Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmiller32 View Post
Just had our E10 replaced under the recall.
I guess I will file a claim then. Maybe the E10 is sold OEM to RV manufacturers so isn't technically a retail product and doesn't appear on some lists.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe I found it under the Canadian recall. Seems like the RV manufacturers all purchased a bulk batch of them.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I guess I will file a claim then. Maybe the E10 is sold OEM to RV manufacturers so isn't technically a retail product and doesn't appear on some lists.
Not only that, but it's less about the model number and more about the design, which is why I posted that picture for you. If it has the vertically orientated pull tab, or it's a push button model, it's recalled.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkscp View Post
For those of us who are not best in understanding the electrical side of things, can someone explain what exactly to look for and does all power need to be off to check? Pictures would be great but not expected. Thanks for your help.
Chuck
You need to read all posts and links within them this post will explain what to look for with the transfer switch and with the power disconnected.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:17 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The OP started with a transfer switch recall and now we have other recalls involved that should have been a thread of its own for discussion, if you want to discuss fire extinguishers try starting a new thread, will be less confusing for new members.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by We_B_Tripn View Post
Shouldn’t this be annual maintenance anyway since connections can loose with all the vibrations while in motion?
Yes. Loose connections are the #1 cause of transfer switch failures.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:01 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
My fire extinguisher is model E10, which is not on the recall list, so I guess not every Newmar model is affected.

The fire extinguisher recall list was expanded. E10 is on the recall list.

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall...65014r-eng.php
Old 01-16-2018, 05:29 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkscp View Post
For those of us who are not best in understanding the electrical side of things, can someone explain what exactly to look for and does all power need to be off to check? Pictures would be great but not expected. Thanks for your help.
Chuck
It's not a picture thing. The issue is that when working with stranded wire and a screwed down clamp the bundle cold flows to conform to the pressure applied. In essence the installer puts the wire in the clamp terminal and tightens it to specification. Several days later the same terminal is loose and needs to be tightened again. Maintenance is to check tightness with the appropriate tool. The power needs to be off unless one uses insulated tools. The idea is as tight as is reasonable without breaking things.

Failure occurs with the high current and low resistance causing some heat buildup in the connection. That allows the wire strand bundle to deform and loosen a bit more causing slightly higher resistance thus more heat. We are talking fractions of an ohm and high currents typical of service entrances, transfer switches, inverter connections, battery cables, etc. Power generated is the current squared times the resistance. Power companies look for this kind of problem with IR cameras.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:01 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not to bemoan the carping about recalls but this was just posted on the "Electric Wall Slide Outs" Forum. I found it interesting and it should remind us that no matter who builds it and humans are involved there is the chance for something to go way wrong and it will.

"My cynicism comes from a background in Aviation Maintenance, Aviation Safety and Accident Investigation, as well as flying helicopters for 20+ years. Especially the helicopters, which were constantly trying to kill me. The last major incident consisted of two bolts stripping out and departing the aircraft during start up prior to a 2 hour flight. We didn't realize it until we shut down, and the rotor blades hit the fuselage, meshed with each other, almost killed the Flight Engineer, and caused a little over 14 mil in damages. . . The two bolts in question had been installed by Boeing years prior, but unfortunately were the incorrect length, being about 1/4" too short . . . pulled the threads right out of the aluminum block they were fastened to. I figured I got my monies worth out of the Army on that one!"
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
This is what a bad transfer switch will do to the wires. The wires were all tight. After inspecting the transfer switch the contacts inside were determined to be the fault. So insure that the wires are tight and also monitor your voltage and amp draw.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0204.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	188964

Stay Safe
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
This is what a bad transfer switch will do to the wires. The wires were all tight. After inspecting the transfer switch the contacts inside were determined to be the fault. So insure that the wires are tight and also monitor your voltage and amp draw.
Attachment 188964

Stay Safe
JP
Frickin scary! Hope it's not hard to crack that box open to inspect. Tight space in the VTDP. I just installed my Hughes Autoformer in there so pulling that out and getting to this box ASAP.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #40

I just completed my inspection on a 2018 New Aire. Only takes less than an hour. Out of the 22 screw terminals in the box I found 4 screws under torqued and one screw on L2 of the house supply cable loose. It appeared only gravity was holding the lead into the screw terminal as the lead was inserted from above into the terminal.

Not good! Folks take this recall seriously.

turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #41

What did you torque the screws to and how did you know? I’m only familiar with torque wrench’s not screw drivers.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
What did you torque the screws to and how did you know? I’m only familiar with torque wrench’s not screw drivers.
Documentation says 40-45 in lbs. No way to get a torque wrench into that area in an NA. Cable reel in the way. But I know what 40-45 in lbs feels like. Bottom line I tightened everything up. Some screws were tight could not be moved further. The L2 lead was the surprise. That one was trouble just waiting to happen. No sign of any heating but this is a new coach with little use of L2 so far.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, recall, switch, wiring