Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #1

No inside coach 120V outlets voltage

HELP!!
Plugged into 50A at home. Was running 3 small electric heaters and microwave. (just got back from 6 week trip and eating dinner in coach in back yard) Usage meter over passengers seat indicated 0 on L-2 and 38A on L-1. All at once all electrical outlets in coach went dead. Oasis I and II still showing 13 amps draw each when turned on, was not using at the time.

Progressive Surg Protector at electric post indicates 129V and 130V on L-1 and L-2, no E (errors). Power Moniter Panel Electric indicator over passengers seat still shows L-1 127V and L-2 128V but 0 amp draw on each. Why would this be so but no current at 120V outlets all through coach?

Checked main breaker box in small bath and nothing tripped. Even reset the main 50A breaker but still no current at any 120V outlets in coach.

Any other breakers that should be checked, and if so where would they be?

What is happenning?

2015 Dutch Star 4018.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have a inverter did you check its circuit breakers?
If your outlets are off the inverter maybe you have GFI outlet tripped because of high current draw plus don't you have circuit breakers for load center outlets off invertor.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
HELP!!
Plugged into 50A at home. Was running 3 small electric heaters and microwave. (just got back from 6 week trip and eating dinner in coach in back yard) Usage meter over passengers seat indicated 0 on L-2 and 38A on L-1. All at once all electrical outlets in coach went dead. Oasis I and II still showing 13 amps draw each when turned on, was not using at the time.

Progressive Surg Protector at electric post indicates 129V and 130V on L-1 and L-2, no E (errors). Power Moniter Panel Electric indicator over passengers seat still shows L-1 127V and L-2 128V but 0 amp draw on each. Why would this be so but no current at 120V outlets all through coach?

Checked main breaker box in small bath and nothing tripped. Even reset the main 50A breaker but still no current at any 120V outlets in coach.

What is happenning?

2015 Dutch Star 4018.
Cannot show amp draw if not using.

Turn off all breakers then turn on . Don't just look.

Check all GFI outlets. GFI's will not reset without power. Check reset in inverter. Again off then on.

Get a volt meter and start at the shore power. Check voltage. L1 to L2 = 240 volts. L1 to g/n = 120 volts. L2 to G/N = 120 volts. check every connection back to the coach especially at the ATS. Check voltage at coach breaker box. Turn off then back on ALL breakers.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Cannot show amp draw if not using.

Turn off all breakers then turn on . Don't just look.

Check all GFI outlets. GFI's will not reset without power. Check reset in inverter. Again off then on.

Get a volt meter and start at the shore power. Check voltage. L1 to L2 = 240 volts. L1 to g/n = 120 volts. L2 to G/N = 120 volts. check every connection back to the coach especially at the ATS. Check voltage at coach breaker box. Turn off then back on ALL breakers.
Did the main breaker, but not each individual breaker. Checked 4 GFI reset button, not sure if this is all of them.
Progressive surg protector shows 129V and 130V at L1 and L2 at post so surely this indicates power is getting to coach.
Not sure if breaker box in small bath is the only one.
Thanks for the suggestions, will do it all again.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
You have a inverter did you check its circuit breakers?
If your outlets are off the inverter maybe you have GFI outlet tripped because of high current draw plus don't you have circuit breakers for load center outlets off invertor.
The Invertor works, but didn't know it had seperate breaker.

Checked 3 GFIs in bath and one over kitchen sink.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #6

Check your inverter. I'm pretty sure your microwave is powered from it, and depending on where your space heaters were plugged in, they may have been, too. The *load* breakers on your inverter are likely to be the round "pop out button" kind and seem to end up on the side of the box you can't easily view from the front of the bay so you have have to do the Braille method to find them.

When you say you "checked the GFCI" buttons, did you press "TEST" and then "RESET"? I ask because neither will work if there is no power to them.

Just because the surge protector shows voltage going into it does not mean the voltage is making it to your breaker panel or inverter. Have you tried to power the coach from your generator? If it works then you likely have a bad ATS - automatic transfer switch as *most* ATS default to generator power rather than shore power.

Cavie, 007... did I miss anything?
Old 10-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Check your inverter. I'm pretty sure your microwave is powered from it, and depending on where your space heaters were plugged in, they may have been, too. The *load* breakers on your inverter are likely to be the round "pop out button" kind and seem to end up on the side of the box you can't easily view from the front of the bay so you have have to do the Braille method to find them.

When you say you "checked the GFCI" buttons, did you press "TEST" and then "RESET"? I ask because neither will work if there is no power to them.

Just because the surge protector shows voltage going into it does not mean the voltage is making it to your breaker panel or inverter. Have you tried to power the coach from your generator? If it works then you likely have a bad ATS - automatic transfer switch as *most* ATS default to generator power rather than shore power.

Cavie, 007... did I miss anything?
Would the inverter come into play if I was plugged into 50A shore power when everything went off, then the inverter tried to work but guess I had too much current draw and it kept going on/off so I turned it off.

Haven't tried the generator yet, will do that next.

Only pressed "Check" on the GFIs, didn't think to press "Test". Will start over on them but can't imagine what would have tripped any of them since neither the wife nor I was doing anything near an outlet.

The I and II on the Oasis switch work and shows draw on the Electric Panel so something must be getting power in the coach. Is the Oasis getting it;s power from some other source than the 120V electric outlets inside the coach?
Old 10-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #8

Yes, the inverter is in play with your outlets.

For the inverter to power the same outlets as the shore/generator power does, the shore power has to pass thru the inverter.

It has breakers, check them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:41 PM   #9

Generator running makes no difference.

Two of the GFis have a little green light at the lower edge, I can press "Test", the light goes out, then I can reset. There is also power at those two GFIs.

The other two GFIs, one over the bathroom sink and one over the kitchen sink, have no little light on. The Test button will not press in (jammed up a thumb nail trying) and there is no little light at the edge of them. Also, no power at those two GFIs. Why won't those two let me press the "Test" button in?

It's currently raining, could this have any affect? We've been in a torrential rain twice in the last week in a campground before coming home and no problem then.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Yes, the inverter is in play with your outlets.

For the inverter to power the same outlets as the shore/generator power does, the shore power has to pass thru the inverter.

It has breakers, check them.
Dummy me, I'm not even sure where the inverter is let alone where the breakers would be located.
Any location on my 2015 Dutch Star 40'?
Old 10-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
HELP!!

What is happenning?

2015 Dutch Star 4018.
If I were a betting man, I would put my money on a defective GFCI!! If the Oasis is showing current draw on AC I / II, you still have power in the coach! Just for grins have you tried turning on the overhead ACs or heat?? BTW, if the two GFCIs are showing a green light, there IS power at those outlets!
Old 10-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Dummy me, I'm not even sure where the inverter is let alone where the breakers would be located.
Any location on my 2015 Dutch Star 40'?
GFCIs will NOT reset if they are not getting power.

Find your batteries and follow the heavy cables to the inverter/charger.

Maybe others can locate it for you.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Unless your 15 is different than my 14' or 19', your inverter does not have circuit breakers mounted on the inverter. The inverter circuit breakers are in the half bath. Older coaches with a Magnum Inverter had two round push in circuit breakers. On your coach, your inverter is mounted to the ceiling of the pass thru bay. This makes it hard to access the CB's so they remotely locate them in the circuit breaker panel in the bath.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:50 PM   #14

Are there any outside compartment GFIs or are they all inside the coach?