RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2020, 06:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
No running lights to toad

I have a 2014 Ventana. I have no power to the running lights when towing. Signals and brake lights are fine. I’m wondering if there is a separate fuse for the running lights. Lights on the RV are fine.
Thanks for any input.

RudysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 06:47 PM   #2

Tail & running lights are one of the 6 pins on the connector. I believe the very top one if you were looking at the cable as you would would plug it into the toad or RV. I guess you can check voltage, inspect the cable, and OHM out the wire, if you do find the fuse good.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
eTrailer has a lot of good info and the parts once you figure out what is going on. This link here has all of the motorhome side wiring and towed side pictures for trailers and 4down. https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #4

Lights on the toad are powered by the coach lights, if coach lights work, so should the toad lights if...

The socket on the coach is wired correctly
The cord to the toad has continuity in all wires
The toad socket is wired correctly
The toad lights are wired correctly
The toad bulbs are good

You did not state if this is a new issue or they never worked. If this was my problem, I’d first see if the toad lights operate without the coach connected. That tells me the bulbs and wiring of the toad are good.

Next, I’d check the power pin on the coach socket for running lights.
If good, plug in the cord and test toad end of plug for power.
If good, issue has to be with toad wiring to running lights. Begin by inspecting wiring to toad socket for running lights.

If you get this far, you’ll need to trace how the toad was wired, looking for disconnected or broken wires.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #5

You didn't provide much detail on how your coach/toad wiring is setup so it is difficult to get specific. What is your setup?

My coach is a 2016 DSDP 4369. The fuses for the lights and turn signals in my coach are located in the chassis battery compartment next to the engine.

I recently had an issue with the right turn signal light not working on my toad. The coach turn signals worked fine. I looked at the fuses, the connecting cable, the wiring, and the bulb. Turned out that the right turn signal pin on the Blue Ox 6 pin connector was not making contact with corresponding socket pin on my Jeep. I ended up replacing both connectors.

I attached a wiring diagram of the Blue Ox 7 pin to 6 pin cable I made while troubleshooting. I also attached the pin out diagrams for the male and female 6 pin connector. They may or may not be helpful depending on your cabling configuration.

I agree with Ljwt330's troubleshooting procedure. You have to go through the steps to eliminate what is isn't before you can figure out what it is.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RB 2020-03-15 14.46.57.pdf (284.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf Pinout Diagram for 6 pin connector.pdf (307.8 KB, 4 views)
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:17 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I got the coach about a month ago. Lights were working then. No power to pin on connector. Unplugged from back of the connector and no power to harness. I will pull that apart and check individual wires. Also check battery compartment for fuses. Hopefully find easy fix. Thanks for thoughts. Iíll let you know what I find.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #7

I have a 2015 Ventana and tow a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and have the same problem. I have never been able to get the running lights to work. It all checks out electrically in that I have power at the pigtail. I've had it in the shop with no luck. Since we never travel after dark not a big issue but more of an annoyance. I would love to find a fix so will follow this posting.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysDad View Post
I got the coach about a month ago. Lights were working then. No power to pin on connector. Unplugged from back of the connector and no power to harness. I will pull that apart and check individual wires. Also check battery compartment for fuses. Hopefully find easy fix. Thanks for thoughts. Iíll let you know what I find.

Note bold.

Are you talking about the socket (connector) on the coach? If so, trace the wiring for the running lights back to where it is spliced into the coach's running lights. That is the most likely place for a problem.

I doubt you will find fuses for the toad wiring, but you never know. Typically, the connections to the coach socket are simple splices into the coach wiring and those wires are already protected by the coach fuses. Again, if the coach lights work, the toad wiring should work.

Keep us updated
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftharrisiii View Post
You didn't provide much detail on how your coach/toad wiring is setup so it is difficult to get specific. What is your setup?

My coach is a 2016 DSDP 4369. The fuses for the lights and turn signals in my coach are located in the chassis battery compartment next to the engine.

I recently had an issue with the right turn signal light not working on my toad. The coach turn signals worked fine. I looked at the fuses, the connecting cable, the wiring, and the bulb. Turned out that the right turn signal pin on the Blue Ox 6 pin connector was not making contact with corresponding socket pin on my Jeep. I ended up replacing both connectors.

I attached a wiring diagram of the Blue Ox 7 pin to 6 pin cable I made while troubleshooting. I also attached the pin out diagrams for the male and female 6 pin connector. They may or may not be helpful depending on your cabling configuration.

I agree with Ljwt330's troubleshooting procedure. You have to go through the steps to eliminate what is isn't before you can figure out what it is.
Thanks for the info on the location of the fuse box for lights and signals. I pulled the fuse and relay and put them back in and it came to life. I guess just a dirty connection. Wasn’t making contact. On my way to get some contact cleaner and do them all. Thanks again for all the help. I have the same coach as you. Just two years older.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysDad View Post
Thanks for the info on the location of the fuse box for lights and signals. I pulled the fuse and relay and put them back in and it came to life. I guess just a dirty connection. Wasnít making contact. On my way to get some contact cleaner and do them all. Thanks again for all the help. I have the same coach as you. Just two years older.
That's great. Glad to hear that you solved the problem.
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There have been some issues with the relays walking out of their plugs in the past. On my 2014 DS, the relays in the front run bay would work themselves out. I solved this by placing a piece of foam under the lid, keeping the relays from walking out.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
There have been some issues with the relays walking out of their plugs in the past. On my 2014 DS, the relays in the front run bay would work themselves out. I solved this by placing a piece of foam under the lid, keeping the relays from walking out.
Thank you. Good info to have.

Tags
light, lights, toad