Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2021, 09:57 PM   #1

Wink Newmar winter camping anyone?

I know it is July but I will be ordering a 2022 Bay Star 3401 shortly in August. (thinking Thanksgiving factory pick-up). Although I have several options one of them is to set up a "winter" driveway spot at a friends up in Vermont or NH where it gets cold (5 degrees) and has plenty of snow (feet).

The set up will include a 100pd propane tank, 50amp service and water. (leave the black tank issue aside for now).

So my questions and your requested knowledge, experience and thoughts on the matter are:

1. Given it will be a new coach what issue(s) will I face with "off-gassing", how how long does it last and the best ways to assist the process, etc.

2. I will have to run the furnace to heat the bays (wet and batteries) and to shower and cook all of which will cause humidity issues (heard to add a second vent in middle of roof to make sure there is sufficient air circulation to avoid any potential moisture/mold issues). What other options to add heat and keep the coach warm inside?

3. Will do the skirt (including the slides) and window preparations. Is there anything else?

4. Will have all the internet, tv and cell phone issues covered am I missing anything else?

5. Will have the RV ref and heard there is a winter kit you can get for it. Anyone know anything about that?

6. What else am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2021, 02:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had a 2019 CS 3719. Did factory pick up in early March in Indiana, temps into teens. Furnace kept coach warm, but used propane at a good rate. Larger tank is the way to go. WH did fine on electric, be we didn't take long showers. Did Christmas last year in NC mountains same temps. Propane management was biggest issue.

We added supplemental heating to bays powered off pedestal away from coach breakers and GFI's. We had tried a electric heater in the coach prior and had power issues. 1500 watts put load on coach circuits.

I would look at remote temp monitors to ensure you are fully aware of impacts below.

We added a Auto Gen Start, mostly for protecting dogs in summer but having back up power in extreme cold wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Didn't notice off gassing in two years of ownership, wasn't an issue for us.

best of luck.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:10 AM   #3

If you are going to be in Vermont all winter, you will need to able to keep you roof vents clear of snow without actually getting on the roof.

Also, you will need a way to reduce the snow load without damaging the roof, especially in late winter/spring, as a thaw or rain will result in A LOT of weight on the roof, slides and slide toppers.

If the factory still offers optional heat blankets for the tanks, I would give that option serious consideration.

The outdoor water connection needs heat and insulation, but I'm sure you're aware of that.

Be sure to have an "emergency" bottle of propane! LOL!
Good luck! -Paul
Old 07-13-2021, 05:14 PM   #4

So far all great things to consider thanks!

The off gassing for me was a major concern but may not be an real issue it seems.

Keeping the roof vents clear (never thought of that) without getting on the roof though that must be some sort of trick perhaps a ladder but is something to add to my growing list.

Will have the temp in the bays, outside and in the coach monitored for sure. Glad to hear the furnace does its job and will be getting a outside large propane tank. Not sure why a 1500w electric heater was an issue unless it is on the sam3e circuit when using the micro which I don't use often?

At pick-up will be getting 1000w plus solar on the roof at a near by place, 4 battle born heated batteries and a magnum hybrid inverter/charger, etc. Seems I will have to figure a way of getting on the roof somehow anyway

Any other suggestions, things to consider or do in winter would be greatly appreciated

Daniel
Old 07-13-2021, 06:36 PM   #5

We use a 1500 watt floor heater inside the coach all the time in winter camping, as well a 200 watt heaters in the wet bay.

Last year the biggest problem we had camping at a snow ski area was getting the front door open! The snow built up against the door and we couldn't get it to budge! Had to use a hair dryer, plus the 1500 watt floor heater pointing at the door to melt enough white stuff to get the door moving.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
We use a 1500 watt floor heater inside the coach all the time in winter camping, as well a 200 watt heaters in the wet bay.

Last year the biggest problem we had camping at a snow ski area was getting the front door open! The snow built up against the door and we couldn't get it to budge! Had to use a hair dryer, plus the 1500 watt floor heater pointing at the door to melt enough white stuff to get the door moving.
Would have never thought of that either but nothing some plywood and 4x4s can't handle placed in front of the door so it opens...there is no way I am going out that "tiny" escape window in the bedroom...I asked for the rear window to be the egress window which for some reason was approved as a special in the 2019 model I was going to get (then life got in the way) but now was denied as a special in the 2022 model...

Thank you all for these wonderful tips and experiences you had camping in the winter...keep them coming I am making a list

Daniel
Old 07-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #7

Consider placing some small heaters in your tank bays. I picked up a pair of small, inexpensive ceramic heaters from Amazon and they did a remarkable job during Texas' Snowmageddon.
ROUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Re plug in supplemental heating. It was our first night with the coach, looking back I believe we just selected the wrong receptacle for the load we would need.

It does remind me of a good lesson though, we tripped the inverter. I had a rough idea of the location and the reset procedure. I was really motivated since it was cold as heck and middle of the night. when we picked up this coach, I located critical devices in the daylight of a nice day to help expedite interventions in the future with less drama and urgency. Just sayin
Old 07-14-2021, 05:05 AM   #9

Not sure you would have a power issue with one or more 1500 watt heaters with 50 amp service. Worst case put them on low if you need to run some other high current item. Get a heated water hose, better yet consider only hooking up to water to fill your FW tank and then run off the pump. Look into a dehumidifier to help with moister buildup.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:30 AM   #10

A 1500 watt portable heater will draw around 13+- amps (1500watts/120volts) Even if you have a 50 amp coach, you could trip a 15 or even a 20 amp circuit depending on what else is on that peculiar circuit. Just be careful and know what else is connected. We use Vornado floor heater since it is very safe, it has a cool outer surface, distributes the air evenly, and best of all it is sooooooo quiet! I use it instead of the roof heat pumps.

BTW, I second the dehumidifier suggestion. You will be surprised at how much moisture it will remove from the air! We have camped at temperatures as low as -5 degrees.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:54 PM   #11

If I elect this option going forward it would make sense to also install a 20amp socket next to the 50amp. Wonder if I can get add as a special another circuit in the panel (15 or 20amp) for such things as using a heater(s) (2 outlets in coach) and 2 outside in the bays?

Did some research on the snow outside the door issue when it snows and found these "heat tracks" which have mixed but mostly decent reviews. The 2 x 5 or 6 mat might do the rick outside the door with some kind of skirt on each side?

Lots to think about created a "winter RV" list on Amazon and in a folder so all these issues can be resolved.

Thanks so much for all of your experiences, knowledge and help in this regard Keep it coming!

Daniel
Old 07-17-2021, 08:58 PM   #12

I used to do a fair amount of winter camping. I put some faced fiberglass bat insulation at each of the door openings in the bays to help keep heat in. I think those openings are one of the weak links as far as insulation goes. As others have mentioned, I used to keep a small ceramic heater in the bay area near the tanks. Never had a freeze up issue in temps down to single digits. I never used a hose...filled the tank and ran off the pump. Moisture will be something to combat and good ideas like ventilation and a dehumidifier are smart options. I assume you will have dual pane windows, but the windshield is huge and a focus point for condensation inside.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:55 AM   #13

Great Idea for the bays thanks. It does have heated tanks strips but it does get really cold in Vermont!

Will have the double pane windows and thanks for the windshield watch...

Anyone have any idea what to do about putting something on top of slides (a full wall and bedroom) to protect the slide toppers when the 2 feet of snow happens over nigh?

Daniel
Old 07-18-2021, 02:37 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Great Idea for the bays thanks. It does have heated tanks strips but it does get really cold in Vermont!

Will have the double pane windows and thanks for the windshield watch...

Anyone have any idea what to do about putting something on top of slides (a full wall and bedroom) to protect the slide toppers when the 2 feet of snow happens over nigh?
I believe I would pull in slides to prevent issues when a forecast heavy snow is predicted. Might be a pain, but then again so is trying to sweep heavy snow off the topper. With all the issues folks have with slides, I wouldn't want to add snow load to equation.

Just sayin

Tags
camping, newmar, winter