Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
No Service from local dealer.

Purchased a DS4369 from dealer in Mississippi. I have a few minor issues I need repaired, so called local dealer in Louisiana to talk about warranty work and was told not taking any new customers unless purchased from them. I am in a pickle now! I saved 30K driving 5 hours but now have no service..
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Call Newmar, they will work with most shops to get you taken care of. They did with us with our 2000 DSDP. Doidn't need it with the 2002 DSDP though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are there other dealers you can go to? Contact your manufacturer's customer service for other authorized dealers.

This subject has come up many times. It is unfortunate that these dealers don't see the need of providing service which will, in turn, expand their customer base and goodwill. These dealers deserve to go belly-up when we have another recession.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
As the sign on the wall says, "bought it here, front of the line, bought it there, back of the line."

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:20 PM   #5

Call Newmar Customer service. Maybe they can jerk the " busy " dealers chain ?
Actually, I think it would be a mistake to deal with that guy anyhow considering his attitude. Newmar should authorize a local RV Service tech if dealer can't / won't help you out.
PS.....give the forum the dealers name so others don't fall into his grasp.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Berryland Campers
Old 10-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #7

I am probably unique in my thinking. I feel like if you buy a Newmar every dealer in the country should be made to accept the warranty work. What good is a "national network" of service providers if they are allowed to refuse you because you didn't purchase from them. So I suppose someone who is 1000 miles from home must limp home because that is where the unit was purchased? I realize OP's case is more about local dealer being mad because they likely lost the sale to an out of town dealer. IMO it doesn't matter.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've only placed an order...waiting, waiting...

We purchased out of State. I was lucky to find, near my home, an RV repair shop (not an rv dealer) that does Newmar warranty work. I would imagine I would be treated equally by his shop...he's also 60 miles closer to my house than the closest Newmar Dealer. I consider it a good find.

Look around for RV repair shops that aren't dealers...they may do the needed warranty work without the head games.

It's sad that dealers play that game... Without saying they are stupid...I'll just say: I wonder how much good will and future business they just lost by acting this way??? Do they not understand how much a little forum discussion can either help or hurt future business??? It's totally based on their choices. Well...I think they made a bad choice. They didn't even try to earn your future business. Either now, under warranty, ...or the years to come ....when you may not be under warranty.

I wonder how they treat the people with aftermarket extended warranties??

Whatever...they're adults...they get to make their own mistakes.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:58 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I am probably unique in my thinking. I feel like if you buy a Newmar every dealer in the country should be made to accept the warranty work. What good is a "national network" of service providers if they are allowed to refuse you because you didn't purchase from them. So I suppose someone who is 1000 miles from home must limp home because that is where the unit was purchased? I realize OP's case is more about local dealer being mad because they likely lost the sale to an out of town dealer. IMO it doesn't matter.

Funny thing, Berryland had no problem giving ME an out-of-state sales quote. So they don't mind selling a camper to someone out of state...BUT, they won't service a unit that is in front of them - because the owner did the very same thing??? I don't think I'd like to defend those actions in litigation. Just say in'.

We accepted a bid from another dealer.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
We purchased out of State. I was lucky to find, near my home, an RV repair shop (not an rv dealer) that does Newmar warranty work. I would imagine I would be treated equally by his shop...he's also 60 miles closer to my house than the closest Newmar Dealer. I consider it a good find.

Look around for RV repair shops that aren't dealers...they may do the needed warranty work without the head games.

It's sad that dealers play that game... Without saying they are stupid...I'll just say: I wonder how much good will and future business they just lost by acting this way??? Do they not understand how much a little forum discussion can either help or hurt future business??? It's totally based on their choices. Well...I think they made a bad choice. They didn't even try to earn your future business. Either now, under warranty, ...or the years to come ....when you may not be under warranty.

I wonder how they treat the people with aftermarket extended warranties??

Whatever...they're adults...they get to make their own mistakes.
Same here. The shop I'm using is well-reviewed, helpful, friendly, courteous, responsive, and doesn't take 8 weeks to get an appointment. Local dealer reportedly has none of these qualities.

Problem is that Newmar seems to be very slow and non-responsive in working with them. I have heard from other Newmar owners that it can take three months to pay for a claim. That's tough for a small business. Still, these guys are on track to earn my business for the nine years I'll have the motorhome when it is not under warranty.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Funny thing, Berryland had no problem giving ME an out-of-state sales quote. So they don't mind selling a camper to someone out of state...BUT, they won't service a unit that is in front of them - because the owner did the very same thing??? I don't think I'd like to defend those actions in litigation. Just say in'.

We accepted a bid from another dealer.
I would have purchased locally, but as I stated they were 30K higher, when salesman called a few weeks later, I had already purchased MH from Southaven RV. Then they tell me we could have sold unit for that price, they had the wrong colors/layout and why tell someone after the fact they could have sold unit for that price. Was it because I was in shorts, flip flops, not the right age and t-shirt, I truly believe they thought I just wanted a ride in a MH.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #12

Tampa RV sold me a new 2016 but can't make time for repairs. I was told to bring my coach in Nov. 24th and they would try to find time to work it in but couldn't tell me if I would have it back by Christmas. North Trail RV in Fort Myers said they couldn't find me in the system and they were busy with their customers and not to bring it to them. Independence RV in Orlando made an appointment with me December 8th. I guess that's where I should have brought. Lesson learned.
teammadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Every time that I tell my dealer that this is the last RV that I am buying, they just smile and say see you in a few years......and they are right. Every dealer needs to consider that their interactions with prospective customers can lead to a future sale or being eliminated as a potential source for my next RV.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
I would have purchased locally, but as I stated they were 30K higher, when salesman called a few weeks later, I had already purchased MH from Southaven RV. Then they tell me we could have sold unit for that price, they had the wrong colors/layout and why tell someone after the fact they could have sold unit for that price. Was it because I was in shorts, flip flops, not the right age and t-shirt, I truly believe they thought I just wanted a ride in a MH.
That is just shortsighted and plain dumb on their part. The $30k you saved by going elsewhere to buy could have gone into their wallets in future repairs or modification work.

Talk about shooting your own foot off!
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, service