Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #1

No power to toad tailights

I have a 2005 Newmar KSDP and have lost power to the trailer connector for the toad taillight circuit. I still have brake and turn signals on the toad and taillights on the coach. Does anyone know where the connection box or fuse box is for this circuit. I can't find any fuses or relays for this in the man panels.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 07:21 AM   #2

Compartment pass side in front of tire.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:30 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by high voltage View Post
Compartment pass side in front of tire.
On your coach, if like mine, I think check the compartment on pass side behind the rear wheels.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman52 View Post
Where is this located? I don't see this in mine.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ranger Rick.....If it was a Monaco, I could tell you exactly where it's at. Since I'm new to Newmar, I don't know where all the older models have there fuses. On my Dutch Star and a few others, there is a box in the same compartment as the engine start batteries, passenger side rear of the coach. Mine is against the back wall and about half the size of a cigar box.

Here's what it has inside:

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #7

Ranger Rick

I found the fuses to my Mountain Aire toad plug on top of the batteries.
K A R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
The electrical panel with these relays in my 2007 KSDP is on passenger side behind the rear duals. I had to replace one and only place I could find one is from Spartan. My son sources parts for these type things and found it is made in China and imported by some company in florida, but only Spartan had the part.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ours is in compartment behind rear wheels passenger side. it is on the right hand side of compartment, facing the compartment. Mine even had spare fuse taped inside cover, maybe from previous owner, which was a great idea I might add.

If you turn on turn signals you can hear the flasher..in that area.

hope this helps
Angler3041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Mine is on passenger side on side of frame rail, in front of drive axle. Have seen behind the rear wheels just in front of the batteries.

X2 Turn on your turn signals to help locate.

X2 If it is a relay inside your black Bussman fuse box your have to go to Spartan to obtain. Could not find them anywhere else.

Good Luck and let us know what you find out.
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:58 AM   #11

On our 07 Ventana there is a fuse/relay box (looks just like the picture Shaman52 posted) in the compartment with the inverter and BIRD. several relays deal with the rear lights. We pulled one that was marked for something towed when our left side brake/turn signal lights went dark. We could not find a relay at auto parts nor RV parts places we went to and called (Newmar didn't carry them either). The closest we found was a FORD part that was a bit smaller but also $35 for the relay.

Instead we ordered on-line and got excellent service from Mouser Electronics. Mouser Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor or 800-346-6873

The bad relay in ours was marked: SONG CHUAN 303-1AH-C-R1 U01 12VDC

We bought a couple extras since they shipped for the same price...recd 3 for <$20.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #12

"We pulled one that was marked for something towed when our left side brake/turn signal lights went dark. "

To clarify, one relay controlled the left side brake/turn lights (the one that went bad). There are several relays there, so we took out the one marked for towing and used it for our left side brake/turn lights. We weren't towing anything and didn't notice anything else not working. We were able to make it home with the "borrowed" relay.

We called Spartan to find out exactly what we pulled the relay from, but it was after normal hours and the tech didn't have the schematics to look at. He said borrowing one from another slot was a good temporary repair.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #13

Just thought I would update this post a bit. I still have not found the info I am looking for. My relay panel is in a compartment ahead of the left front wheel. There are two relays there for the trailer (toad) lights, one for the left signal and one for the right as well as fuses. For the taillights, there is only one fuse and if I remove it both the coach and the trailer taillights go out. If there is another fuse down line somewhere I have not been able to locate it. None of the wires coming into the electrical compartment match the colour of the wires at the plug receptacle which tells me there is another junction somewhere. If I follow the wires from the plug receptacle at the rear they get lost in the loom and I can't see where they go.
I suspect my problem is where the trailer harness connects to the main chassis harness.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #14

RangerRick-

I found this link to a wiring diagram:

http://www.spartanchassis.com/cps/lo...8514623750.pdf

on this iRV2 thread:

Newmar Spartan 2005 MA Electrical guide

Only you can confirm if it applies to your coach (I don't have any Newmar experience).

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, power, toad