Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2022, 04:04 PM   #1

No power to coach

I have a 2015 Bay Star with 50 amp power. I have it parked at my house hooked up to a 50 amp service that has been in use for over three years. I suddenly lost power to the coach. After some investigation I determined that the automatic transfer switch was bad. Power to the transfer switch, no power from the transfer switch to the coach. I ordered a new one and wired it up. That did not fix the issue. Same problem. Power to transfer switch, no power out. I have a progressive surge that works fine and I checked the 50 amp service with a multimeter. Any ideas out there? Am I missing something?
The_Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2022, 04:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Try starting the generator. This will exercise the transfer switch.
If that doesn't work get out your volt meter and work your way backwards
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:38 PM   #3

It was a few days before I noticed the issue. The batteries are dead, and I will need to deal with that first before I can ge the generator started to test that out.,
Old 05-25-2022, 04:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Edge View Post
I have a 2015 Bay Star with 50 amp power. I have it parked at my house hooked up to a 50 amp service that has been in use for over three years. I suddenly lost power to the coach. After some investigation I determined that the automatic transfer switch was bad. Power to the transfer switch, no power from the transfer switch to the coach. I ordered a new one and wired it up. That did not fix the issue. Same problem. Power to transfer switch, no power out. I have a progressive surge that works fine and I checked the 50 amp service with a multimeter. Any ideas out there? Am I missing something?
Do you hear the contactor closing on the transfer switch when you first plug it into power? If not, you may still have a bad one. You can take the cover off and then watch when you plug in as well - just be super careful. If the contactor does not engage, you can physically push it with wood or plastic and see if it sends power through.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:36 PM   #5

I do not hear the contractor kick in. I am charging the batteries now to see if I can get the generator turned on to test that. I will try to press the contractor in with a wooden stick while plugging it in.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:43 PM   #6

Ok, when I manually push on the contractor, power goes the the coach side of the transfer switch.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Edge View Post
Ok, when I manually push on the contractor, power goes the the coach side of the transfer switch.
Ouch. Sounds like another bad switch. What brand? Also, are you certain the wires are fully butted in and screwed/clamped tightly?
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:52 PM   #8

Progressive PD52. I will double check the wires to make sure they are in tight.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:20 PM   #9

After getting out my multimeter for more work, it seems that the Progressive EMS-PT50X was the problem. Once I hooked up directly to the power bypassing the EMS, it all came to like. The weather resistant EMS was full of water and had corroded a couple contacts.

Tags
no power, power