Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2022, 03:19 PM   #1

No System Air Pressure

Good evening Tommy here,
My wife and I currently have a 2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3904 DP. In December of 2021 we were headed to Florida for the winter. As we were getting ready to depart the camp ground in Fayetteville NC we were not able to build up any air pressure is our Motorhome. We were fortunate enough to be only a few miles for Soles Truck Repair. The technician came out and found that our problem was the governor….after 30 minutes we were back on the road headed to warm sunny Florida.

After spending the winter in Florida we departed for home on April 13, 2022. Arriving at and while backing into our space next to our home the low pressure air alarm came on….I looked and I was down to 65psi on both gages. I was able to get the rv positioned before the Parking Brake button popped out.

Doing some handyman troubling shooting, I hook up my home air compressor to the shradder valve on the bottom of the air dryer…..I noticed air coming out of the seal just below the filter for the dryer. I am not sure when the last time the air dryer was serviced as I bought this unit in February of 2021.

2 questions: Can anyone shed any light on what my cause my rig to loose air pressure.

Can anyone provide me with the air system diagram for my rig……I asked Freightliner but they said they could not share these drawings.

Thanks
Tommy W
tlwalker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 03:49 PM   #2

Glad you were at home when this one took place!

You might get more hits/input if you ask the Moderator to move this over to the Newmar Owner's section.

Any time I purchase a new vehicle, my policy is if I can't see proof of specific maintenance in the receipts available - it did not happen.

So no matter what you find out to be Root Cause, I'd recommend a new Air Cartridge and if appropriate for this setup, rebuild or replace the purge valve too.

That was a great era for Newmar, enjoy the Kountry Star,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Glad you were at home when this one took place!

You might get more hits/input if you ask the Moderator to move this over to the Newmar Owner's section.

<snip>
Smitty
Well, though it's very active, some of the denizens of that forum seem to discourage posters who have only owned other brands from posting there. So maybe the OP would get more responses there and perhaps not. But in any event, perhaps this diagram will be helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FL Chassis Air Lines Diagram.pdf (159.9 KB, 6 views)
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:26 PM   #4

John posted that link already.
For those interested, there are several compressed air system schematics in the files section of irv2.com.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:32 PM   #5

Freightliner has changed there policy just lately ; they used to freely give out info

Here's a pdf on service the two common types of air dryer Freighliner has used for years .

And an air system diagram I got from F/L 12 years back when I got my coach .
NOTE : Your year of XC chassis might have different ride height valve locations , mine has two in front and one rear , others say two rear one front, the odd one has four.
Did you ask about joining DTNA Connect ?
Once joined up you can get a lot of info ( parts #s etc ) linked to your serial number .

EDIT: I see a number of members posted while I was typing ; sorry about any duplication.
Boy I type slow.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner air system diagram 1999.pdf (357.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf Air Dryer Maintenance web version.pdf (161.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-16-2022, 05:13 PM   #6

Tommy W; after looking over the air system diagram that John posted and the one I have there are many differences that will probably relate to your chassis build date . Your 2003 coach maybe built on a chassis that Freightliner produced in 2002 .

As I mentioned the ride height valves are in a different location and the diagrams with a dating 05/08/03 show a connection to a MMDC gauge control box where the 1999 diagram that was given to me linked to my serial number shows the VDC gauge controller .
The MMDC gauge system has this read out box ( picture below ) on the dash the VDC system does not ; maybe this info will help determine which diagram is more correct for your chassis .
Information I have is that 03 was the change over from VDC to MMDC , but specific date info is not available .
Issues like this make the fact that the Freightliner help line isn't distributing info linked to chassis serial numbers even more frustrating .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0932.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	365684  
Old 05-16-2022, 05:51 PM   #7

Thanks to all for your help with my air system….I ordered a new air dryer today and will install it next week. I will let you know how everything turns out.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:25 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Based on your description, this sounds like the purge valve on the bottom of the air dryer is stuck, or one of the lines to/from the air dryer started leaking. Soapy water would tell you if a line is leaking.

You can bench test the purge valve by capping the out port to the tank and presurize the air dryer via the in port to 125 psi. The pressure should hold. (I tested it 30 minutes with 0 psi loss. )
Old 05-17-2022, 09:35 AM   #9

Good morning DRM 901,

Thank you very much for your reply, I have not checked any hoses as of yet. I will be doing that on Friday with a friend of mine.

When I pressed up the rig air system with my shop compressor I checked the purge valve but could not feel any air blowing bye. I only felt air coming out of the top of the dryer. I will press up the air dryer Friday when I pull it out. I will let you know what I find.

Again thanks
Tommy W
Old 05-17-2022, 09:44 AM   #10

Depending on where you added shop air, you could be "down stream" of a check valve. So, may or may not give good feedback on air dryer.

When was the last time the air dryer was replaced/completely serviced?
Old 05-17-2022, 02:26 PM   #11

I do not know when air dryer was last serviced….I ordered a new one it will be here on Friday….I figured I would draw a line in the sand and let the air dryer and governor be my starting points.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:09 PM   #12

Ok guys I wanted to bring everyone up to date. I ordered a new Haldex dryer just in case it was needed. I climbed under the Motorhome with a good friend this morning, after disconnecting 2 of the 3 air lines going to the air dryer, my friend put is hand on top of the cannister and found the filter housing was very loose. We tighten the the filter housing and hooked up the air lines removed from the air dryer. Bingo almost instance air pressure. I did 3 system air test after restoring the air pressure and had no leaks.

Thanks to everyone for helping me to solve this issue.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:47 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
That is great news. Glad it was an easy fix.

Be sure to use loctite on the bolts. I think the serious pressurization & depressurization causes them to loosen.

Shoot, I use it on every bolt or screw I install or tighten. Or wood glue.

Tags
air