Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2021, 12:46 AM   #1

No Power to Coach

I have a 2020 Dutch Star with an issue. When plugged into a tested good 50amp shore power outlet I am not getting any power to the coach. Supply tested with 122VAC on both legs but the coach meter says no service. I also noticed the two green LEDS that are normally on in the surge protector when plugged in are not on. Any ideas? I am 2 days in on a 4 week trip.
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2021, 03:24 AM   #2

You are not getting power to the surge protector. What is upstream of it?
Xmcdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:36 AM   #3

The surge protector is not allowing power from the pedestal to pass through. There can only be three issues given you have checked both legs and have 122VAC and the surge protector lights are not working. 1) the surge protector is bad. 2) There is a bad neutral on the pedestal. 3) There is a bad ground on the pedestal. Suggest you move to another source of power.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:54 AM   #4

Can you power the coach with the generator?
Did you test all legs of the power pedestal with a multi-meter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91BD630A-36A6-494A-84A4-E5F281FBBC4E.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	325927  
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
Can you power the coach with the generator?
Did you test all legs of the power pedestal with a multi-meter?
No the generator starts but does not power anything. I can not even get my inverter to come on. System just reads low battery. Called Newmar, tested breakers, reset GFI's through out. Mobil tech has been notified, waiting for call back. Suspect the surge protector or maybe something in the charging system is bad. Coach started but it gives me a low battery message. Been trying to charge batteries with generator but again nothing is charging. I guess this is the part where we are having fun!!!
Yes I used a DVM and measured 122VAC on both legs. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:54 AM   #6

I would check the connections in and out of the cord reel. I had a bad connection inside the cord reel and had intermittant power problems. I took the cord reel out and checked all connections. I had a loose connection from the cord reel to the surge protector.
NoDents4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:01 AM   #7

Unless the surge protector is wired after the transfer switch, the fact that the generator also fails to send ac to the coach points to the transfer switch, IMO. It sounds like nothing is passing through the TS, assuming all breakers in the main panel have been checked.

Have you taken voltage readings at the input/output lugs of the TS?
Do you hear the TS “clunk” when shore power is switched to generator?
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:02 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I too would be looking at the transfer switch. If you're sure all breakers are "on", that's the most obvious thing to me to start with. Not sure if the surge suppressor comes into play when running the generator or not, but I know the transfer switch does!
patgreenair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinddancer View Post
I have a 2020 Dutch Star with an issue. When plugged into a tested good 50amp shore power outlet I am not getting any power to the coach. Supply tested with 122VAC on both legs but the coach meter says no service. I also noticed the two green LEDS that are normally on in the surge protector when plugged in are not on. Any ideas? I am 2 days in on a 4 week trip.
When the OP states that the two green lights that are normally on are NOT, that leads me to think the surge protector is plugged into the pedestal and then the cord reel is plugged into the surge protector. In addition it doesn't compute that the generator is not producing power. Could he have overloaded the generator after the initial problem and this is a secondary issue. I wish we had more information.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Most likely the OP has the combo "Surge Guard" Surge Protector/Transfer Switch that Newmar has been using for a coupe of years.

I would give Surge Guard a call while waiting for the mobile tech and see if they can walk you through a diagnosis. (800) 780-4324

I would also disconnect the shore power, roll the power cord a out a few more inches and then reconnect and see what happens. You could have a burned spot on the power cord reel. Just something to try while you're waiting.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:45 AM   #11

Something I experienced on a 2019 Ventana 3709 that maybe worth checking. Bottom line is what are the condition of your house batteries. On my unit the house batteries went dead and the entire electrical system went down, both DC and AC. You could not get AC into the coach, without house DC, which operate all controls. Worth a check with a multimeter directly on the house batteries. In my case I charged the house batteries with a MANUAL charger. Newer automatic chargers will not work on dead or very low batteries. If no Manual charger is available, jump to a car or truck battery. JUST be sure to jump across a series pair of golf cart batteries, so you have 12 volts wiring on both ends. Extremely important to get across a series pair of golf cart house batteries.
PeteDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:47 PM   #12

Long story I will update when I get home to a keyboard. The transfer switch went bad. Quite an adventure getting a replacement.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Long story I will update when I get home to a keyboard. The transfer switch went bad. Quite an adventure getting a replacement.
We do not have power to our coach all of the sudden, DC only, not sure what the problem could be, I also have a window in the half bath that has separated, we have never used the coach and already have these problems, we plan on using the coach a few weeks a year, really disappointing that we have these issues before our first trip. We did buy it used but it was never used, sat in storage 95 % of the time, 2019 model with 2400 miles.
Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:54 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
We are currently having the exact same problem with our 2020 New Aire 3545. It has been sitting in our storage facility since April 17th with a bad transfer switch. All 8 house batteries are now totally dead and the chassis batteries are barely hanging on. This week Newmar finally shipped the mobile tech the wrong transfer switch. They promised to next-day air the correct part on on Tuesday and it has yet to arrive.

We purchased the coach at the end of October 2020. It has 2600 miles on it. Has been used on 3 trips (including the trip home from the dealership where we purchased it.). It failed on that trip and spent a week at Freightliner. On the next trip it had a hydraulic system failure which rendered the slides and jacks inoperable. On trip number 3 we lost all power, had to bring the slides in on battery, and limped home in the middle of the night in a snowstorm rather than freeze to death with no heat. Oh, and both sleep number mattresses burst because we didn't have the power to deflate them before coming over the mountain.

Newmar's response to all of this has been, underwhelming, to put it mildly.

Prior to the New Air we owned a Leisure Travel Unity for 7 years. In that time we had no major system failures.

We are beginning to strongly regret our decision to purchase the Newmar New Aire.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no power, power