IN for dinner (for desert, pie, pie and more pie)

There is a history of Nappanee on Route 6 toward downtown Nappanee. It west of the traffic light across the street from the Chase bank.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Kirk View Post
If you have time, consider visits to Notre Dame (on your way through South Bend) and the RV Museum in Elkhart.

We've just done both as we are here to take delivery of our new Dutch Star on Monday, June 6.
Every time I see someone getting a new coach I get new coach envy

How come there is no "smiley" icon for that?
(maybe the forum would be flooded????)

Congrats on the new coach

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #7

As long as Gary brought up food and restaurants. .......there is a really good Mexican restaurant as well as Greek downtown. And when you think you can't eat another bite head to Rocket Science Ice Cream. You'll change your mind
srrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #8

If you have the opportunity, try and go to the Monday afternoon tour. A guy that is a trainer heads this tour. Only on Monday afternoons. He explains the Newmar construction and the differences better that we have ever seen. Well worth the Monday afternoon tour. Sold me 100% on Newmar.
jmon129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:07 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
Every time I see someone getting a new coach I get new coach envy

How come there is no "smiley" icon for that?

(maybe the forum would be flooded????)

Congrats on the new coach

Chris

Thanks Chris!
2016 Lincoln MKX, SMI Air Force One, Blue Ox
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #10

We will be doing the tours on a Thursday. Also looking forward to spending some time in the amish country. Still looking for places to eat and stay. Thanks for all of your input.

Tool Man

Old 06-11-2016, 05:38 AM   #11

We will be doing our tour at Newmar this Thursday (June 16th.). If they will allow me I will take pictures of anyone's Mh if you like. Just let me know what I'm looking for. We will be doing both tours that day.

Tool Man

Old 06-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #12

Congratulations on embarking on this journey! We started ours about 3 years ago and we are taking factory delivery in 8 days, 22 hours and 46 minutes (not that I'm counting or anything).

When I was in Nappanee in early May watching our coach being assembled I did a side trip to Goshen to the Defries Calendar Garden. If you enjoy public gardens it's very worthwhile.

If you have the time, I would recommend doing more than one tour. You'll get a better sense of the overall speed and efficiency of assembly of these marvelous machines. They typically split the tour duties and each guide a brings little different style and content. X2 on the Monday PM tour when John Monterusso (might) lead the tour.

If you get to the tour office early you can also browse the interior selections for floor tile, back splash, countertop, and fabric choices; as well as exterior colors. It's a good opportunity to ask questions about the process of 'customizing' your coach with specials, and timeline considerations of the overall ordering process (if that's what you're thinking of doing).

As far as accommodations, many stay at Amish Acres which is walking distance to Newmar (this time of year). In May I stayed at the Olde Buffalo Inn Bed and Breakfast is a former Amish farm house, circa 1840, renovated and converted into a 7000 square foot B & B. The provided breakfast was simply amazing and the owners are fabulous people.

Oh yeah, if you like ice cream check out Rocket Science Ice Cream Parlor. Co-located with Rocket Science Ice Cream in Coppes Commons, 401 E. Market St. is a great deli, grocery store and other interesting shops. Or for doughnuts (and other treats) go to Rise 'n Roll Bakery. For your morning caffeine buzz check out Coffee Cravings.

Of course you can also consult the google oracle and search for 'things to do in nappanee indiana', who knows what else you'll find!

Best of luck!
NWLanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-On Man View Post
Nancy and I will be doing the Newmar factory tour on June 16th. We are very excited about this. Less than 2 years away from owning our first motorhome. We will be flying into Chicago on the 15th and driving down. For those of you that are familiar with the area please recommend places to visit or see while there. Will be there till Sunday. We plan on taking both the morning and afternoon noon tours to be sure we don't miss anything. If you would like us to ask anything while there just let me know. Can't wait.

Tool Man

Take lot's of PICTURES - if possible set up a tour of the Entegra Plant also - and any other you might have time for or that might have time for you.

For food ask the people that do the tour - we have almost always been lucky with the local recommendations, be specific in your request (if you don't like fried then say so and the recommendation is usually spot on).

IMHO - and I have been to most of the shops in the area - seeing how the others do it is also good to know.

when we had our Coach built at TS 12 years ago Travel Supreme allowed you to custom design the Coach, where-as Newmar not so much.

Enjoy the trip, and like I said take Lot's of PICTURES and ask lot's of questions.

BOL,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #14

We went on that tour late last year with our 11 year old granddaughter. SHE LOVED IT! She still has a King Aire brochure in her bedroom. She watched them move a Dutch Star Coach with one finger as it slid down the assembly line on a cushion of air. Watch for it! The two guys were showing off and one pushed a bit harder than the other and the coach started to go catawampus, then he ran around to the other side acting like a clown and pushed it back into line. Then she watch them "fly" heave items into the center area for instillation, and one woman using a hoist moving the entire rear cap assembly and moved it into position by herself. Mackenzie must have asked me a hundred questions about how air can lift something that heavy, and how did that woman move that all by herself etc etc.

Now she wants her Grandpa to sell his Discovery and buy a new King Aire! She even offered what money she had saved up for a rainy day, as she explained it.

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar