Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakat View Post
Yes, but the must-have list evolved out of a learning process that spanned 9 months. At the beginning the tag axle wasn't on the list, but after test driving the Newmar in adverse conditions, then it was immediately added onto the list. After that point, Newmar was my only option.

Newmar also makes 41 and longer w/tag. They don't drive or park different from a 40.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #16

For us, the deciding vote came down to customizing.

I flat out refused to spend this amount of money on something I would need to take somewhere to make into what I wanted.

I chose to start with the floor plan we wanted, not remodel a brand new coach.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
We started our journey wanting to buy an Entegra.....
After inspecting all models at the 2014 Tampa show, we happened upon the Newmar exhibit.
This started my hard research on this forum and others.
We ordered a DutchStar 4018 last November.
Do your own research.
Drive both.
Best of luck.
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrose44 View Post
We started our journey wanting to buy an Entegra.....
After inspecting all models at the 2014 Tampa show, we happened upon the Newmar exhibit.
This started my hard research on this forum and others.
We ordered a DutchStar 4018 last November.
Do your own research.
Drive both.
Best of luck.

You are wise, sir!
Old 10-07-2015, 06:21 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Yep...we are a talkative bunch over on the Entegra forum; also a lot of first time buyers. Interestingly, about 60-70% of the threads on the front page there are questions, informational, or other non-problem threads (just like the Newmar forum).

I would say, if we were a more mature coach line and owners (and forum for that matter), we would (and will) have a thread similar to the Newmar forum with hints and helps to answer new owner question. That would result in a lot fewer threads with new owners asking questions. That's a congrats to the developers of that thread on this forum

Met a former Newmar regional sales manager that retired recently. He bought Entegra. Won't get into why, because that results in us versus them that isn't useful. Both make good coaches. Newmar gives you more choices; Entegra gives you a better price for what is standard versus options and two year warrantee. Beyond that, check them both out. Newmar loyalists are similar to Entegra loyalists. And have fun doing so. And while you are looking at those hundreds of Entegra threads discussing problems, read the two or three (sarcasm intended) of those owners who really like their new coach. Then read the two or three threads where new Newmar owners have had a problem, among the hundreds of customer satisfied threads. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC51D View Post
Some of you must have looked at Entegra's and then purchase the Newmar product why? and in the 600hp category why the Newmar of Entegra since they both have the same running gear.
We've been shopping and are now soliciting bids for a possible London Aire purchase.

Entegra makes a great coach but can't match the floor plan, the flat no carpet slides or the level of customization possible with the Newmar, not to mention the "Comfort drive" or the newly added steering tags.

Additionally, I'm not particularly fond of the new front and rear cap styling of the new Entegras, but that is more of a subjective thing and if our other criteria could be met by Entegra it wouldn't keep me from at least looking at them.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
We've been shopping and are now soliciting bids for a possible London Aire purchase.

Entegra makes a great coach but can't match the floor plan, the flat no carpet slides or the level of customization possible with the Newmar, not to mention the "Comfort drive" or the newly added steering tags.

Additionally, I'm not particularly fond of the new front and rear cap styling of the new Entegras, but that is more of a subjective thing and if our other criteria could be met by Entegra it wouldn't keep me from at least looking at them.
I would agree entegra went the wrong way with those caps. I'm now thinking London Air or Essex instead of Cornerstone. The price points have really become much closer when you start getting into details of these coaches. I also like the ability of some customization although Newmars latest floor plans look pretty good.
TC51D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
I went from a DSDP to an Entegra Aspire to an Entegra Cornerstone. DSDP gave me good service, but the two year warranty, customer service and management personnel, and (at least in my perception) better bang for the buck moved me. I am now considering my third last Entegra in '17. I would be curious to see the responses if the OP put the OP on the Entegra forum.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #23

Newmar vs Entegra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcosdad View Post
I went from a DSDP to an Entegra Aspire to an Entegra Cornerstone. DSDP gave me good service, but the two year warranty, customer service and management personnel, and (at least in my perception) better bang for the buck moved me. I am now considering my third last Entegra in '17. I would be curious to see the responses if the OP put the OP on the Entegra forum.
Great idea!
Why not link this thread over there? The discussions on both sides would be interesting!
My rig is 7 this month. It is not trouble free, but it has none of the current builder/supplier issues like side and clearance markers, shade motors, slides, AH motors, door leaks, window leaks, etc. RVs have never been perfect, but build and supplier issues seem to be higher in number with RV owners often handling the fixes due to the builder not "going the mile". In the current RV boom, CS is slipping on all fronts.
BTW, longer warranties are not free; it's in the price!
I could not stand the depreciation hit in so many new rigs over a short timeframe. Bless your heart!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #24

I looked seriously at the Londonaire prior to buying a 2016 Cornerstone. I know they built the Londonaire to compete with the Cornerstone and it may in a few years, but it's not there at present.
Freightliner has improved their chassis over the years, but I had a bad experience with them and Winnebago a few years so they will have to show me some improvement in cs before I'd buy one.
Secondly and most important to me is by the time you option everything in the Londonaire that the Cornerstone comes standard with the Londonaire is $50,000 higher and the quality inside is pretty cheap.
Don't get me wrong there were a few things we liked, but in our opinion it doesn't hold a Candle to the Cornerstone.
Of course it's your money and your decision.
I've also heard some bad press on Newmar cs lately.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
I looked seriously at the Londonaire prior to buying a 2016 Cornerstone. I know they built the Londonaire to compete with the Cornerstone and it may in a few years, but it's not there at present.
Freightliner has improved their chassis over the years, but I had a bad experience with them and Winnebago a few years so they will have to show me some improvement in cs before I'd buy one.
Secondly and most important to me is by the time you option everything in the Londonaire that the Cornerstone comes standard with the Londonaire is $50,000 higher and the quality inside is pretty cheap.
Don't get me wrong there were a few things we liked, but in our opinion it doesn't hold a Candle to the Cornerstone.

As an SOB driver, I have zero brand loyalty to either Newmar or Entegra. Two things:
1. I watch the Entegra as I do the Newmar forums and I see issue after issue with the Spartan chassis. It's very hard to reconcile that with your negative feelings toward Freightliner.
2. To call out the Londonaire as having a "pretty cheap" interior quality identifies you as a Entegra partisan. Nothing wrong with having a personal preference but to pass that off as "cheap" is somewhat disingenuous.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I kinda hate these topics. LOL

It is the great question of which is "better" and full of subjective opinions without objective reasoning. I'm not saying we can't have subjective/non-tangable rationale but too often that is more from the individual's point of view.

Clearly there are comparisons that shouldn't even be made. Comparing a luxury DP to a gasser isn't even fair because they appeal to a very divergent group of folks. Comparing luxury to luxury is fair for the most part but then tends to get more subjective.

In the end, these kinds of topic degenerate into commentary that seems more emotional than analytical. Besides, most brand owners will prop up their brand simply because we tend no to say we didn't do the best for ourselves.

All that being said...In the end it is the total package that makes each of us happy that matters. If lots of mods is your choice, Newmar. If bang for the buck is important, I tend to think EC leads in that category. But great mods won't have as much sway to a person that focuses on bang for the buck and visa versa.

For *ME* I focus on the Newmar line for a few reasons.

1. Larger selection of used coach out there.
2. More floor plan choices and there are a couple that we particularly like. EC doesn't offer a floor plan that just jumps out and pleases us.
3. And, yes, a touch of brand loyalty.

Like I said...subjective reasons.

Objectively, at least I think so...

1. I prefer EC on Spartan because we like Spartan but objectively they are maintaining a taller basement compared to the FL chassis in the DSDPs.
2. Pre-2016 DSDPs are my preference because in 2016 they just got HEAVY! HOWEVER...I do not know how EC stacks up in that area so I don't have a clear Newmar vs EC "winner" to proclaim but if I was looking at ECs I would find that out.

Obviously, there are other factors to toss into it but these were a few that just popped into my mind.

Happy Hunting!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #27

I am speaking from the perspective of a future rv owner, who has never owned an rv of any kind. My plan is to purchase a large DP sometime in the future as our "retirement" vehicle.
I look upon Entegra and Newmar as "sister" companies. For the market I am looking at they both provide comparable products, have similarities in design, construction, and support. Heck, even their employees come from the same geographic location. There are far more traits that these two companies share than ones that differentiate them.
I read both forums frequently, and both products have their hot-button issues. You see very few shade problems reported on the Newmar forum, but conversely you have few slide problems reported in the Entegra forum. Both sides will have their cheerleaders and apologists.
I will state that at this time my personal preference is toward Entegra. However, I do plan on purchasing used so neither the Entegra warranty nor the Newmar customization have any effect in this opinion. I will also state that I would be just as happy with Newmar if what is available at the time of the future purchase fit my desires and budget.
And to those that state that one Brand is better than the other based on a single experience with the brand I say, in the nicest way - you're full of it. :-D
ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
After negotiation the LA is about 15k cheaper than than a cornerstone with 31% off the cornerstone
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar