Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 09:03 PM   #1

No CS 3710 Residential Fridge?

We’ve been researching the 2017 Canyon Star 3710 as a possible future coach upgrade. However, the lack of a residential refrigerator option is a sure deal killer (we had terrible experiences with "RV" refrigerators in the past…)

At first, i thought it must be an oversight on the build sheet, but I just looked at 8 listed 3710 coaches, and all were equipped with RV refrigerators.

Does anyone know why this might be the case - structure limitation issues, or, is a residential fridge possibly available via special order?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bob Gash
Lebanon, TN
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 09:49 PM   #2

I copied this from the Newmar website. A residential fridge is listed as an option. Not sure if this applies to your desired model.

30” Convection Microwave with Three-Burner Gas Cooktop and Dishwasher
30” Convection Microwave with Three-Burner Gas Cooktop with Piezzo Ignition
30” Convection Microwave in Kitchen Overhead with Drawer Below Cooktop
Norcold® 12 Cf. Four-Door Refrigerator with Icemaker
Icemaker Added to Standard Norcold® Refrigerator
Whirlpool 19.7 Cf. Refrigerator, 2000 Watt Pure Sine Inverter and Six-6 Volt Batteries*
Frigidaire® 10 Cf. Refrigerator with Dedicated 1000 Watt Pure Sine Inverter & Two Extra Batteries*
Whirlpool® Two Piece Stacked Washer & Dryer
Whirlpool® Two Piece Washer & Dryer in Place of Rear Shower on the 3925 Only
Washer/Dryer Prep*
Central Vacuum with Tool Kit
Electric Fireplace in Living Area*
EntertainmentEntertainment

A quick call to Newmar Customer Service would provide you with an answer.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:23 AM   #3

Thanks for your note. I saw it was listed on the main CS option list, but it Isn't listed on the specific build/order sheet for a 3710.

I'll give Newmar a ring as per your suggestion. Thanks again,

BG
Old 01-16-2017, 04:36 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG88 View Post
Thanks for your note. I saw it was listed on the main CS option list, but it Isn't listed on the specific build/order sheet for a 3710.

I'll give Newmar a ring as per your suggestion. Thanks again,

BG
I just purchased a 3710 and it has a residential fridge. The Inverter is dedicated to the fridge.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:06 AM   #5

I just looked at the 3710 build sheet and the second item under Appliances is a $1,225 residential refer.

http://www.newmarcorp.com/wp-content...CSCA3710-2.pdf

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I just looked at the 3710 build sheet and the second item under Appliances is a $1,225 residential refer.

Wow. That's half the price for a fireplace installation!
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Old 01-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post

The refrigerator you referenced is listed as a "10 cubic foot", so I didn't consider that as an option (at that size, I thought was possibly for a basement location?).

It may simply be a typo, but I do have a note into Newmar, and will post results when I hear back.

Again, thanks for the input and replies.

BG
Old 01-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We have the 10 cf Frigidaire residential although I think you can special order the bigger French door unit. That will eliminate the nice adjustable pantry drawers which have a lot of value as the 3710 floor plan is not too generous on kitchen cabinet storage.

If ice cubes are important the Norcold can be ordered with an ice maker but the Frigidaire cannot. So we do the old school ice trays for martinis - that's roughing it all right!

We are fullttimers and the 10 cf fridge is plenty big. If you need more space, a 12v (120v with adapter ) portable ice chest can be stashed in the basement. Have a buddy who keeps beer in one of those.
2Escapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Escapees View Post
We have the 10 cf Frigidaire residential although I think you can special order the bigger French door unit. That will eliminate the nice adjustable pantry drawers which have a lot of value as the 3710 floor plan is not too generous on kitchen cabinet storage.

If ice cubes are important the Norcold can be ordered with an ice maker but the Frigidaire cannot. So we do the old school ice trays for martinis - that's roughing it all right!

We are fullttimers and the 10 cf fridge is plenty big. If you need more space, a 12v (120v with adapter ) portable ice chest can be stashed in the basement. Have a buddy who keeps beer in one of those.
Thanks for your info; however, We had 2 bad experiences with "RV" refrigerators, so only interested in a residential unit. [We have a 19.7 cubic foot RR in our current coach and really like/prefer it...]

I learned the 19.7 cubic foot RR option package is 7J655 - it's listed on a number of Canyon Star build sheets, but not the 2017 3710.

I'm having a bit of back-and-forth with Newmar customer service, and hope to have a definitive answer soon, which I'll post. Thanks,

BG
Old 01-18-2017, 04:52 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We just delivery of a 2016 CS 3710 and it has the residential fridge and inverter. Some of the other floor plans have the Whirlpool Frenchdoor. We really like the 3710 layout and are fine with making or buying a bag of ice when needed. The pullout pantry is awesome!

We owned express cruisers for a number of years and never had more than counter height fridges and managed just fine with an ice maker/fridge and the undercounted unit in the Halley for weeklong cruises.

The CS seems huge for us!
RVnewbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:52 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnewbie1 View Post
We just delivery of a 2016 CS 3710 and it has the residential fridge and inverter. Some of the other floor plans have the Whirlpool Frenchdoor. We really like the 3710 layout and are fine with making or buying a bag of ice when needed. The pullout pantry is awesome!

We owned express cruisers for a number of years and never had more than counter height fridges and managed just fine with an ice maker/fridge and the undercounted unit in the Halley for weeklong cruises.

The CS seems huge for us!

I second your comments. Same coach and setup! Can't wait for warmer weather!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar will do a lot of custom options. As example here is a very custom spec used 3710 in CT that has a whole house inverter, dishwasher, a bedroom slide from the 3914 floor plan, and probably more.

I would like the whole house inverter and 6 batteries for my unit but the two 1000 watt units work just fine. I did change out the 4 group 24 house batteries for larger capacity golf cart batteries as we do a lot of dry camping. BTW the heavy 6 ga dolor prep wiring is available as a special order and well worth it if you plan on solar in the future. Think standard solar prep is 10ga and that's good for only 200 watts on the roof.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Here is the link to the coach in CT

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Dav...3710-116077922
Old 01-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #14

I just heard back from Newmar, and they said the larger (19.7 cf) refrigerator is not available in the 2017 3710 floor-plan. [Since my wife is now used to the larger fridge, no way to make her go back down in size��!!]

I mentioned special orders; however, they didn't say that would be a possibility, but will pass my note to their sales staff.

If we do decide to go that route, I'll see if I can reach a sales manager to get a definitive answer on a possible custom order Thanks again for all the input.

BG

Tags
fridge