Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2005, 05:29 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds strange but, my radio will play CDs just fine but will not tune a frequency on either AM or FM. The numbers on the dial change but nothing happens. Seek doesn't work, just cycles through freqs. Tried an external antenna plugged into the back to see if that might be the problem. Still didn't get any reception. Any help appreciated.

Charlie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2005, 05:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds strange but, my radio will play CDs just fine but will not tune a frequency on either AM or FM. The numbers on the dial change but nothing happens. Seek doesn't work, just cycles through freqs. Tried an external antenna plugged into the back to see if that might be the problem. Still didn't get any reception. Any help appreciated.

Charlie
Old 10-11-2005, 06:27 AM   #3

I was gonna guess the antenna...but you tried that ????
Old 10-11-2005, 05:10 PM   #4

Charlie did you try calling customer service at Newmar for some help? Ed.S
Old 10-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Is it a "Visteon" radio?(Ford product)---check out the website: http://www.carradio.com
Siggy D
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:13 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, I have the W22. I think the radio is a Sony or Panasonic. MH is in storage at the moment so I can't go look.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, it is the Sony CDX. I know that there is a set up for listening to the TV through the radio speakers. Could this be the problem somehow?
Old 10-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #8

I have sat with the book on my Sony radio and I still have problems changing from am to FM without the book. That is the most complicated thing I have run into. My guess though is that if it is running through the frequencies on the dial that something else is wrong. If I can get to the right setting I always get something. Good Luck
Old 10-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #9

Since you have tried a different antenna the main suspect (antenna, cable, or coax connector) would appear to have been eliminated.

However, it does not resolve the lack of reception which goes back to signal path issues. I would lean towards a bad connection on the inside of the radio where the connector solders to the PC board.

If not that then something in the receiver section of the radio is not working properly. Based on labor costs to repair electronic equipment, unless your radio is under warranty, I would suggest just buying a new radio.

Sorry.

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:48 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Like everyone else I too have had fun with the Sony radio.
What I will try to explain is on the Sony CDX-CA720X-700X AND 705M radios. Some of us may have the XA-300 AUX-IN Selector also. There is a card remote commander RM-X118 also to control radio while traveling down the road.
The Source button will get you to (Power on/Radio/CD/MD) to select the source.
Once you hit the source you want you than press the MODE button just at 11 o'clock of source.
If you selected the radio mode will walk thru 3 FM and 2 AM bands of 6 stations each.
If your parked or before you leave you can select these 6 stations on 1 band by using the BTM- best tuning memory- button and it will select the strongest stations in your area. I wouldn't try while traveling down the road.
If you select CD/MP3 mode you will be connected thru the XA-300 AUX-IN Selector which is located under dash area on shelf and held on by velcro, you can lift fuse access cover on dash in front of your steering wheel and see it just to right of opening.
This unit will send radio input to a 10 or 6 CD/MD Changer, DVD Player,MD Walkman and USB input for MP3 source.

My TV is played thru the CD 2 AUX-1 input if this is what is displayed on your screen "CharlieM" it maybe why your not getting any sound from radio.

All these sources will have to be wired thru AUX unit, your laptop can store music and play thru USB port, I have been looking at some MP3 units for music source instead of CD/MD units because they are so small.
There is alot more that can be covered at least I hope this will get you into the different sources that you may have off these radios.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote