Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

Next question on new DS Newmars

Has anyone ordered the Trip Tec on their Newmar? I'm told it is available even though it doesn't show on the order list. If you have it does it show in the rear camera monitor like it does on my 2004 Winnebago? And what is the cost? This was another question the salesman wasn't able to answer.
Does everyone take the dash radio with navigation system. Was just wondering if it worth the $1,000 price tag. I have a hand held GPS and probably only use it a couple times a year, and even then I'm not sure just how far to trust it.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Trip Tec (now listed in the options as Trip Travel Information) is available on the Mountain Aire and above as an option and the information is displayed on the rear camera monitor. Cost is listed at $1,266. Not sure if you can install it on a DSDP as a special but I'm sure someone else can verify if they have.

I ordered the GPS but not sure how often I will use it. I have a stand alone Garmin unit that doesn't work well (locks up routinely) so I'm hoping the in dash unit is better. Figured what's another $1,000 at this point.

Easier to get it installed initially than to have to add it later!
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
The Trip Tec (now listed in the options as Trip Travel Information) is available on the Mountain Aire and above as an option and the information is displayed on the rear camera monitor. Cost is listed at $1,266. Not sure if you can install it on a DSDP as a special but I'm sure someone else can verify if they have.

I ordered the GPS but not sure how often I will use it. I have a stand alone Garmin unit that doesn't work well (locks up routinely) so I'm hoping the in dash unit is better. Figured what's another $1,000 at this point.

Easier to get it installed initially than to have to add it later!
Thanks Scott, the cost is close to what I paid on my Itasca back in 2004. I'm hoping this can be added to the DS since the salesman said he could special order two recliners in place of one of the sofas the standard floor plan has but didn't come up with a price yet.
My Garmin unit seems to work just fine, when it's not trying to send me down a dead-end street or through a neighborhood instead of around the Interstate.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #4

Wagonmaster you might want to look at the vmSpec system from silverleaf. Presents much more information than the triptek but does require a pc/tablet for display
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:04 PM   #5

If you are ordering a coach you should have been given an order sheet listing all available options and on the back a diagram of the furniture options available for the floor plan of your choice. The double lounge chairs w/ sofa door side& lamp stand is option #5K643 and lists for $1460. That is for a DS4369. I'm unsure about pricing and availability for other floor plans. Also the price sheet we ordered from is dated 9/2/14. Some prices change through out the model year.
We did order the in dash Nav. There is a removable chip that can be updated although I don't know what's involved in that process. Also I'm going to have enough other electronics ie. TPMS, cell signal booster stuck on the dash and don't want another.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Has anyone ordered the Trip Tec on their Newmar? I'm told it is available even though it doesn't show on the order list. If you have it does it show in the rear camera monitor like it does on my 2004 Winnebago? And what is the cost? This was another question the salesman wasn't able to answer.
Does everyone take the dash radio with navigation system. Was just wondering if it worth the $1,000 price tag. I have a hand held GPS and probably only use it a couple times a year, and even then I'm not sure just how far to trust it.
After having two factory installed navigation systems that were less than satisfactory ....I use my Ipad or IPhone navigation.
Haven't tried Garmin in ten years so can't speak to it .
Very happy with the Apple.
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #7

I use a Garmin DEZL which I am very happy with, in the toad we have a factory system with XM traffic but I must say the system that impressed me the most is the open source product "Waze" unfortunately it does not have truck or RV routing but the other features are amazing. So good that I looking at making a bracket that will allow a small tablet to mount to the steering wheel
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar