Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #43

While you are at it you might want to check the slip rings on the cable reel. This was an issue a couple of year ago.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #44

Add insult to injury, the switch in mounted in a plastic box. Time to add another networked smoke alarm.
My last coach had the switch under the master bed. It, too, was plastic. When the conductors melted and the box caught on fire, we were in the coach. Not too difficult to notice we had an issue. Replaced with one in a metal box. Less worries, more fun.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #45

Has anyone mentioned why they were left loose? Disgruntled employee?

I can see it happening to an occasional coach, but to have this many sounds almost deliberate.

Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Has anyone mentioned why they were left loose? Disgruntled employee?

I can see it happening to an occasional coach, but to have this many sounds almost deliberate.
This is just poor quality control. Important connections like these should have a torque mark paint on each nut/screw.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #47

Turbo is your box plastic or metal

Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:26 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Turbo is your box plastic or metal

Mike
Plastic. Don't see this as a big deal. If your cables are burning it will not make much difference what kind of box they are housed in.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Newmar will recall 2016-2018 coaches for Automatic Xfer Switch wiring issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
This is just poor quality control. Important connections like these should have a torque mark paint on each nut/screw.

Just looked at my 2018 DS and found that the screws were tight and marked with a thick reddish brown paint. Build date 11/10/2017
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #50

Quote:
Plastic. Don't see this as a big deal. If your cables are burning it will not make much difference what kind of box they are housed in.

Here’s what happened on my old transfer switch. The neutral was loose and heated up. The buss bar then proceeded to melt the plastic case, then the buss bar contacted the circuit board with caused a fire that further melted the box. Could have been worse.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Just looked at my 2018 DS and found that the screws were tight and marked with a thick reddish brown paint. Build date 11/10/2017
Interesting. Mine was built in September 2017 so it would seem they started to pay attention to this issue at some point after mine was built with some extra QC.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:23 AM   #52

It's not really a QC issue unless one expects the builder to set the RV aside for a week then go back and check the heavy duty connections. The problem is that the installer torques the terminal down properly but the wire underneath deforms as the strands come to a new equilibrium of forces. The only questionable example was the one loose enough to take a few turns.

It is a big enough deal that one could expect a good dealer to have a tech go through the electrical that way but that takes shop time thus money. I don't wish to go down the road of what happens when one gets the best price other than to say that the savings come from somewhere.

The relay contact probably failed from switching high current. That is typical damage from switching under load. Industry often has to do it so the higher grade contactors have replaceable contacts and should be check on a routine schedule. It's why a lot of folks try to remove as much load as is reasonable before starting generators or plugging in the RV. Yes, the contacts are rated to do the job. Yes, it limits their life expectancy, yes, bad contacts happen. The last one in particular as good contact alloys are very expensive in today's metal market.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Interesting. Mine was built in September 2017 so it would seem they started to pay attention to this issue at some point after mine was built with some extra QC.

It will be interesting to see if I get a recall notification
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
To add to the ATS subject you can not know when the loose wires will happen in your TS, your travels and times for vibration of parts may vary year to year and the stranded wires like in the shore power cord will flatten from screw pressure and become loose from the road vibrations.
That's why a check list with this item and others at least once a year will keep things corrected.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #55

Regarding the fire extinguisher part of this discussion: When I first found out about the Kidde recall a month or so ago, I went to their website and the model E10 that my 2016 DS was equipped with did not appear to be included in the recall. After reading the posts above I contacted Kidde at their recall phone number, 855-271-0773, and was told that the model E10 is definitely included in the recall.. I asked what the determining physical characteristics of the recalled models were and was told it was models that had a plastic handle or a push button. I was told that the orientation of the red plastic pin (such as vertical) was not a determining factor. I was told that if it has a metal handle it is not recalled.

Keith
RetireeKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #56

I need to update my post higher in this thread. There was a discussion about the need to use torque paint for important connections. One poster with a December 2017 coach delivery reported there was torque paint on his connectors. I responded there was none on my coach built in September 2017.

I took a high resolution image of my connections just after I re-torqued all of the screws. After the comment about torque paint I went back to the image I took and zoomed in on the connectors. I discovered there were small dabs of brown torque paint at the bottom of the connector pairs (yellow arrows).

The loose connector in my panel was the black L2 lead (green arrow). This image was taken after I tightened up the connector but when I first discovered the loose connector there were 3 threads visible on the screw which was just finger tight.

Valuable lesson here. Just because there is torque paint do not assume the connections are properly torqued. In the aviation world every important connector gets a generous, clearly visible dab of torque paint when the torque is confirmed. It would appear Newmar's practice to leave a small dab of torque paint on each assembly versus each connector but in my coach they missed one.

Tags
newmar, recall, switch, wiring