Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2023, 07:01 AM   #1

No sound on Sony TV. Need fix or replace advice

We have a Sony KDL-48W650D TV on the televator over the fireplace in our 2017 Ventana 4369. The TV, all on its own, did a reset. Now there is no sound from the TV, on either satellite or over the air. (The sound still works from the Sony overhead sound system.) I tried another reset, and tried turning off power at the fuse. Still no sound. I’ve had the TV check for software updates, and it tells me it’s up to date. Any suggestions for anything else to try?

We’ve been unhappy that the TV only has the apps for Prime and Netflix with no way to download other apps to the TV. If we can’t get the sound fixed then it may be time to replace it. If so, which TV and model have people used that will fit the opening?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Susan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2023, 07:07 AM   #2

It seems to me that this is most likely an issue with the settings in the television. Perhaps they were changed when the television reset. Have you gone into the sound settings menu and confirmed that everything is properly configured? My 2018 Ventana has a Bose sound bar above the television (not sure if you have this) and I have to make sure it’s configured properly and that the sound bar is turned on, or I don’t get any sound.

The app problem can be pretty easily addressed with something like Apple TV or an Amazon Fire Stick. I use Apple TV on all three of our televisions and it works very well.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:21 AM   #3

I have checked the sound settings, where I have clicked reset without any change. Equalizer, Clear Voice, Steady Sound, and Balance are not lit, nor can I get the cursor to highlight them. Under Advanced Settings, Dolby Digital Plus Out reads off, and it is not highlighted, nor can I get the cursor to highlight it.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:39 AM   #4

Have you checked your sound output settings? Some televisions will not allow you to modify the sound settings if the output is set to go to an amplifier or sound bar.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:04 AM   #5

That’s it! I figured out that if I unplugged the Sony sound system from the back of the TV the TV had sound, so I went searching for the sound output settings. Under SETTINGS: SETUP: AV SETUP I changed HEAD PHONE/AUDIO OUT from headphone to audio out, and it’s working as before. Thanks for your help! None of the Google searches I did for help sent me there.

Susan
Old 02-25-2023, 08:26 AM   #6

Nice! Glad to hear that it’s working again.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:19 PM   #7

The apps can be addressed with a fire stick as stated. If you want to swap out the tv, reach out to any NIRVC service department. The mount will have to be modified but it will be a big improvement over the older Sony tv you have currently. The 46” OLED LG fits great and is the best picture.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:01 PM   #8

I have a 2015 tiffin allegro. I want to replace the tv above the fireplace. Does anyone know how to remove this tv
dolphincar13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, advice, replace, sony